Supporting scientific techniques and topics

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    has nerdgasm, falls over...
    And, from all that, THIS is the part that I get! Okay, somebody might have to do lots of explaining on the other stuff! :laugh:

don't knock the nerds, without us people would still be trying to lose weight with vibration belts and plastic sweat suites!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    don't knock the nerds, without us people would still be trying to lose weight with vibration belts and plastic sweat suites!
    :sick: I'll take running over plastic sweat suits any day.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    has nerdgasm, falls over...
    And, from all that, THIS is the part that I get! Okay, somebody might have to do lots of explaining on the other stuff! :laugh:

LOL, I don't know if you've noticed but they still are. They've just taken the lastest form in miracle shoes, bar bells that shake, and a velcro around the waist vibrating belts. Not to mention the Thigh Master!
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I'm finding the discussion very interesting. Thanks for creating the thread.

As to the article you've been discussing, I will need to read it 3 or 4 more times to fully process it. My mind is just too fogged. Did I understand correctly that initially people started burning more calories at rest? I'll try to read the article again this weekend when my brain is rested.

I want to post about the so-called toning shoes. As a physical therapist, I'm asked about them all the time.

When I first researched the issue there was only 1 study by Skechers that had 10 subjects but 1 dropped out due to pregnancy. The study showed an overall increase in fitness but the study was flawed as the fine print at the end admitted the participants were told maintain their current activity level and the majority of the 9 admitted increasing their activity level because they liked the shoes. Unfortunately, Skechers is "updating" their website and I can't find that article.

I did find an article comparing Rebocks, MBT, Sketchers and regular New Balance shoes. This study found no difference in the use of the toning to regular shoes.

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/toningshoes-findings.pdf

Of the other studies that I found, most showing an improvement don’t show whether this increased muscle activity leads to meaningful changes in muscle tone/appearance over time (ie. once the walker becomes accustomed to the shoe)...

MBT website get kudos for at least making the research available on the website but most are only the abstracts.

http://us.mbt.com/Home/Benefits/Studies.aspx

One study of 29 control and 30 test subjects by MBT did state: No improvements with strength, mobility or walking speed. They did find an improvement in coordinative skills. I only found the abstract to this article:

http://cdn-colo-ch-2.mbt.com/CMSPages/GetBinaryFile.aspx/4bc8fb5b0579de5497f4dad2f3dc9d53

Another article actually stated "we assume the difference is the shoe" and then stated further research needed (*face palm*).

Reebok's claim to fame is based on a non-peer reviewed study of 5 - yes 5 people. A New York Times article stated "But the claim that the shoes offer muscle toning is backed by a single study involving just five people, not published in a peer-reviewed academic journal. In that study, done at the University of Delaware, five women walked on a treadmill for 500 steps wearing either the EasyTone or another Reebok walking shoe, and while barefoot. Using sensors that measure muscle activity, the researchers showed that wearing the EasyTone worked gluteal muscles an average of 28 percent more than regular walking shoes. Hamstring and calf muscles worked 11 percent harder."

In my quick search tonight, I could not find the original Reebock study (probably because it's not peer reviewed:wink:)

My general advice to clients is go to the store and walk in the toning shoes for as long as possible. If they feel comfortable, you have an extra $100 to spend, and you think you will walk more in them, then get them. Anything to get people moving. IMHO, the psychological aspect may get people to exercise more even if there are no scientific benefits.

I have tried the shoes and you stand with weight distributed differently than standard shoes. Several clients with low back pain have told me walking is painless in the shoes so they do move more.

What's your opinion on the shoes?
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Bump!

I just discovered this via Binary_Jesters post on another thread!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    @pinbot, yes you were correct in your initial read, because the body continues to burn stored glycogen, but also starts to liberate more energy (via a combination of insulin suppression that goes along with ketosis and the uptick of the Krebs cycle because the body is recognizing the lack of energy incoming), the body can now burn fuel at a higher rate (please note, this is a very small increase, on the scale of maybe 100 or so extra cals a day). This only lasts until glycogen stores are depleted though, once that happens, everything slows down. Depending on the level of undernourishment, the size of the person (thus available glycogen stores) and genetic factors dictating their BMR, it can be anywhere from 60 hours to 7 days until that glycogen is depleted, but usually if it's a significant level of undernourishment, it's around 72 hours .

As to the shoe thing. I read that ace article too, and I would generally agree with it. I tend to put very little stock in any study done with the backing of a party that has a vested interest, at least until it is peer reviewed by unbiased parties that have credibility. So all those research studies done by the shoe companies, I just toss em, because to date (and maybe someone has found some, if you have, please forward the info to me) I have yet to find one of those studies that has had their conclusions backed by outside research firms.
    But I would agree with you, if it gets people moving, and it's not detrimental to their health (of that, at least, I'm more certain of), fine by me. It does pain me to hear about so many people walking for exercise though. Unless you are physically unable to do more, I find walking to be a very mediocre form of exercise. It's not an indictment of walking, I'm all for people using walking as a stepping stone, but not as a primary exercise, at least not after the first few weeks or so. Once you get the body moving, I feel that they should move on to something with more upside.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Seriously you guys are going to kill me. I remember reading about how fight catecholamines were tied into something about weight loss, but I don't remember where. Now I have to go track that down.

You are correct. Adipocytes contain an enzyme called hormone sensitive lipase (HSL)..HSL stimulates fat breakdown and is stimulated by catecholamines.
  • robinson121
    Options
    Hi,
    I am Robinson
    You should have a workout routine to follow.
    ==========================================================
    workout routines
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love the science behind it all.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    @pinbot, yes you were correct in your initial read, because the body continues to burn stored glycogen, but also starts to liberate more energy (via a combination of insulin suppression that goes along with ketosis and the uptick of the Krebs cycle because the body is recognizing the lack of energy incoming), the body can now burn fuel at a higher rate (please note, this is a very small increase, on the scale of maybe 100 or so extra cals a day). This only lasts until glycogen stores are depleted though, once that happens, everything slows down. Depending on the level of undernourishment, the size of the person (thus available glycogen stores) and genetic factors dictating their BMR, it can be anywhere from 60 hours to 7 days until that glycogen is depleted, but usually if it's a significant level of undernourishment, it's around 72 hours .

As to the shoe thing. I read that ace article too, and I would generally agree with it. I tend to put very little stock in any study done with the backing of a party that has a vested interest, at least until it is peer reviewed by unbiased parties that have credibility. So all those research studies done by the shoe companies, I just toss em, because to date (and maybe someone has found some, if you have, please forward the info to me) I have yet to find one of those studies that has had their conclusions backed by outside research firms.
    But I would agree with you, if it gets people moving, and it's not detrimental to their health (of that, at least, I'm more certain of), fine by me. It does pain me to hear about so many people walking for exercise though. Unless you are physically unable to do more, I find walking to be a very mediocre form of exercise. It's not an indictment of walking, I'm all for people using walking as a stepping stone, but not as a primary exercise, at least not after the first few weeks or so. Once you get the body moving, I feel that they should move on to something with more upside.

Just an FYI, re-reading this, I came down pretty harsh on walking here. I didn't really mean to, my point about walking as exercise was simply that there are more efficient, low impact, ways to produce a higher calorie burn with less stress on the body, swimming and the elliptical come to mind (as off the cuff examples). For those that can't do these other forms, I have no problem with walking. I am simply suggesting that if your body can handle it, and you want to make improvements, walking should be one step in a gradual upward climb of exercise intensity.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Bump.

Don't let me die, please people. post stuff!!!
  • JoyousRen
    Options
    big fan of coffee before workouts. Coffiene breaks down to Paraxanthine (and a couple others, but mainly this one) which stimulates lipidosys. this means more Free fatty acids in the blood, I.E. more fast ATP generation, which means more high energy work before your muscles get all anaerobic and stuff.

Would this have any benefit for lifting or just with cardio?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Stolen from Men's Health

Caffeine: Your Fitness Fuel

The chemical structure of caffeine closely resembles that of adenosine, a sleep-promoting compound. Caffeine crowds out adenosine by binding to its receptors in your brain and in muscle cells. Nerve cells begin to fire rapidly. The cortisol may reduce your rate of perceived exertion and level of pain, helping to increase performance.

Your hypothalamus signals an emergency to your pituitary gland, which triggers the flow of stress hormones from your adrenal glands.

* eyes dilate
    * blood vessels constrict
    * liver releases sugar

Caffeine helps calcium flood into muscle cells, so more muscle fibers are recruited.

Adrenaline frees fatty acids into your blood, preserving starch stores for long term energy, while sugar from the liver serves as instant energy.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    big fan of coffee before workouts. Coffiene breaks down to Paraxanthine (and a couple others, but mainly this one) which stimulates lipidosys. this means more Free fatty acids in the blood, I.E. more fast ATP generation, which means more high energy work before your muscles get all anaerobic and stuff.

Would this have any benefit for lifting or just with cardio?

actually it's better for resistance (lifting) type stuff than for aerobic activity. Since the ATP isn't ever completely depleted in aerobic work (cardio) and it is in anaerobic work (like lifting), this could possibly extend the amount of time you can work with oxygen (aerobically) before running out of fuel (fatigue).
  • JoyousRen
    Options
    actually it's better for resistance (lifting) type stuff than for aerobic activity. Since the ATP isn't ever completely depleted in aerobic work (cardio) and it is in anaerobic work (like lifting), this could possibly extend the amount of time you can work with oxygen (aerobically) before running out of fuel (fatigue).

That is great news. I lift in the morning so drinking my coffee first is easy but there is no way I can drink it before I run in the evening. Thanks.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

That is great news. I lift in the morning so drinking my coffee first is easy but there is no way I can drink it before I run in the evening. Thanks.

oh, I did forget to mention that the effectiveness of caffeine goes way down the more you use it? Your body adapts to caffeine unfortunately.
  • JoyousRen
    Options

oh, I did forget to mention that the effectiveness of caffeine goes way down the more you use it? Your body adapts to caffeine unfortunately.

*pop!* That was the sounds of my bubble bursting.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    What if you cycle off of it for say, a week or 2 at a time?