Increased appetite

Options
hj1119
hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
A little background - I'm 32 yo female, 5'10 started at 207 and currently 168. I lost the first 25 pounds on a pretty strict and boring schedule - protein shake for breakfast, mid morning snack, protein shake for lunch, mid afternoon snack, home cooked dinner - usually a side salad, a vegetable, and a lean protein. My mid morning snacks were between 100-200 cals - typically hard boiled eggs, string cheese, almonds, etc. For the first few weeks, I chose not to drink alcohol. I'm breastfeeding so I tried to stay around 1500 calories, never dipping below 1200, and always drinking about 128 oz of water a day.

For the next 15 pounds lost, I stayed on the same schedule - occasionally having a sub for lunch instead of a protein shake and having a few beers here and there.

6 weeks ago I decided I wanted to be more active so I started using a C25K app. I've been consistently going for runs 3 times a week. Also at the beginning of July, my husband and I started doing a 30 day dip and plank challenge.

The past week or two, I've just felt a serious increase in appetite. I'm still slowly losing .75-1 lb per week but I want to eat all the time. My morning and afternoon snacks aren't satisfying anymore and I tend to have them much earlier in the day than I used to. I would like to continue to lose weight and also feel satisfied during the day. I admit I've decreased my water intake (just not as conscious about drinking it all.the.time but I still get at least 64 oz a day) and didn't hard boil any eggs for snacks this week - could that be it? Or has increasing my activity level somehow made me hangry, even on my rest days?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Are you still breastfeeding? Generally, you want to eat more while breastfeeding. If your baby is growing and gaining weight properly, he/she may be in a growth spurt and may be nursing more. If your body is trying to make more breast milk for your little one, this could be why you've had a sudden increase in appetite. Definitely eat more than 1200-1500 calories - especially considering you're 5'10 and closer to your goal. I would up my calories considerably (try using Scooby's workshop calorie calculator and eat at maintenance).

.75 - 1 lb of weight loss a week for your height and weight is perfect if you only have ~30 lbs to go. You should not lose more than this considering your stats, especially while breastfeeding.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Are you still breastfeeding? Generally, you want to eat more while breastfeeding. If your baby is growing and gaining weight properly, he/she may be in a growth spurt and may be nursing more. If your body is trying to make more breast milk for your little one, this could be why you've had a sudden increase in appetite. Definitely eat more than 1200-1500 calories - especially considering you're 5'10 and closer to your goal. I would up my calories considerably (try using Scooby's workshop calorie calculator and eat at maintenance).

.75 - 1 lb of weight loss a week for your height and weight is perfect if you only have ~30 lbs to go. You should not lose more than this considering your stats, especially while breastfeeding.

I am still nursing - the baby is 11 months old and nursing less frequently now. I have been aiming for more lately... I actually raised my "goal" to 2250 but I aim for around 1750-1900... or around a 3500 a week deficit from my "goal". I have a hard time figuring out my TDEE even using the calculators.

Slow and steady :) He could be having a growth spurt though and that could be triggering my appetite. I hadn't thought of that, thanks :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    1750-1900 definitely seems more sustainable. Congrats on your progress so far! My littlest one is 6 months old, is no longer breastfeeding, and I'm just now getting around to logging and losing the weight, so I know the struggle is real.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You are BFing and you increased your exercise - that will do it. You may need to think about adding in another 100 calories of healthy protein & fat to help? Do you drink enough water? Every time I ramp up my exercise, I want to eat the whole kitchen. Once you get more used to it, your hunger will calm down a bit. Make sure you are eating some fats, too, they will help satiate you.