Don't Drink Your Calories

Options

Replies

• cosmicpeaches
    Options
    Coconut water is hydrating, and very low on calories. I drink a lemon flavoured one which is 70 cal per 330ml. I second what everyone else is saying however, 1200 calories does seem a little low, but good luck with your weight loss! :-)
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous behaviour Doug. On the flip side I've just been filling out my diary for today and I will use all my calories for drink and may even go way over with some food. T'is Friday after all
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat like a grown man instead of a small child and you will probably have room for whatever drinks you like.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've checked it with my physician and it wasn't determined by ME, it was part of a formula by MFP for 1.7 lb. loss per week. I'm only 5'8, so I'm not a hulk. But thanks for the concern.
    1.75 lb. per week is way too aggressive for someone with only 25 lbs. to lose. You're setting yourself up to fail.

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week (a 250-calorie deficit), and be patient. The closer you get to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just the way the human body works. Plus, the smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.

The Sexypants post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You're a dude. Dudes don't eat 1200 cals a day.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    you can drink crystal lite its all synthetic chemicals but low calories like 10 per packet which is a pitcher of liquid.
    you can drink coffee its about 5 calories a cup
    you can make herbal ice teas. there are dozens of flavors.
    you can drink icecoffee
    you can drink low call fruit juice like watermellon juice
    you can drink Rejuvelac http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rejuvelac
    you can drink club soda
    you can drink vodka and soda (64 calories)

im a 6 foot tall man on 1200 calories a day too
    i eat about 1900 and exercise off 700 every day
    people think when you say 1200 it means only 1200 and not net 1200 without eating exercise calories back
    its silly.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You're a dude. Dudes don't eat 1200 cals a day.

This exactly!
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Drink what you want, just make sure you work it off or save enough calories for it. I drink mostly unsweetened ice tea and seltzer - it's just as refreshing as soda without being too sweet. We also make a pitcher of ice coffee at home to have every morning.

As a side note, I notice I feel my alcohol a LOT easier and sooner since I've started dieting because I've cut it so heavily from my diet. One beer gets me buzzed now, it's great! :)
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    40+ year old man eating 1200 calories a day? Do some research!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Haha - Do not worry, I've checked it with my physician and it wasn't determined by ME, it was part of a formula by MFP for 1.7 lb. loss per week. I'm only 5'8, so I'm not a hulk. But thanks for the concern. :-)
    So you're over 170lbs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to people telling you it's too low, if you can cope on 1200 calories per day, do it! The weight will fly off. I shifted 24lbs in 2 months goign as low as 3x1300 days, 3x500 days & 1 re'feed day up to maintenance levels of approx 2200 cals.

I'd say stick to what you're doing, you don't want any liquid calories on such low cals as they're just not as filling as good old whole food.
  • hipsterskinny180
    hipsterskinny180 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom says very low calorie is dangerous, but 1200 is not that crazily low, and newer research has shown that it isn't necessarily dangerous or worse in the long run.

That said, I assume the 1200 is NET calories, not gross. Personally, the only way I ever make my calorie goals is by exercising more. You're using MFP, so you know that exactly how much extra you gained from that 3 mile run, or 20 minute walk to the store.

As for drink tips. Why not black coffee? Also, consider just using half and half in your coffee. Fat calories should keep you feeling more full than the equivalent in sugar or other carbs. There is also fake sugar and low calorie creamer out there.

I also love me some seltzer! Get that feeling of something special with no added calories. A liter of Vintage should cost less than a $1. I like to add a little lime juice to give it an extra kick.

Emergen-C could replace your multivitamin. It still has some calories, but much less than juice, and with more nutrients. If you mix it with the seltzer you can dilute it further without losing the fizz.

Consider fruit smoothies. I know many people who insist on adding tons of extra stuff to their smoothies. But I go the opposite way. I like my juice watered down, and I do the same with my smoothies. If you use a blender instead of a juicer, you get WAY MORE nutrients and FIBER because you are still eating the fruit skin and everything. They say you can put a whole apple in a vitamix. I haven't tried the seeds, but the skin disappears like nothing. So just put your favorite fruits in the blender, add ice and water, and you could have a <100 calorie drink that satisfies a serving or two or your daily fruits.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to people telling you it's too low, if you can cope on 1200 calories per day, do it! The weight will fly off. I shifted 24lbs in 2 months goign as low as 3x1300 days, 3x500 days & 1 re'feed day up to maintenance levels of approx 2200 cals.

I'd say stick to what you're doing, you don't want any liquid calories on such low cals as they're just not as filling as good old whole food.

That sounds miserable. Id rather cut on 3,000 cals.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Haha - Do not worry, I've checked it with my physician and it wasn't determined by ME, it was part of a formula by MFP for 1.7 lb. loss per week. I'm only 5'8, so I'm not a hulk. But thanks for the concern. :-)

That's quite an aggressive deficit if all you have to lose is 18 lbs.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 15, am 5'6 girl, fairly active and mfp says 1200 for me...but a dietician I saw said 1130! To lose 1 pound a week. So much contradictory information out there.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - The only way I can seem to keep to my LOW goal of 1,200 calories a day is to completely eliminate any calories from beverages. I can only drink so much water and iced tea, and I'm not a fan of diet cola. Am I missing any great solutions out there that I should know about?

Thanks
    Doug

A 1,200 calorie per day diet is too low for males. I think the lowest caloric value for males is 1,800 calories per day but I could be wrong. A protein shake is higher in calories at about 140 calories (25 g protein) plus depending on what it is made from BUT you will feel full longer so even though you are drinking a higher calorie drink you will still be eating less. The lowest calorie protein powder I found is Designer Whey 50 calorie (10 g protein) packets. Herbal teas are great with no calories. You can flavour you water with lemon, cucumber, berries or mint which will be very close to 0 calories and give a few nutrients. You can also flavour your water with Mio and those types for no calories. I use a SodaStream to make carbonated water which has 0 calories and unlike club soda, it has no sodium. Black coffee will have 2 to 4 calories per cup. You can sweeten it with stevia for 0 calories.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Don't tell me what to do! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the "doctors are not nutrritionists" line of this thread. When I told a doctor (not my regular doc, a substitute I had to see when my regular guy was on vacation) that I was on 1500 calories a day, he told me to take that down to 1000 (even though I have consistent and steady weight loss at 1500). I tried it for a month, was completely miserable and ended up going completely off my food plan for a few months because it was actually affecting my mood and health negatively.

I'm 5'6", 43 years old and a female and 1500 calories works for me. Try bumping yours up a little. You still don't have to drink your calories, but you can get a little more food in!
  • gimmeapaw1560
    Options
    I have to drink so much, and I'm so tried of Crystal Light, etc....but I found something in the store about a month ago that totally changed my taste palate for the "no sugar drinks" because I just cannot drink water straight, it make me nauseous. I have to have it flavored. Anyway, I was in the store and I saw boxes of Single Serve Jolly Rancher Green Apple and Watermelon sugar free drink mixes. I can't have more than 10g of sugar in a meal, so feeling like I've got a Jolly Rancher in my mouth was a welcome change. I don't know if they are located in your area (I have to now order them in mine) but the number, if anyone is interested is 888-281-6400, or you could just google them and see if they can be located at a store near you. For those who can't drink plain water and are really sick of their other options, this is a great flavor change! And congrats on your weight loss! Mine always comes up that I'm calorie-short, but I've had gastric bypass and can't eat the 1200 calories a day that is required, I'm more about getting my protein in. Best of luck!