Bodybugg / BodyMedia sleep tracking & subscription?

Options
Do the Bodybugg v3 or sp versions track sleep like the Bodymedia (was GoFit) do? They are the same company but it doesn't say on the site if Bodybuggs do a sleep assessment. Bodymedia advertises it.

I would like the Bodymedia to get a complete 24hr calorie count, but the Bodybuggs are more available on Craigslist.

Also, do you HAVE to pay for the online subscription with either company, or can you track you calories on your own computer without subscription?

Has anyone returned a Bodybugg and had issues with getting their money back?

Its a big purchase so I have concerns.

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You have to subscribe to sync the armband and view your stats. You might be able to just use the display, but I'm not sure. The hourly breakdown and reports are very useful for tracking progress.
  • n1xri
    n1xri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The BodyBugg does track resting calories if you are wearing it. My husband has been using his SP for about a week now and likes it.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The Bodybugg does not do sleep assessments. What is that, anyway? You do need to pay for an online tool (9.95/month) in order to track your food and sync your armband - that's how you can really see your deficit. I love mine - I've learned a lot by using it. The digital display will show you your burn and steps, but it won't show you your deficit - you need to log your food to do that, and for me, that was key!
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The Bodybugg does not do sleep assessments. What is that, anyway?

Bodymedia (same company, different model armband) tracks your resting time as time lying down & time actuually asleep, and your sleep efficiency, and (the main reason I am interested in it) it tracks your calories burned while asleep to get a 'true' 24 hour reading.
    http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Learn-More/How-it-works

I also read somewhere that the latest Bodybugg does that too,
    although I also read that Bodymedia doesnt require subscription but I dont know if thats true.
    The BodyBugg does track resting calories if you are wearing it. My husband has been using his SP for about a week now and likes it.
    Can he see all the tracking on his phone without the 3G or edge connected to their site?

Thanks for your feedback!
    Bodybugg looks nicer - sleek black prettier than the hospital grey Bodymedia :).
    Trying to compare the two before I buy :)
  • getfitkimmy
    Options
    I was a Bodybugg coach for about a year and also use the bodybugg myself. It is a great tool and does estimate resting calories based on your weight, age, etc. When you get your actual reading for the day, it does take resting calories into consideration. I no longer sleep wearing mine because I found that their estimate was pretty accurate. I was not a fan of their database for food logging so I logged my calories in other calorie counting databases. Otherwise it's a great product.
  • getfitkimmy
    Options
    You do need the subscription to view calories burned and cannot use the display without it. I just had to renew mine after letting it lapse. The reason is, your bodybugg is registered to you as a user in order to use your personal measurements, age and gender into consideration to accurately measure calories burned. Once your subscription lapses, you are no longer registered therefore it doesn't work.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you GetFitKimmy, and everyone! I think I may go for a Bodybugg via ebay if you say the sleep portion's pretty accurate!
  • n1xri
    n1xri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you can always see calories burned since that is downloaded to the phone from the device, so all you need is bluetooth-you can see the calories consumed from the last time it was connected but i do not think you can enter calories consumed if it is not connected

hope that helps