More food, less cardio or more rest days

Options
Hi,

Why do you think of this training program and meal plan?

Monday: Workout A on machines: Arm Curl (6x8), Lat pull (6x8), Dips (6x8), Lying Triceps (6x8), Shoulder press (6x8), Chin up (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running)
Tuesday: moderate cardio (cycling 26 miles)
Wednesday: Free weights work out: Arm Curl (6x8), Tricep Extensions (6x8), Bench press (6x8), Crunch (6x30), Shoulder press (6x8), Lying Fly (6x8), Supine bicep curl (6x8), Squat (6x8)
Thursday: moderate cardio (cycling 26 miles)
Friday: Workout B on machines: Leg press (6x8), Leg Curls (6x8), Chest press (6x8), Chest fly (6x8), Arm Curl (6x8), Leg raise (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running).
Saturday: rest day
Sunday: Workout A

And the following week I switch workout A with workout B. I am trying to do each set at my maximum (sometimes I only manage to do 3 reps).

As for the food, I am eating around 2300 kcal per day with diverse food: protein (eggs, tuna, chicken, yoghurt and nuts), carbs (bread, veg, yoghurt and nuts), fat (milk and nuts) and my treats (beer and chocolate).

I manage to maintain my weight with this program but I would like to gain a few more pounds. What do you think I should do: more food, less cardio or more rest days?

Thanks,
Jamal

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'm always going to pick more food because I enjoy food.

If eating more is going to be hard, I would cut down on some of your cardio. You could probably cut down the cardio on your lifting days and slowly see a gain.
  • forgiven16
    forgiven16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cardio while bulking is a good thing.

Increase food and get on a proven program such as starting strength
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus for more weight. Continue your workouts for the next 6 weeks and monitor from there. If gains are still hard then limit your cardio for the next following weeks and Keep adjusting from there.
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    More calories for sure. Probably 3300-3500 calories per day, with 24-26% coming from protein (.9-1.25 grams/pound of body weight). Figure out your daily caloric expenditure and add 100-200 calories to it.

Also, triples won't help you gain size (mass). Strength yes, mass no. 1-5 reps are for strength & power. 6-15 reps per set for size.

Unless you're doing "special" supplements, 6 sets per exercise is a lot. 3-5 sets should be sufficient. Your weight workout should be an hour or less.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i will carry with and see how it goes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    2300 seems awfully low to gain weight. And are we sure that that's a few weight routine? Seems a tad machiney.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eat.
    Moar.
    Food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    2300 seems awfully low to gain weight. And are we sure that that's a few weight routine? Seems a tad machiney.

"free". are we sure that's a "free" weight routine