Thinking of becoming Vegan...

Options
2»

Replies

• lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My Doctor wants me to follow the "eat to live" lifestyle. He says its almost like vegan. He had me watch (on netflix) the movie "forks over knives" anyone have experience with this? I haven't bought the eat to live book yet, I'm having trouble starting this type of eating. Especially since my wife is hispanic and we are often at a carne asada a couple times a month.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options

It's annoying that carnivores are so brain washed to think that the "trivial" amounts of protein in vegetables and fruits don't add up

I just want to know if you know anyone who is actually a carnivore. Most people I know are omnivorous? My cats are carnivores, but I've never met any humans who are.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Furthermore, if you decide to stop eating these eggs, what do you plan on doing with them? Donating them? Throwing them out? Letting them rot where they lay? It seems that, ethically, letting the eggs from the hens and ducks go to waste would be wrong. There are so many people in this country who go hungry, who would love to eat those eggs, and in my mind, people matter more than unfertilized animal eggs. Please consider this before going vegan for ethical reasons. If you do not want to eat them yourself, please donate them to someone who does.
    My friend has a bird (mostly chicken / rooster) sanctuary and she feeds the eggs that the chickens produce back to the chickens. Look for Rooster Sanctuary at Danzig's Roost on Facebook if you want more details.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Vegan - I am against injustice.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i'm vegan. in september 2013 i went from being omnivorous to being vegan in about three weeks. just decided i wanted to take the leap and try it -- for ethical reasons as well as weight loss reasons. and it hasn't been so so hard -- especially the fact that there are vegan pastries and desserts definitely keeps me sane ;) lol, but in all seriousness, i quite enjoy it. it's amazing all the wonderful plants i eat, knowing i'm not consuming anything that was taken from an animal. i think daiya cheese is pretty good, and almond milk is yummy :) homemade cheeses like cashew cheese is really good! i missed eggs for a while, and still sometimes think about how yummy an egg and cheese omelet sounds, but the craving isn't really there. things are pretty good overall.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    vegans do not consume eggs because the egg industry murders all the male baby chicks when they are one day old AND the hens lead brief and miserable lives and are murdered when they no longer produce their egg quota
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea! I suggest checking out Freelee the Banana Girl on youtube. Be warned though, she might just blow your mind and everything you ever thought about calories and MFP out of the water. I've just recently become vegetarian, and I don't hold back. I have been buying fresh produce in bulk and eating until I feel satisfied, and I FEEL AMAZING.

oh lord please don't.

she's horrible.

I have been an ethical vegan for 43 years. It is easy to stick to it when your heart is in it. I oppose the murder of nonhuman creatures for any reason. After all this time, I STILL miss steak, roast beef, and especially cheese. and especially. Kraft classic mac-and-cheese!

where's the "like" button when you need it.
    Hahaha the comment about the banana girl made me lol for real. She is terrible and her advice is awful.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been considering going vegetarian. I eat a lot of meat-free meals, and am really into trying to cook vegan meals that anyone - omnivore or vegan - will like. I just haven't made the leap yet. I appreciate all the responses in this thread.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Furthermore, if you decide to stop eating these eggs, what do you plan on doing with them? Donating them? Throwing them out? Letting them rot where they lay? It seems that, ethically, letting the eggs from the hens and ducks go to waste would be wrong. There are so many people in this country who go hungry, who would love to eat those eggs, and in my mind, people matter more than unfertilized animal eggs. Please consider this before going vegan for ethical reasons. If you do not want to eat them yourself, please donate them to someone who does.
    My friend has a bird (mostly chicken / rooster) sanctuary and she feeds the eggs that the chickens produce back to the chickens. Look for Rooster Sanctuary at Danzig's Roost on Facebook if you want more details.

This makes sense. At least they are being recycled in a way. I still think it would be a more "ethical" thing to donate them to those who are less fortunate, but different strokes, I guess.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options

This makes sense. At least they are being recycled in a way. I still think it would be a more "ethical" thing to donate them to those who are less fortunate, but different strokes, I guess.

I can understand that, but by donating eggs you are still perpetuating the needs and demand for eggs by humans.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For all the talk about cheese - vegan cheeses are usually really gross (imho), but I had been craving nachos and stumbled upon a vegan nacho cheese sauce that is AMAZING! I wanted to eat it with a spoon. I originally got it from food.com (http://www.food.com/recipe/best-vegan-nacho-cheese-sauce-296110), but I tweaked it a bit. This makes a lot, but I no kidding put it on EVERYTHING for a week. It is that good.

VEGAN NACHO CHEESE SAUCE:

Nuts - Cashew nuts, raw, 275 g (about 2 cups - soaked overnight if you do not have a high powered blender)

Light (or heavy) soya cream - 175 mL (3/4 cup )

Water - 175 mL (3/4 cup)

Lemon juice - Raw, 51 g (yes, I weighed instead of using oz/mL- don't judge me - the juice of 1.5 lemons)

Spices - Paprika, 2 g (3/4 tsp)

Spices - Garlic powder, 5 g (1 heaping tsp)

Spices - Onion powder, 4 g (1 heaping tsp)

Spices - Sea Salt, 2 tsp (1.25g)

Nutritional Yeast Flakes, 50 g (a heaping 1/2 cup)

Siracha sauce, red pepper flakes, (or even hot pizza oil) - to taste

Add everything to a blender and blend until smooth. I have a Vitamix and blended the mixture until it started to steam. If you don't have a Vitamix, heat the mixture on the stove for about 20 minutes - stirring constantly to prevent burning; adding water to reach desired consistency.

When reheating, make sure you stir often or the mixture will basically coagulate. It's gross.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i could be wrong but i have a feeling thats illegal, i know forced cannibalism is but not sure where they would draw the line with eggs....
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i could be wrong but i have a feeling thats illegal, i know forced cannibalism is but not sure where they would draw the line with eggs....

^^ this. That just sounds so, so wrong.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

eggs are actually good for chickens, when we raised them we would often give them the shell back to eat. The eggs are not fertilized so there is no baby chicken they're eating.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

eggs are actually good for chickens, when we raised them we would often give them the shell back to eat. The eggs are not fertilized so there is no baby chicken they're eating.
    interesting, i just read up on it a bit and it seems that its fairly common for chickens to eat their own eggs, either with human intervention or without. like i said i just wasnt sure where the line was drawn with eggs
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I just hope there's no such thing as mad chicken disease!