Motivation to eat less

I don't know why but I'm never motivated to eat less and healthier. I mean I am , but apparently not enough. Because I'm still very large.. And apparently I'm still eating way too much. Normally I try to stay below 1200. But some days are just worse than others. Like today I ate between 1500&1700. Way way too much for me. I need to lose a lot of weight and I'm not getting anywhere with the amount of food I eat. What ways did you motivate yourself to eat less and exercise and such? I've had people tell me I'm not even eating enough. But that's not true I'm eating too much.

Please don't be rude. What may seem to be plain and obvious to you, isn't to me. Thanks

Replies

• DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    1200 is kinda low, depending on your stats of course. Hard to say without knowing more.
  • 1200 is kinda low, depending on your stats of course. Hard to say without knowing more.

Well I am 5'2 &1/2 & 182 pounds atm. If that makes a difference
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Look at your food dairy for today....really look at it and try to remember how you were feeling when you had your meals. Were you upset, bored, really hungry or tired at the time of your meals? Is there a lot of fast food or processed food? Self awareness is the first step. Second, try to include more protein and whole foods like fruit/veggies in your diet. Drink your water. Basically, try to include filling food instead of processed foods in your diet. I know its been said a million times but choosing quality food over processed/sugary foods will help control your appetite/keep you satisfied.

Personally, I think about how hard I worked to stay on course and this stops me from making those bad choices! I worked too hard to start back at square one over any one moment of mindless eating!

Good Luck to you.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Maybe you are medicating with food. 90% of wt issues are why we eat not what we eat. I stopped medicating with food about 2 yrs ago. I also stopped eating my trigger/ Kryptonite foods (foods I struggle to portion control). When I was medicating with food I thought about food a lot. If I was bored,tired,stressed, sad,happy, pissed off, grieving, celebrating....etc. my default activity was eating. If this is not the issue maybe your calories are too low and you need to be at 1400 a day with lots of protein and fat and low amounts of high glycemic carbs
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Its okay! Just go walking after you eat or something
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I don't know why but I'm never motivated to eat less and healthier. I mean I am , but apparently not enough. Because I'm still very large.. And apparently I'm still eating way too much. Normally I try to stay below 1200. But some days are just worse than others. Like today I ate between 1500&1700. Way way too much for me.

I'd be miserable and unmotivated as well if I tried to eat under 1200. I'd say shoot for a higher number and make sure you weigh and measure everything so that you're not inadvertently overeating. (By the way, I am your height, 10 pounds heavier and I eat 1500-1700, depending on your activity level it might not be too much for you.)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I don't know why but I'm never motivated to eat less and healthier. I mean I am , but apparently not enough. Because I'm still very large.. And apparently I'm still eating way too much. Normally I try to stay below 1200. But some days are just worse than others. Like today I ate between 1500&1700. Way way too much for me. I need to lose a lot of weight and I'm not getting anywhere with the amount of food I eat. What ways did you motivate yourself to eat less and exercise and such? I've had people tell me I'm not even eating enough. But that's not true I'm eating too much.

Please don't be rude. What may seem to be plain and obvious to you, isn't to me. Thanks

If I may ask, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? I ask because I'm only 5' 3 1/2" and I weigh less than 150 lbs and I eat between 1400 and 1700 to lose weight. I burn around 1700-2200, depending on how active I am, and I keep an average of 350 calories deficit...meaning I'll eat at a 650 calorie deficit for a few days so that I can have a splurge and eat around maintenance for one day, and it all averages out to losing a pound every 10 days or so. This makes it very manageable since I don't feel deprived, and I'm still eating Taco Bell, pizza, ice cream and burgers, all while losing weight.

It sounds as though your calorie goal might be set too low. This can lead to a feeling of deprivation and inspire binges, which in turn can lead to depression and beating yourself up and even giving up. If you raise your goal to a more reasonable deficit, it might be much easier to maintain.

Remember, it took a really long time to gain the weight, and it's going to take a really long time to take it off. Make it as easy and as sustainable as possible on yourself and you'll get there. It's not a race, and you won't win a prize for reaching your goal any faster. Depriving yourself might just derail your progress and make you want to quit. Does that make sense?
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Look at your food dairy for today....really look at it and try to remember how you were feeling when you had your meals. Were you upset, bored, really hungry or tired at the time of your meals? Is there a lot of fast food or processed food? Self awareness is the first step. Second, try to include more protein and whole foods like fruit/veggies in your diet. Drink your water. Basically, try to include filling food instead of processed foods in your diet. I know its been said a million times but choosing quality food over processed/sugary foods will help control your appetite/keep you satisfied.

Personally, I think about how hard I worked to stay on course and this stops me from making those bad choices! I worked too hard to start back at square one over any one moment of mindless eating!

Good Luck to you.
    I completely agree, not all calories are equal, quality nutrients make a huge difference with how you feel and even your mood
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,007 Member
    What keeps me motivated is this...63 days. 21lbs lost. By following this...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And I MEAN honestly follow you will lose. The more you lose the more committed you will become.

Give it a fair try and you will see for yourself. Make some friends on here and participate in the forums.

Make it fun. Make it for life.

Cindy
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,268 Member
    I exercise so I can eat more plus because it makes me feel good. I am a big believer in making anything into an activity. Clean your house harder. Cinderella them floors, do extra trips back and forth doing laundry, flip the beds when making them, do lunges while vacuuming. Get your back and arms into scrubbing the counters, tables, windows, etc. There is always something to be done at home. Go for walks. Even when you don't feel like it, put on the workout clothes, grab some earphones and a mp3 player and step out the house. ONce you get going for like five minutes or more, you will stop grumbling about it. I promise you. Nature is so refreshing. Go swimming. That is the very best full body workout that is also fun. Make filling choices as far as food goes. Eating at 1200 is so hard and takes a lot of will power and dedication. Look at your food diary and see what changes you can make or substitions you can make. AIm for six small meals a day that are low cal instead of waiting so long in between each meal. These are just some of the ways I deal while eating at a deficit.
  • Don't watch T.V. Seriously! It gets you more in touch with your actual physical hunger. There are so many external cues that tell us to eat/ tell us that we're unsatisfied and seeing food advertisements as every other commercial makes you want it. You see these people delving into these huge burgers and shakes and then you expect yourself to be happy with that salad and carrot sticks? Even if it physically fills your stomach, your mind is telling you that you want more. The mind is a little beotch that needs to be controlled, and put in touch with how the body is feeling. Good luck, I struggle with the same thing
  • I like to picture all of the fat in my food settling on my arteries. That usually puts me off well enough