Weight Lifting Calories Consumed Question

Options
This is probably a bit of a silly question, but I just need clarification.

When people on here are talking about how many calories they consume whilst weight lifting, are they talking about the calories they've actually physically eaten, or what calories they've consumed after MFP adjustments (e.g. you physically ate 1900 calories, less 400 calories from exercise, total 1500 calories consumed according to MFP)?

I personally only refer to what I've actually physical eaten, but was wondering if that's what everyone else does too when working towards their goals, be it for bulking or cutting or maintaining.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you eat 1900 calories because that's the amount that will get you to your goal but then you burn 300 with exercise, your body won't have the 1900 calories it needs to work with. i eat 1200 NET calories per day, which means i do eat back at least part of what i burn working out. otherwise i'd be under-eating.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, are you weight training?

I'm currently trying to build muscle (only new to it), and have been reading lots of threads about it where people refer to how much they're eating in order to either bulk or create a slight deficit to cut. I'm just trying to clarify if they're only talking calories consumed (as it can be very hard to determine calories burnt from strength training) or they're talking net calories.
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    Bump

I would like others' input too, please. Particularly those that are weight training.

I'm just interested in how other people understand what is regularly referred to in the forums as intake for cutting/maintaining/bulking. So many people say they eat around 2000 calories/day and I can only assume it means before exercise calories are taken out, because 2000 calories/day net seems very high. However, I am only new to the weight training game.

Personally, I eat 1800-1900 calories/day before exercise calories are deducted.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I use gross cals. Regular exercise schedule means I know approximate TDEE hence no need to record exercise cals.
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I thought but just wanted to confirm.
  • drdocument
    drdocument Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this, too. My 2-3 workouts per week each consist of burning about 150-200 calories on elliptical followed by about 20 min. of weight training interspersed with calisthenics. Because I am unsure of calories burned by weight training, I enter about 75% of that training time in MFP.

My MFP nutritional goals are set at 1200 net cal/day, 15 g carbs, 40 g fat, 195 g protein.

Over the past year I have dropped 15 pounds, 5 waist inches, reduced body fat from 23% to 9% and am now at 44% skeletal muscle (last two per Omron HBF 514). Resting metabolism is about 1670 cal.

My attention is more on carbs than calories (I try to always enter net effective carbs), and I usually take in around 1900 cal/day and usually about 20 g carbs.

I still want to drop another inch around the waist, and tighten up core, but so far it seems to be working.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this, too. My 2-3 workouts per week each consist of burning about 150-200 calories on elliptical followed by about 20 min. of weight training interspersed with calisthenics. Because I am unsure of calories burned by weight training, I enter about 75% of that training time in MFP.

My MFP nutritional goals are set at 1200 net cal/day, 15 g carbs, 40 g fat, 195 g protein.

Over the past year I have dropped 15 pounds, 5 waist inches, reduced body fat from 23% to 9% and am now at 44% skeletal muscle (last two per Omron HBF 514). Resting metabolism is about 1670 cal.

My attention is more on carbs than calories (I try to always enter net effective carbs), and I usually take in around 1900 cal/day and usually about 20 g carbs.

I still want to drop another inch around the waist, and tighten up core, but so far it seems to be working.

This is the "Gaining Weight" section of the forum, FYI.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I personally use net cals, however I generally use gross cals when talking/writing about it since gross cals are more universal.

Using gross cals lets you get around the issue that most people dramatically underestimate strength training calories. People that use net cals have to understand this otherwise gaining is going to be a problem.

Using net cals allows you to keep a constant surplus by varying daily intake instead of keeping a constant intake by varying daily surplus. I think using net cals allows to to gain a little cleaner.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use net calories. Partly because I get hungrier on days I lift and my post workout meal always seems to burn right up! My schedule is also hectic and I may go three day without a change to lift, but then be able to squeeze in a two a day split workout if I know I can't hit the gym for a few days (not ideal, but the best I can do sometimes!).

As long as you are accurate with your logging, the difference should be negligible. My advice is to do what is easier for you to maintain.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do my TDEE and I also watch my macros, for strength training, it's important to eat enough protein and to eat enough to feed your muscles. So, I enter my workout as 1 calorie since I'm trying to stick to my TDEE.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do my TDEE and I also watch my macros, for strength training, it's important to eat enough protein and to eat enough to feed your muscles. So, I enter my workout as 1 calorie since I'm trying to stick to my TDEE.

This.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Why do you care abou others numbers? That seems like just as much a distraction as trying to digest others training routines.

I NET 2450 while bulking at 1# gain a week. I gross over 4000 if I do extensive biking.

ETA:

Bros notoriously lie about how much they eat cuz they are morons
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

This.

Yes.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

This.

Yes.
    Me too.

I weight myself everyday and look at weekly average trends (calories and weight). I'm trying to slowly gain, 2-3 pounds a month. If after a few weeks I'm not trending up I'll add calories. I haven't had to adjust calories down yet, not quite gotten to a 3 pound/month average with average daily intake of ~3000 calories the last few weeks.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I don't count calories burnt from exericse, no reason to.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, are you weight training?

I'm currently trying to build muscle (only new to it), and have been reading lots of threads about it where people refer to how much they're eating in order to either bulk or create a slight deficit to cut. I'm just trying to clarify if they're only talking calories consumed (as it can be very hard to determine calories burnt from strength training) or they're talking net calories.

With weight lifting and gaining weight there is a bit of experimentation needed. Yes, there are some calculators (such as MFP) that will give you a baseline, but there are other factors involved. As you said it can be difficult to estimate how much you are burning with weightlifting. I wouldn't really worry too much about the exact numbers.

Set a macro and calorie goal and stick to it for some time, if you are losing weight it is under you maintenance and you will need to eat more. If you are neither losing or gaining weight you are around what your body needs to maintain. If you are gaining you are generally where you want to be.
  • susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to count calories and then I started counting my macros. Since I only count macros and make sure I reach each one and try not to go over. I have been able to gain muscle. I was constantly changing it to see what would work best for me.