Help with Daily Caloric Intake and Exercise

Options
HappyTrails7
HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
I'm new to the site and want to ensure that the numbers I am using are correct. I have done quite a bit of reading and think the numbers are correct, but it would be great to have verification.

Sex - Male
Age - 54
Height - 5' 9"
Weight - 222.4
Goal weight - 180
Neck - 18.5"
Waist - 44"
Hip - 44"
Body fat - 28.9%

Harris-Benedict BMR - 1964
Light activity 2336 TDEE (-20% = 1869 calories per day)

Exercise equipment available - Elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike, kettle bells, dumb bells, weight machine, pool

How many times per week and how long per session should I use the various exercise equipment?

I do not plan to add any of the exercise calories back into my daily intake.

I appreciate all feed back, thank you.

Mike

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise at all right now? If you don't, I would suggest easing into it a bit rather than going full blast. The reason I say that is that it is easy to end up hurt or overwhelmed if you go whole hog right away. I started out by walking on the treadmill 3x a week, for about 30 minutes. Then I added in 3 strength training workouts a week (I used the Nerd Fitness beginner's bodyweight workout.) After that I switched over to doing the C25k running program instead of just walking on the treadmill. I would say I took about 4-6 weeks to transition to doing all of that. My starting point was pretty much "lump on the couch," for reference.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    did you have your body fat measured by a health care professional?

have you been working out - including regular walking - before today?
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

I have been using the treadmill (3.5 miles in an hour) three times a week
    Light swimming (1 hour per day) five times a week

I used an online calculators to determine % of body fat.

I will need to checkout the Nerd fitness book, it sounds interesting.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise at all right now? If you don't, I would suggest easing into it a bit rather than going full blast. The reason I say that is that it is easy to end up hurt or overwhelmed if you go whole hog right away. I started out by walking on the treadmill 3x a week, for about 30 minutes. Then I added in 3 strength training workouts a week (I used the Nerd Fitness beginner's bodyweight workout.) After that I switched over to doing the C25k running program instead of just walking on the treadmill. I would say I took about 4-6 weeks to transition to doing all of that. My starting point was pretty much "lump on the couch," for reference.

you know what.. I like this advice. Start slow. When you start to feel that it isn't enough (you aren't getting as sweaty) then slowly up the workout intensity or time or both. THat is how I started out. Focus on keeping track of what you eat and how much of it you eat. Lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. Congrats on the 6lbs lost. THat is a great start. Looks like you have the right amount of numbers as far as bmr and tdee goes. Just know that if you start to up the workouts, then you will need to reefed yourself. I tell everyone to keep a food journal. I use a notebook and write down everything I eat, do and feel for the day. It helps me a lot. Plus make yourself lots of small goals. Scale and nonscale related. Take it one choice, one day and one pound at a time. You can do it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Start off with walking (or swimming) an hour every day. If it's horrible outside, try something of similar effort such as stationary bike or treadmill. When that gets easy, walk every other day, and every other day work out on weight machines, remembering of course to do lower body and core, not just your upper body and arms. Then after that, switch the walking for a higher intensity cardio such as bicycle and/or elliptical. Make the weights heavier as needed to keep a challenging level. This is what my husband and I are doing and it's been working well.
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    Thanks to those who responded.

I think I have a good "Gentleman's" beginner's routine developed. (I didn't want to use the word old. :wink: )

1) Warm up for ten minutes on the stationary bike (2 miles).
    2) Octane Fitness Cross Circuit (Intervals consisting of 2 minutes of cardio, followed by 1 minute strength, repeated for 30 minutes.)
    3) Cardio (20 minutes of swimming.)
    4) Cool down and stretching (10 minutes in pool.)

I could feel the workout, but wasn't panting for breath when I was done, and still had a sufficient amount of energy to function normally. As time progresses, I plan to increase the intensity and/or duration.