Am I supposed to be this weight forever?

Options
I'm not perfect... and nobody is. I am wondering, do you think your body just needs to be the weight it is? I am 5'8'' and am stuck at 160. I workout in the mornings Monday - Saturday (most weeks). However, I know my eating isn't perfect and that is something I am really struggling with. Do you think it's realistic for me to be upset that I can't seem to lose weight or do you think I am just not eating the right foods to actually lose weight. Let me know what you think! I guess I though I was still getting the 500 calorie deficit every day from my workouts so it should be fine, maybe not though. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that if you aren't losing weight then you aren't at a deficit.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you loss weight? If you don't have a medical conditon that is preventing or masking your weight loss then your issue is with your food. How are your measuring, weighing, and tracking your food and exercise calories burn?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I know my eating isn't perfect and that is something I am really struggling with.
    Fix this first. Perfection isn't required, but you need to know how many calories you're consuming everyday.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter WHAT you eat for weight loss, all that matters is total calorie intake. If you're not losing weight, you're not in a calorie deficit, simple as that.
  • allisonwalt
    allisonwalt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Branstin, the last time I lost weight was a couple of years ago... my sophomore year of college. I lost 20 pounds and have been struggling ever since. I do have a food scale that I use and that helps but my problem is finding recipes that I can stand to eat for 2-5 days at a time because I live by myself. I don't have any medical conditions that I know of. I have been under a lot of stress lately with two of my grandparents recently passing away but nothing that sent me into a state of depression or anything.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal, the harder it is to lose. Your body sees it's fat stores are falling short, and it wants to hang on to that fat. Also, most of the time, calorie burn from exercise is overestimated from cardio machines, and HRM's. Just hang in there, don't obsess over the scale, (hard as it may be) and just try to eat healthier. Know that it will probably be a slow process, and just keep doing what you're doing. Maybe try increase activity a bit more. Good luck, I know it's hard and aggravating. I'm right there with ya'!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You're within a healthy weight for your height, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to stay there if you're happy with the way you look. But it sounds like you aren't.

I'm going to agree with those above me and say that if you're not losing then there's something off with the accuracy of your numbers.

But it may also be a good idea to reconsider what your goals are. Is it just the number on the scale you want to see change? Or are you looking to change the way your body looks? A recomposition-style routine might give you more of the results you're looking for.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Branstin, the last time I lost weight was a couple of years ago... my sophomore year of college. I lost 20 pounds and have been struggling ever since. I do have a food scale that I use and that helps but my problem is finding recipes that I can stand to eat for 2-5 days at a time because I live by myself. I don't have any medical conditions that I know of. I have been under a lot of stress lately with two of my grandparents recently passing away but nothing that sent me into a state of depression or anything.

If the last time you lost weight was a couple of years ago, then I think you know what you need to do. You're not at a calorie deficit. You need to look at what you're eating. Log and weigh everything! Eat back appx 1/2 of your exercise calories. Good luck!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

I am sorry to hear about your grandparents. Stress could definitely interfere with weight loss. Here is a great link to help you get back on track.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Here are a few sites for recipes:

http://www.fitclick.com/recipe_maker_finder

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    do you think your body just needs to be the weight it is?
    No.
    I know my eating isn't perfect and that is something I am really struggling with. Do you think it's realistic for me to be upset that I can't seem to lose weight or do you think I am just not eating the right foods to actually lose weight.
    In English, please? :noway:
    I guess I though I was still getting the 500 calorie deficit every day from my workouts so it should be fine, maybe not though.
    No, you're not in a deficit if you're not losing weight. Don't rely on workout to create the deficit. Instead, be accurate, honest and consistent in logging your food.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You eat too much