Welcome to all the newbies...including me!

Options
Hi everyone! Just started this new program today. I have done Weight Watchers for YEARS! I did manage to lose 25 pounds 3 years back, but then gained about 15 pounds back last year (I slacked a little). I jumped back on WW and lost 17 pounds. I've always exercised (usually a 2 mile walk-away-the-pounds 3 times a week). About a month ago, I tried a new more intense walk-away-the-pounds. I did that about 5 times a week, but managed to GAIN 5 pounds. Reason being, I noticed that when I started this more intense workout, I also began snacking a lot more during the day (usually sweets). I guess my body was telling me that I wasn't getting enough to eat, esp. since I was burning more calories. A friend at work told me that I most likely am not eating enough calories to keep up with my metabolism or drinking enough water (I'm not a fan of water). She was also told by her personal trainer that WW is great for people that are really overweight...but often doesn't work for folks that don't need to lose a lot of weight or that want to maintain their current weight. With WW, I could only have 19 pts a day (which equates to about 950-1050 calories). SOOO, I decided to try this out. According to this website, I should have about 1260 calories a day. Today was difficult trying to get out of the point mentality and actually eating more then I usually do (you don't often hear that).

So here I am. Let's give this a whirl!

Replies

• erkuhns79
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just started this new program today. I have done Weight Watchers for YEARS! I did manage to lose 25 pounds 3 years back, but then gained about 15 pounds back last year (I slacked a little). I jumped back on WW and lost 17 pounds. I've always exercised (usually a 2 mile walk-away-the-pounds 3 times a week). About a month ago, I tried a new more intense walk-away-the-pounds. I did that about 5 times a week, but managed to GAIN 5 pounds. Reason being, I noticed that when I started this more intense workout, I also began snacking a lot more during the day (usually sweets). I guess my body was telling me that I wasn't getting enough to eat, esp. since I was burning more calories. A friend at work told me that I most likely am not eating enough calories to keep up with my metabolism or drinking enough water (I'm not a fan of water). She was also told by her personal trainer that WW is great for people that are really overweight...but often doesn't work for folks that don't need to lose a lot of weight or that want to maintain their current weight. With WW, I could only have 19 pts a day (which equates to about 950-1050 calories). SOOO, I decided to try this out. According to this website, I should have about 1260 calories a day. Today was difficult trying to get out of the point mentality and actually eating more then I usually do (you don't often hear that).

So here I am. Let's give this a whirl!
  • cltimes2
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! So far, I've had success with the calorie counting (what goes in is less then what goes out) and sure enough, the weight is coming off. I tried WW once and was dreadfully hungry all of the time and couldn't stick with it. It lasted about 6 weeks before I gave up. I've been doing this for about 8 weeks now and have lost 16 lbs. More then I lost w/ WW and I feel like I could do this forever. Not feeling deprived at all!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I did Weight Watchers on and off for years and this site has worked better for me because it seems to be more straigh forward.

Best of luck to you!
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to you! Thanks for joining =)
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome. I got to my goal with WW and became a life time member and I basically got a pat on the back and a "see ya". All I had to do was go to 1 meeting a month or I had to pay again. I left WW and I am now doing something else I like much better. I go every week. I am accountable to those scales each and every Friday morning. It has helped me stay at my goal for 3 years now…..and counting :-)
    I joined here last Saturday and it has helped me so much to come here and read the posts and log my food. Coming here has helped keep me on track while I am losing those few “Vacation Pounds” I have gained.
    When I lose my “Vacation Weight” I will still come here for the support and to log my food because this is something I will need to watch and keep up with or I will gain the weight back…..and I sure don‘t want that to happen. This place is really great!
    Have A Great Day and Good Luck!
    Loretta
  • rraitt
    rraitt Posts: 23
    Options
    HELLO AND WELCOME
    I am a newbie also.... this is my first experience on a web site. I have often wondered about ww and if it would be the right thing for me. This seems to be working for me so far.
    good luck!
    you can do it
  • NoMoreAt3
    Options
    Welcome and hi to you, I just started today too! I have had some website experiance, and none were any good, they always lacked something or another. So far, this place lacks NOTHING! I personally have never joined an actual group before, but my sister is doing LA Weight Loss. So far (she's 12 weeks into it) it seems to be working for her. She's dropping the weight slow and steady, which is key. I have a good feeling that is what will happen with me on here with one HUGE difference...the COST!
    Anyways, best of luck to you and stick with, I know I will!!
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yep, the free thing is cool! I have my mom's Scottish blood - so the cheaper the better. hee hee
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Welcome newcommers! This site is wonderful for those of us that need that little motivational push and don't want to write down points all the time. I love the community, it really gets me past the isolation aspect of weight loss! For me that's a huge part, to see others suceeding and struggling the same way I do is a big help. So best wishes all, Lets get through the hollidays together!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Funny thing….I was just thinking about the holidays earlier today. If I can get through Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years with out going over my goal weight I will win the “Triple Crown Award”. So Yes let do get through the holidays together. I am so glad to have you guys here so we can do this together. I really would like to win that award this year. *Big Grin*
    Loretta
  • rissa1322
    rissa1322 Posts: 107
    Options
    hi everyone.. im new to this.. ill get into details about myself a bit later(im at work and have to make it quick) but i have a quick question.... is there a way once you save a meal to place it on a different time of day.. I saved a dinner and want to post it for lunch... thanks
    Carissa