Weight flucuations

Options
Hi, I am just starting out, a week now or so, and the other day I weighed myself and I had gained 5lbs overnight. Then the next day I rewieghed myself and I lost 6 lbs. Is this normal? I am about 175lbs and I wouldnt have thought i would/could flucuate THAT much day to day... is it more likely my scale had a bad day? Not too concerned so long as I keep trending downward, just i got a shock the other day!

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It is probably due to water weight. If you have consumed a lot of salt or sodium on a particular day, that can make you hold onto water. Also, I advise always weighing yourself first thing in the AM, nude, and after going to the bathroom, so that all you are weighing is your body and not your clothes, what you have eaten, wastes, etc.

If you aren't sure about your scale, test it with things you know the weight of. A gallon of liquid weighs 8 lbs. So pick up a gallon of something, step on the scale, then put down the gallon, and see if it goes down by exactly 8 lbs like it should. Or even two gallons; it should then differ by 16 lb. Hope that helps!
  • richardinengland
    richardinengland Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that helps, thank you.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Definitely normal. That's why a lot of people recommend you not weigh yourself daily.
  • richardinengland
    richardinengland Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I guess that makes sense,.... once a week would be good i guess, yeah? Thats what i will do i think. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal. So many things can impact the scale weight. That's why it's a good idea to measure and take pictures. The scale is a liar which cannot be trusted :grumble: