How long does it take usually

Okay SO my goal is to reach 120 lbs. I started at 180 back in January of this year. I've lost 27 lbs so far. Although I know some progress is better than no progress, I still feel like this is going by too slowly. I go the gym 4-5 times a week and exercise for 30 minutes before I have to go to work and stand at register/carhop for 5-8 hours. I eat pretty well. My expectations were to lose it all in a year.... is that even realistic anymore? How long does it usually take someone to lose 60 lbs?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    i lost 60 lbs in 5 months, but i was also really overweight. you probably wont like hearing this, but it really depends on the person. if 60 lbs will take you right to your goal weight, a year may be a tough time limit
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    About a pound a week is typical, but it can vary from zero to 3 pounds a week, depending on how much of a calorie deficit a person is in. If you want a faster rate of loss, you'll have to increase your deficit. Just include strength training in your routine, so you lose fat and not muscle.
  • TasteofEnvy
    TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
    i lost 60 lbs in 5 months, but i was also really overweight. you probably wont like hearing this, but it really depends on the person. if 60 lbs will take you right to your goal weight, a year may be a tough time limit
    is it one of those things where the more you have to lose, the easier it is to lose it? cuz, yea, 60 lbs is straight to my goal.
  • TasteofEnvy
    About a pound a week is typical, but it can vary from zero to 3 pounds a week, depending on how much of a calorie deficit a person is in. If you want a faster rate of loss, you'll have to increase your deficit. Just include strength training in your routine, so you lose fat and not muscle.
    my calorie deficit is 1200 calories.
    It takes me about a week and a half to lose 1 pound...
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    is it one of those things where the more you have to lose, the easier it is to lose it? cuz, yea, 60 lbs is straight to my goal.

When you weigh a lot, and have a lot to lose, it is easier to create a bigger calorie deficit, and you can lose weight easier/faster in some cases. When you are trying to lose 1/2 pound a week, the scale will likely not show you .5 pounds less each week due to fluctuations that are normal. Over time you should see a downward trend.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    yep, the first few pounds are always the easiest since you are able to have a greater calorie deficit without harming your body
    this is a little aggressive. keep in mind that the faster you lose weight the more likely it is that that weight loss is coming from muscle mass, as well as the fact that people who cut calories too drastically tend to be the ones who dont end up continuing with this lifestyle. also, be careful that you are eating enough. it is important to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

That's it exactly. The closer you get to your goal weight the more time it will take to properly lose the weight. I need to drop about 10 more to get back where I was last summer. I'm just shooting for about 2-3 pounds a month of loss. You don't want to lose the precious muscle mass along with the body fat. Dropping too rapidly isn't good for you.

Just be patient. You're doing a really good job so far.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I've lost 60 lbs. It took me about 10 months.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It took me a year to lose 55 pounds.
  • TasteofEnvy
    yep, the first few pounds are always the easiest since you are able to have a greater calorie deficit without harming your body
    this is a little aggressive. keep in mind that the faster you lose weight the more likely it is that that weight loss is coming from muscle mass, as well as the fact that people who cut calories too drastically tend to be the ones who dont end up continuing with this lifestyle. also, be careful that you are eating enough. it is important to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs
    that wasn't aggressive at all.
    When I'm at the gym back at college, i lift weights every other day. I don't have any weight at home, just an eliptical. (home for summer break).
    i'm going to try my best to keep this lifestyle when I reach my goal.
    I do my best to eat the right amount each day, and I'm usually close to it (just a little under usually) cuz i'm always afraid i'll eat too much.
  • TasteofEnvy
    It took me a year to lose 55 pounds.
    I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.
  • TasteofEnvy
    I've lost 60 lbs. It took me about 10 months.
    I don't think I"ll be able to do that in 10 months, but if you don't mind me asking, what did you do?
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    I lost 74 pounds in 7 months, but I was rather aggressive (198 -> 124). I ate 1200/day for about 3 months, then started running and cycling. I kept my net at 1200 and ate back all of my exercise cals. I'm currently at 131, shooting for 115.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    ive lost 53lb in 6 months... i was obese to start with though