Crash Diet :(

Options
2»

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is a perfectly normal reaction to returning to eating normally after a long period of extreme restriction. I would consider 1000 cals or lower extreme restriction, especially given your time frame. Your body is trying to replace the nutrients and energy you deprived it of. You will likely gain some weight back, and probably should before you work on maintenance.

You're probably not underweight as previously suggested... but that doesn't mean you're not undernourished. One does not have to be underweight to be undernourished. Been there, done that. Considering how extreme your diet was, you should focus more on recovering from the crash diet before you think of maintaining. Then, once the physical symptoms ease up, think about maintenance.
  • knezzy123
    knezzy123 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 19 years old and have been overweight my whole life. I tried to lose 100 lbs. before but I did it in an extremely unhealthy way. I lost almost 30 lbs. in 3 weeks but I was only eating 700 calories a day and was hitting the gym for 2 hours 7 days a week. I stopped for some reason one day and I gained it all back and then some, I had hit my highest weight almost 4 weeks ago and I decided to start again but this time I wanted to be patience and do it the right way, (I heard you can end up with loose skin if you lose weight too fast as well, and I really don't want that!) It has been three and half weeks and I have lost 17 lbs. I'm still not eating all the calories I need a day because of the shock I gave my system last time, I try to eat at least 900 calories a day and my most being 1400 a day! Crash diets work but they aren't permanent.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Lorjon,

I suggest getting professional help for this. You crash dieted to get to a certain place, and ow you are engaging in intense exercise to stay there. These behavior point to either an eating disorder or the propensity for one. You are also having physical symptoms after crash dieting. Please see a doctor.
  • Melynnie
    Melynnie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Lorjon

What kind of crash diet did you do to lose so much weight so fast?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 130 lbs. you're having trouble maintaining because you're underweight.

I agree, as others have - I am 5ft 3in and 130 is around the goal weight for me, and I feel like it's the low end for my height.

that is a BMI of 23, thus not really the low end for your height, given healthy BMI is between 18.5 and 25

Someone of 5'8 is considered to have a healthy BMI between the weights of 121.7 and 164.4, depending on build, of course. Thus the OP, with a BMI of 19.8 is definitely not underweight.
    I think BMI is not a good measure at all. Some of those low end weights are just...no.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Most dieters gain back all the weight and more, numerous times, no matter how quickly or how slowly they lost weight. Rarely does anyone lose weight on any type of diet and maintain their weight loss permanently. Not saying it can't be done-- saying usually, that isn't how it goes.
  • Lorjon1
    Lorjon1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey guys! I’m actually a guy :). Oh and I only ate 1 meal a day for about four months for my crash diet. So I guess Im getting two perspectives...should I slowly increase my caloric intake to repair metabolism or should I eat at TDEE for a while to repair my metabolism?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I’m actually a guy :). Oh and I only ate 1 meal a day for about four months for my crash diet. So I guess Im getting two perspectives...should I slowly increase my caloric intake to repair metabolism or should I eat at TDEE for a while to repair my metabolism?
    Either one, but don't panic when you gain weight at first. It's water & glycogen —just like you lost when you started your diet.

Have you seen a doctor about recovering from your eating disorder? Perhaps a nutritionist or dietician could help you make food choices?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Please change your profile to reflect your gender, as it currently indicates you are a female. It may change some of the responses.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I’m actually a guy :).
    Please change your profile to reflect your gender, as it currently indicates you are a female. It may change some of the responses.
    It will definitely increase your calorie goal!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You're a guy, 5 ft. 8 and 130 pounds? That means you are underweight. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

Sure, upping calories is the solution, but as I said upstream, you need to speak with a professional because it sounds like you have an eating disorder. Crash dieting to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time then maxing out on cardio to stay there is not a sign of a healthy diet and exercise plan.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 130 lbs. you're having trouble maintaining because you're underweight.

I agree, as others have - I am 5ft 3in and 130 is around the goal weight for me, and I feel like it's the low end for my height.

that is a BMI of 23, thus not really the low end for your height, given healthy BMI is between 18.5 and 25

Someone of 5'8 is considered to have a healthy BMI between the weights of 121.7 and 164.4, depending on build, of course. Thus the OP, with a BMI of 19.8 is definitely not underweight.

Just because it fits a Healthy BMI does not mean it's Healthy.

BMI is a silly measurement to base on a individual level
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I crashed diet for 18 months straight with more thanks recommended cardio and weight lifting. Went from 289.6 to 156.0 and couldn't shed anymore fat when o found out you can damage your metabolism like this so after 18 months of this I slowly went all the way back up to 2,200 Cal's a day and switched to low intensity cardio with Heavy lifting and slowly came back down to around 1700-1500 Cal's a day with Carb timing cause of my body type (endomorph) and got even leaner.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You just don't weigh enough. You don't have fat reserves to draw on and you're exercising more than your body has reserves to feed.

Actually, although people tend to regain after crash diets (as you obviously know), that is not inevitable. Try the basics. Add your current statistics into MFP. Set for maintenance. Log all your food AND EXERCISE. Eat what MFP tells you to - including your exercise calories. And make sure you're drinking enough and eating a healthy balanced diet.

You're asking your body to do too much with too few resources. It is sensibly telling you that it can't do it.