Help with low carb diet!!!

Options
I decided to give Atkins a try about 2 weeks ago - its worked well for me in the past and I'm hoping it will work again. Within 6 days I was down 8 lbs a feeling great. In the last few days I've gained 4 or 5 back. The thing is, I haven't "cheated" once so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm inclined to say I may be relying too heavily on the Atkins products - I usually have 1 shake and 2 bars per day (all indicate that they are approved for all phases, but should I be limiting myself more?). I've considered upping my veggie intake but I'm a little hesitant since veggies have carbs. Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if it had worked well in the past, why are you back now?
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Oh here we go....
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Real food is approved for all phases of life.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You do not have your diary open, so I can not look at your macros. I would suggest you ask this question in the low carb group, there are more people who are doing a low carb lifestyle. However, the first few days on a low carb diet, the weight loss is not fat, it is water. the gain could be your body stabalizing its water OR you could have eaten something high in sodium. Here is my advice, stop weighing yourself on a daily basis. Check in once a week or once a month to see how you are tracking and just stick to your plan.

You may also see less rapid loss this time cause you did a low carb before and I do not know how long ago or how much wieght you are trying to lose.

Stay the course and reduce the number of times you check the map.

Good Luck (If you want to see a low carb without atkins, friend me so you can see my meals).
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    ditch the atkins products.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I thought the Atkins stuff died years ago. Why not just eat a balanced diet?

You say it worked before but if you are back here then it means it's not a maintainable long term solution. Find a "diet" that you can maintain for the long term not a quick fix.

di·et
    noun
    the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    ditch the atkins products.

Indeed.
    I'm eating low carb but stay away from Atkins products.
    They are higher in carbs than I find productive to me.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Those are the exact words I was thinking.
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Real food is approved for all phases of life.

+1
  • RatRaceOne
    RatRaceOne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't eat "products" - eat real food.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb due to insulin resistance. I've tried the bars and they've given me horrid gas and diarrhea. When something does that, you know it's doing bad things to your insides. Back away from those products. You'll save your diet, your scale and your pocketbook. Stick with real food, and yes, stick to veggies, like romaine, cucs, peppers for instance. Tomatoes will be high in carbs and sugar, but not so high as to stay away from. I usually eat 2 medium tomatoes everyday. Amazing how many veggies you can fit in, when you're not eating other carbs of junk.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Take Hydroxy Cut and be AMAZED!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Those are the exact words I was thinking.

Probably the same reason people who try and fail at restricted calorie counting go and end up coming back - Sustainability. Some people can do it some can't and the ones that can't need to keep hitting the reset button.

I agree with other post, ditch the gimmicky products and just do it on less processed food. Eat meat, fish and veg instead of processed bars.