How accurate was/is yours??

Options
How accurate was everyones projected 5 wk weight?? The one you get after completing your entry for the day.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Mine was very accurate during the first 10 months or so.

Since then, it's off by several pounds all of the time. My weight loss has slowed down a lot going toward my goal.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    That is only accurate if you eat at the EXACT SAME deficit each day for 5 weeks. Basically what that does is take your built in calorie deficit (whatever you put in that gives you the one pound per week, or 1.5 pounds per week, or whatever), adds or subtracts based on whether you were under or over your calorie goal for the day, and then multiplies by 35 days, and then calculates fat loss.

For instance, you are set to lose one pound per week (500cal/day deficit), but you go under your net cals by 250 one day. When you hit finish, it is going to tell you that you will weigh 7.5 pounds less than your most recent weight in 5 weeks (try it one day).

It's just an estimate. There's hardly going to be a way to prove it, b/c you can't eat exactly the same thing every day and burn exactly the same amount of calories each day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It was more or less accurate for me, but I was also very consistent in hitting my goals, didn't "cheat" and was pretty meticulous about using my food scale and measuring utensils for just about everything. I also didn't eat out much and left myself as little room for error as possible.

Keep in mind that it's a projection and it could be more accurate or less accurate from week to week given that weight loss isn't a linear function. You have to look at the trend...for most of my time on MFP I was set to lose about 1 Lb per week...I didn't lose exactly 1 Lb per week every single week, but as a general trend over the course of about 9 months it averaged out to around 1 Lb per week loss making those 5 week projections more or less accurate.
  • remieres93
    remieres93 Posts: 45
    Options
    While my scale is always the one that's slightly inaccurate, I opted to not change my Current Weight other than ONCE a month on the same day that I started weighing myself. Based on what it told me I'd lose after 5 weeks after my first diary entry, it's actually pretty accurate now that I think about it. I started at 185 on June 10th and after the first one it told me I'd weigh 177 in 5 weeks, the lowest it said id be was 174. My scale fluctuates me anywhere from 174-181, usually in the 175-178 area. So, pretty accurate.
  • princess71903
    princess71903 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping I lose more than mine says. I want to be 135 by the end of august
  • remieres93
    Options
    I see that your weight loss tracker says you have 25 lbs to go. I'm not trying to discourage anyone of course, but realistically if you want to lose 25 lbs in 6 weeks that means you have to on average lose 5 lbs a week. That'd probably be ridiculously difficult, and ridiculously unhealthy. The smaller you are, the less calories you burn naturally, and the more exercise and work you have to put into losing the weight.

I would say however, that I'm sure that you could probably lose 25 lbs by early to mid October. :)
  • princess71903
    Options
    I see that your weight loss tracker says you have 25 lbs to go. I'm not trying to discourage anyone of course, but realistically if you want to lose 25 lbs in 6 weeks that means you have to on average lose 5 lbs a week. That'd probably be ridiculously difficult, and ridiculously unhealthy. The smaller you are, the less calories you burn naturally, and the more exercise and work you have to put into losing the weight.

I would say however, that I'm sure that you could probably lose 25 lbs by early to mid October. :)

Thanks for saying this politely instead of being nasty, short, and negative like all others here
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I am losing at a faster rate than "if every day was like this you would weight xxx".

Edited to add It drives me crazy though
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Mine is very accurate. It always says 10 lbs lighter in 5 weeks, and I've been losing 2 lbs per week on a regular basis, for now.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Since then, it's off by several pounds all of the time. My weight loss has slowed down a lot going toward my goal.

This exactly!
  • remieres93
    Options

This exactly!

As you get smaller, your numbers change. You don't burn as many calories per day naturally.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned
    Use this site with your current information, and it'll tell you how many calories on estimate you'll burn a day no matter what you eat or how much exercise you do. 1lb= 3,500 calories, so if you've lost a lot of weight you may only burn 1200-1500 calories a day naturally. so if youre eating 1200-1500 calories a day you'll maintain weight. It's when you have to put exercising more into a higher gear...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Not accurate at all :(
  • princess71903
    Options

This exactly!

As you get smaller, your numbers change. You don't burn as many calories per day naturally.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned
    Use this site with your current information, and it'll tell you how many calories on estimate you'll burn a day no matter what you eat or how much exercise you do. 1lb= 3,500 calories, so if you've lost a lot of weight you may only burn 1200-1500 calories a day naturally. so if youre eating 1200-1500 calories a day you'll maintain weight. It's when you have to put exercising more into a higher gear...

Well this site said I burn 1954 a day. MFP says only around 1700 burned a day. So who knows which site is right cause they will all say something different. I eat less than 1200 a day and I've only lost a few lbs but it was TOM so that's where the few lbs lost came from
  • remieres93
    Options
    Well depending on how many lbs you want to lose a week, and what all your information is on here. If you're looking to lose 1.5-2 lbs a week it's going to tell you to eat a different calorie intake