Buffalo Turkey Burgers

Options
ashthecat15
ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
I found a recipe on Pinterest for Buffalo Turkey burgers. It sounded like a good idea, but I didn't love the recipe. So, I made my own.

1/2 medium onion
Tbsp of minced garlic (I buy the already cut up stuff)
1 tsp olive oil (for browning onions, and garlic)
Up1 1/2 lbs lean (93/7) ground turkey
1 large egg
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup franks red hot sauce
2 tbsp hidden valley ranch mix
4 tsp olive oil (for browning burger in)

First I chopped my onions ( not too big). Sauté onions in 1 tsp olive oil (I actually just sprayed the pan from my Misto). Let them cook until slightly brown. Once the onions are brown add the garlic. Let them sauté until the garlic is fragrant (about 2 minutes). Out the turkey, and all other ingredients in bowl (except olive oil!). Add your onion/garlic mixture in with all the other stuff. Mix it up until everything is combined. Don't over mix. If you mix it too much you'll end up with tough burgers. Now, form your burgers. I ended up with 6 4oz burgers, and 1 6oz burger. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Once it's hot add half of your burgers. Brown on both sides then transfer to a baking sheet. Add other 2 tbsp of oil to pan, and repeat. Once all of your burgers are brown put the baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes. The 6oz burger took an extra 5 minutes. I added a slice of mozzerella to mine, hubby had chipotle Gouda on his. I served them on 100 calorie English muffins with spinach, and extra Franks Red Hot.

I entered the recipe into MFP as 7 servings. It's probably not exactly right because one burger was 6oz, but it came out to 161 calories per burger. Obviously that's before bread, and cheese, but still not bad for a burger. Not to mention delicious!

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish...thanks
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. It sounds really good. :)
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    This sounds scrummy. Thanks for sharing
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I was curious about the title, then saw there was no buffalo in it.:frown:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was curious about the title, then saw there was no buffalo in it.:frown:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

We do eat buffalo over here. I prefer to use it in meatballs. I don't enjoy the texture of buffalo in a burger. I don't know why.