Is anyone doing or has done a c210k?

Options
I'm going to start c210k next week to add a little cardio to my routine and keep me accountable. I never did c25k but I feel that I don't need to because I ran cross country in high school a few years ago and can still run a 5k in pretty decent time without stopping and being all wore out. Plus the c210k still starts off with a jog/walk interval to build into more running so I can still ease into it. But my problem is that I don't know how many times a week I need to do it or what the exact regimen is. I tried looking it up but I'm seeing a few different ways to do it so I am unsure which one to use. I got a c210k app on my Android that shows to do it 3 times per week. Should I just do it 3 times per week and do each session the way it is in the app or do I do it more often during the week and just progress through the app? I'm really confused and would like to do this in the best way possible so any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You should do it as the app instructs you to do. If you can comfortably run the 5k distance, you should be able to start your app around the 8 week mark if it includes the 5k portion. I am just completing the 10k bridge portion of C210k after never being able to run before in my life.

Good luck!
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am on the last workout of C25K and have the app for C210K. There are 3 workouts a week and I follow those because I want to give my legs a break. I lift or something on the off days. If you can run a 5K, I would suggest starting at the 10K mark. My app has the 5K built in, and starts at week 9 for 10K. That's what I plan to do, just skip the 5K training on the 10K app.
  • oneroanpony
    oneroanpony Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just used the c25k app to get back in to running after having a baby. The intervals are nice because they help you keep a better pace. Knowing that little break is coming helped me push. However, we ended up running the run part and jogging a slower pace during the walk portions. Just walking didn't get me that runner's high afterward so I didn't look forward to it or feel fired up. You might want to breeze through the first 8 weeks and do the workouts once instead of repeating them as scheduled, just to help set your pace during the shorter intervals. We ended up doing if 5-6 days a week, but that was all we were doing. Good luck! :)
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am on week 13 of the 14 week C210K, started C25K in late March. On the 10K program up until this week all 3 days have been the same so the first day I run at a pace to finish, the second day speed it up as much as i can to finish and if that was easy I skip the 3rd and just start the next week. As a working mother I don't plan it out, sometimes I run C210K runs, sometimes I freestyle outside with my running.

I do track all my runs (outside and treadmill) with mapmyrun. Love that part.
  • amorana1
    amorana1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I believe it is this month's edition of Runner's World that has a bit dedicated to the C210K program. Might be worth a look for you. Keep us posted. I am sure you will do marvelously.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Hal Higdon's novice 10k plan. I like it because it gives you the whole week's schedule. On the cross training days I do my strength training so it works out to a 50/50 cardio/strength mix.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I decided that I will start it right up in about week 6, that way I'm still easing into it but not spending too much time on the 5k section when I can do the 10k. I'm looking forward to this!
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    How is training going?

I have been finding the 10K training easier than the 5K training. Someone I talked to at work says the hardest run to train for is the 5K, then it's all easier. I'm beginning to think that is so, because I know how to pace myself and I know how to breathe now. I even looked up a few races in my area that offer a 10K option. I am thinking of doing one that is for the River Trail here.