How do I get a flat stomach as a male?

Options
So I'm 18, 5'6 and weigh 155 pounds. I have a lumpy stomach and jiggly boobs. I want to lose 25 pounds in 5 months. So one pound a week. I roughly eat and drink around 1500 calories a day. I cut back on drinking soda and Hotpockets and pizza. So If I'm burning 500 calories a day, how many calories do I eat in a day? What are some exercises I do and how long do I do it? I'm really tired of people saying I have man boobs, and I want to have self confidence again.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Self confidence starts on the inside bro.

Do some reading around the forum, figure out your TDEE, which is an acronym you're going to see a lot.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Then, based on your goal, you determine how much less than that you need to eat. It might be 1500, it might be more.

As for your question, flat stomach? Lose fat. Exercise a bit in manners that will protect what muscle you have, and work hard, not just for the next 5 months, but for life.

Losing weight won't build that self confidence, that comes from within. You're young, I would also say, take a good review of how much you weigh and how much you think you need to lose. Get your bodyfat percentage checked out, and go based on that. Shoot for a realistic bodyfat percentage milestone, then from there re-assess.

For example, if you're at 21% now, shoot for 12%, and then go from there.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Putting your numbers into a BMR calculator like this
    http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator/
    and it says 1500 is below your BMR which is a bad idea. If you have access to a gym I would suggest you start lifting and set your calories at a deficit no more than 20% of your TDEE which you can get here http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ keep in mind these are estimates so you may have to readjust. If you do start lifting make sure you are getting enough protein, you will need more to maintain muscle if you are in a deficit.

In summary:
    Eating below your BMR is never a good idea
    A deficit no more than 20-25% of your TDEE
    Lift
    Eat sufficient calories and protein

I hope this helps and good luck
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yo OP, go to homeboy's link, check that stuff out.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I felt sad reading this and just wanted to say good luck, you can totally do this! <3
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    As far as a six pack or something like that? It's all about body fat loss.
  • thebulletinaction
    thebulletinaction Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So if I eat around the estimation of my BMR and I burn 500 calories via exercising, I will still lose weight due to my own body processes?

Also what does it mean to eat your exercise calories? And any additional information about calories?\

Also, thank you everyone for believing in me! :D
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Great to see someone so young posting about this problem .. i only wish the internet was around for advice and stuff when i was that age ..wonder if i'd be any different than i am now? ..
    Well done for stepping up and sharing with everyone ..i don't have any advice as I'm new to this too but the self confidence will kick in at some point in the future .. Enjoy being young it doesn't last .. lol
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Start lifting.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Keep in mind, and as a young guy, the chances are you've never come across this term before, but basal.

basal metabolic rate is the baseline of what your need on a daily basis for just normal body processes. Eating less than that could be both unsustainable, and potentially damaging. Think basal as meaning baseline, or bare minimum.

The real number you want to hunt up, is the total daily energy expenditure on average. Take 500 off that, and you'll lose around a pound a week.

Not to be confused with banal, meaning boring and of little interest.
  • andydebnam85
    andydebnam85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i know what your feeling mate at 18 i was over 200 lbs and it's great you have started to want lose it now for me it got worse 10 years later at 28 i weighed at 270 lbs been hard at work for the last 4 months and i have lost 35 lbs the main aim is to make sure you eat the right food at the right times and don't skip meals as it could affect your metabolism in a negative way and once you start eating the right food training hard at the gym or going for a run don't be too disheartened if you don't see the scales move as your probably still losing inches but gaining muscle and it will all balance out good luck