Potato Chip Replacements???

idivadi
idivadi Posts: 222 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I am a serious chip addict. I work twelve hour nights and between three and four oclock--I eat chips/chips/chips.
I have tried the vegetables and dip. I still ate the chips. I would love some suggestions for healthier snacks(no long preps)
snacks that meet the salt, crunchy requirements. Suggestions appreciated....

Replies

• caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    What about Plantains? :)
    Or animal crackers, spiced popcorn, homemade healthy snack mix?
  • idivadi
    Do you bake the plantains??? ( How do you make the plantains salty and crunchy :smile: ) How do you make your healthy snack mix??
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    The best thing to do is break the snacking habit. Take up knitting sewing or something that occupies the hands!

For snacks, seasoned 94% fat free popcorn is great and a wholegrain.
    Baking Kale chips, or any thinly sliced root vegetable sprinkled with seasoning makes a pretty good snack.
    I like to boil edename beans in their shells and sprinkle with a bit of rock salt & soy sauce. Great nutritious snack!!!

You can also buy the fat free chips - Pop Chips are pretty great!

Also, maybe its the salt, not the chip, that you are having a hard time giving up. How about cutting down the sodium with low sodium chips - say salt free tortilla chips with some healthy salsa - and see after a few weeks if you crave the snacks anymore
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Here is what I have used for plantains. It is kind of annoying because I'm not a really good cook but you can make a lot at once and just store them so that's not that bad.
    http://srefoodblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/oven-baked-banana-chips.html

As for the healthy snack mix I don't have a particular recipe but you can either search online or just put some things like pretzles popcorn nuts and unsweetened dried fruit in it. You can even add a tiny serving of something like a few dark chocolate chips to it to give yourself a special treat once in a while if you have enough calories.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Three things. Agree with breaking the snack habit and find an alternative activity. If your going to snack... try popcorn .; Also... Some theorize that people craving salty foods are craving excitment and adventure in their life. So as the question what is it I am missing.... How can i spice up my life without food. Best wishes.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Do you have a trader joes near you? I love their line of reduced guilt chips! Tasty and waaaaay less on the calorie scale. They also have yummy flax/sesame/other good stuff crackers that are calorie poor. When I'm craving that crunch that needs to be something other than a crunch of carrot or celery or other veggie I go with one of those low calorie options and some hummus. Always hits the spot for me!
  • Aw, I'm addicted to potato chips too. I mean like bohochick said it's not really the chip but the salt I'm addicted I'd give up anything sweet anytime for something salty. She gave you an wise advice, I wouldn't change a word.
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    I've heard these are really good!

~Kale chips~

- Combine 2 teaspoons olive oil, tamari, and sherry vinegar
    - Toss with 1/2 pound kale (about six cups)
    - Divide kale mixture among 2 shallow baking pans; bake at 425 until crisp and golden (about 15 min)
    - When done sprinkle 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.

Nutrition Facts: Serving size 1 1/2 cups. Calories 84, Fat 4g
  • http://cooking-books.blogspot.com/2009/02/baked-spinach-chips.html

I tried these at one point. not for me. But. Well worth a try instead of taters.
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    I'm not a huge chip person but I DO like something crunchy and salty with my sandwiches and what works for me is white cheddar flavored, mini rice cakes. Does the trick every time!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    I also like rice cakes. The bite sized ones. They have some tasty flavors. I like the ranch because it is a sub for my Ruffles with Ranch. I also like Popchips. They also come in a variety of flavors- bbq is my fav followed by salt and vinegar.

I know these probably aren't the choice that some of you would choose- but they work for me right now.
  • Fat free popcorn! Only 100 calories and it's still salty. Satisfies my craving.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    You could always just eat BAKED potato chips instead! They are yummy, especially the cheddar and sour cream ones by Lays!
  • I'm/was also a chip addict. I still eat my chips but I limit myself to a day or two a week. Same with pizza. The rest of the time I munch on almonds, cucumbers, carrots, frozen blueberries. Start slow and just cut it down to a day or two a week. And if you really don't want to give up the chips, burn about 800-1000 calories every day that you have them. Might make you appreciate them more or stop eating them nearly as much.
  • Ooh that's what I should do... Every time I'm going to eat a bag of chips I should force myself to either burn 800-1000 calories that day or the day after. I doubt I'd be too inclined to eat chips very often.
  • idivadi
    Thanks for all the suggestions--I will difinitely try some of them. Giving up snacking is also in my sights. I still need healthy choices for the 3-4am time slot and raw vegetables just do not do the job. I cannot get thru the night shift without eating something and a big meal is also not appealing. I will use /try some of the helpful hints for sure... Thanx I just love the fact that on this site people are willing to share their experience and knowledge .... Thanx again
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    I weaned myself off with Baked Cheetos - which are FANTASTIC and way better than regular Cheetos, by the way, - and then eventually I switched to even healthier stuff. But I needed the transition I think.
  • lizk17
    lizk17 Posts: 10 Member
    I second the recommendation for Pop Chips. They come in all different flavors but my favorite is the salt and pepper. 16 Chips is 100 calories and only a few grams of fat. Probably not the healthiest snack choice but, for me, it helps the chip craving for many less calories.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Pork Rhinds :P Higher in fat, but no carbs.. salty and crunchy yum yum yum!
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    We bought the individual bags of chips. Then, when I really have the cravings, I know exactly how many calories I am eating. And, one bag is enough for the craving. Over time, my cravings have gone down. Maybe it is getting the salt down in all my diet.
This discussion has been closed.