Please help!

Options
Hi everyone.

I don't understand this. I started using MAP when I was 75kg back in January. My calorie goal has been 1530. Now I am 64.4 kg, updated my weight and clicked 'yes' on the option that said 'update goal' and now my calorie goal shows as being 1350. How can that be? I thought that the heavier you are the more you need to cut back on your calories and not other way around. I am so confused, please help. By the way I am only 165cm tall so I am.still far from my goal.

Thank you

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Your body needs less calories as it gets smaller.
  • ItsRobyn66
    ItsRobyn66 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your body needs less calories as it gets smaller.

I agree.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You also need to adjust the number of pounds per week you said you'd like to lose. 1-1.5 per week was fine when you started but 1/2-1 per week would be more reasonable for you now. Once you do that, your daily calorie goal should be a bit higher.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A smaller body uses less energy (calories) at the same activity than a larger body. There are a couple of ways you can go about this.

a. As you lose weight, increase your exercise intensity, time, distance, etc. to increase your burn.
    b. Adjust your goal to aim for a smaller deficit. Such as if you were at a 750 per day deficit to lose 1.5 pounds per week, decrease to 500/1 pound.
    c. Eat less. <--Of course this one is only an option for so long. At some point you'll need a, b or a combination of a & b.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The two things that are affecting your calorie goal here are your size and your weight loss goal.

As you lose weight your body uses fewer calories to do the same tasks. You logged a lower weight, so your calorie level dropped accordingly.

But, as you lose weight you also want to lower your weight loss goal, which would give you more calories. MFP doesn't do this automatically, so it thinks you still want to lose the same amount per week. Go in and manually lower your weight loss goal and you should see your calorie goal even out a little bit (though you may still need to eat less).
  • cardosium
    cardosium Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.

Thank you so much for your speedy replies. My weight loss goal has always been 0.5 kg per week. I don't think it can be any lower than that :-(