Starting Interval Training

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, this afternoon I'm going to start my 10 week interval training regimen.

I'm going to use the couch to 5k plan from here:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Now, i'm probobly going to do this in a public park, but even so, how important are proper running shoes? Should I pick a pair up this afternoon?

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    So, this afternoon I'm going to start my 10 week interval training regimen.

I'm going to use the couch to 5k plan from here:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Now, i'm probobly going to do this in a public park, but even so, how important are proper running shoes? Should I pick a pair up this afternoon?
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Good shoes can make a BIG difference in recovery time. if you wear bad ones and get shin splints and strain muscles you will have a hard time keeping to the plan. You should be able to find some good supportive runnign shoes for pretty cheap tho! Good luck!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes make all the difference in the world!!! Definitely can make you faster, stronger, able to leap tall park benches in a single bound! :laugh:

Okay, seriously they are very important.
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I bought new shoes yesterday and my run was a lot less strenuous. The guy at the store said make sure they a flexible so your foot doesn't have to work as hard. He was right-it was great. I also feel like a fooll when I run and the shoes made me feel a little bit more official and like I had a right to be there. Silly, but true.

Hey congrats on taking the leap! I know running is hard for you. I think you'll enjoy it in the end.
  • msarro
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I've been doing an hour or so of cardio every day, so I'm hoping my heart is up to the challenge. I figure this should help ease me into it. If I need to I'll stay on the first week as long as I need, but I don't see this being too difficult off the bat considering most of my indoor cardio involves jogging and walking in place mixed with aerobics.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running, it's a good idea to get shoes at a speciality running store. They should have you try on shoes and ideally have a treadmill to watch you run in them.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running, it's a good idea to get shoes at a speciality running store. They should have you try on shoes and ideally have a treadmill to watch you run in them.

Just what I want is some poor person to have to watch my big *kitten* jiggle around on a treadmill!

Anyway, I get a 1/2 size larger shoe for running than for other activities to keep the toes from getting jammed up, blisters on your toes are killer, make sure you have plenty of room in the toe box!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    How do you know when you've found a good running shoe?? By the time you've ran in them... too late to take em' back. I don't know of nay specialty stores in my area????:huh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    How do you know when you've found a good running shoe?? By the time you've ran in them... too late to take em' back. I don't know of nay specialty stores in my area????:huh:

Do you ever get to a city that has a running store? I used to get shin splints, but haven't since I was fitted with a good pair of shoes. I :love: my New Balance shoes. :smile:
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I know I look a little "off", but I do sprints in the store, jumping jacks and jog in place to see how they fit. I don't run, but I walk a lot and like the same support.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

you should immediately know when you try them on, if they feel like they fit to your feet then you're well on your way, Put them on and (if you're in a mall, ask if you can walk up and down the mall a few hundred yards. If it's a single store, well, ask what the return policy is. Most will give you a day or 3 to test the shoe out.