Saggy belly HELP!

Options
Hi all,

I am relatively new on MFP... been on here for 3 weeks now. Standing at 5' 8 1/2 weighing at 134lbs, I am currently not overweight ( although I use to be, 162lbs!). My intention is essentially to lower my body fat percentage, and as with most women, I have issues with some common problem areas ie. abs, hips and tighs and the triceps. I understand that in order to lose overall fat cardio is best (and I power walk for 60 mins), however, I hear that weight training aids the entire process fat burning as well, so does anyone know of any excercises to not only lose the fat around your waist, but tighten your abs and the skin around it?

HELP VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Replies

• randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Resistance exercises that work major muscles groups over ones that "target" certain areas are great for supplementing a cardio regimen. Core exercises like Ashtanga or other Hatha Yoga techniques are good for low impact toning and strengthening. If you have access to a gym, you can make your own machine or free weight circuit training routine to keep your heart rate up while you cycle through some strength conditioning exercises. It's really important to know what kind of perso you are in order to determine which strength conditioning program is right for you. You might even try strapping on some ankle and wrist weights with your walk to get started if you don't have access to a gym. But a gym is truly not required, there is a whole litany of websites and videos available for home based yoga, dumbbell, and body weight strength and conditioning exercises.
  • jhorenc
    jhorenc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    yes, cardio, weightlifting and strength training & plyometric training does the trick! I like to break down my workouts where I do cardio 5x a week, weightlifts 3x a week and I've seen results with my cross-training schedule (but every persons body is different) i have the same problem with my mid-section my stomach is flat but my abs just won't budge and show themselves lol! it also depends on your diet as well, try to refrain from consuming too much sugar and sodium, and you'll definitely see a decrease of your body fat percentage =)
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Resistance exercises that work major muscles groups over ones that "target" certain areas are great for supplementing a cardio regimen. Core exercises like Ashtanga or other Hatha Yoga techniques are good for low impact toning and strengthening. If you have access to a gym, you can make your own machine or free weight circuit training routine to keep your heart rate up while you cycle through some strength conditioning exercises. It's really important to know what kind of perso you are in order to determine which strength conditioning program is right for you. You might even try strapping on some ankle and wrist weights with your walk to get started if you don't have access to a gym. But a gym is truly not required, there is a whole litany of websites and videos available for home based yoga, dumbbell, and body weight strength and conditioning exercises.
    Good advice, Randy! I do Vinyasa power yoga and it's great for core strength and toning, as well as arms/triceps --- all of those chattarangas (high planks/pushups).....also, I have been doing all of the Jillian workouts, and I they are really adding to my results.
  • Lavdrops
    Lavdrops Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips... will try to incorporate into my cardio and see how that works out. :) I sure hope it works on me!