Fitbit overestimating daily calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Also, thank you all for being super helpful! It's nice to have a sounding board.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Have you actually calibrated your fitbit to the number of steps you take at your normal walking pace over a known distance? I'm a long legged tallish lady and I have a 86cm stride. Until I correctly entered my personal details Fitbit was saying I'd walked much further than I had - almost 1/3 out. It was easy to do although you feel a bit silly walking along 102, 103, 104 ...! Just note the distance on your fitbit and walk, counting steps for 0.2 kms (not too short distance as it needs to average) now I've done that mine is consistently accurate against my sons gps!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Lol ok i just looked at my fitbit just before midnight and it has my TDEE as 4000 calories or so. That does seem kinda high. I mean if it's true ive a 2k deficit today. That's not good.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Have you actually calibrated your fitbit to the number of steps you take at your normal walking pace over a known distance? I'm a long legged tallish lady and I have a 86cm stride. Until I correctly entered my personal details Fitbit was saying I'd walked much further than I had - almost 1/3 out. It was easy to do although you feel a bit silly walking along 102, 103, 104 ...! Just note the distance on your fitbit and walk, counting steps for 0.2 kms (not too short distance as it needs to average) now I've done that mine is consistently accurate against my sons gps!

Good point. I'm 5'6.5" with short legs, but I should probably calibrate it anyway.