advice on how to exercise right

Options
Hi, I just started going to the gym a few weeks ago and mainly use the treadmill and bike. I had one session with a trainer to get started and he told me to add some strength training as well. I never really did any weight lifting, so I just wanted to get some advice on how much and how often I should do it? My main goal is to lose 30 pounds, I did 10 so far, got 20 more to go and would like to tone a little bit along the way.
Is it better to do less weight for a longer period of time or more weight and shorter periods?
Right now I walk/run for 30 mins, do strength and then get on the bike for another 30 mins. Is that a good workout ( I am 5.10 and currently 189).

Thank you guys!

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be doing strength training. If I were you, I'd start with a program like 5x5. You can find pretty much everything you need to know about that here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Read the whole thing. It's a great program for beginners that have no clue where to start. You'll be lifting three days per week. You should be lifting heavy (for you) for the best results. The whole "high reps, low weight is for toning and low reps, high weight is for bulking up" is a load of BS. Women do not "bulk" like men do. Lift heavy and your body will thank you. Believe me, you're not going to be big and muscular unless you WANT to be. It takes years of dedicated to get a body like that.

Do lifting before cardio, or you can do it on the days you don't lift. It's up to you.
  • stevegietz
    Options
    I would alternate strength and cardio on different days. Since you want to lose weight, I'd recommend exercise 5-6 days per week and eating 80% clean (or 100% if you have the willpower :)). Once you're at your goal you can scale it back to 3-4 days to maintain. Diet is really where it's at in terms of losing weight. Eat 50% lean protein, 30% good carbs, 20% healthy fats. If you feel out of gas with that ratio, do 40/40/20 for more energy, which is also a good maintenance ratio. Good luck.
  • laura102281
    laura102281 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the great advice! The eating clean part is getting better and better. ;-)...
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started going to the gym a few weeks ago and mainly use the treadmill and bike. I had one session with a trainer to get started and he told me to add some strength training as well. I never really did any weight lifting, so I just wanted to get some advice on how much and how often I should do it? My main goal is to lose 30 pounds, I did 10 so far, got 20 more to go and would like to tone a little bit along the way.
    Is it better to do less weight for a longer period of time or more weight and shorter periods?
    Right now I walk/run for 30 mins, do strength and then get on the bike for another 30 mins. Is that a good workout ( I am 5.10 and currently 189).

Thank you guys!

I totally agree with strength training. 5x5 is pretty amazing. I just started this week and I'm a noob with free weights. You can go to stronglifts.com to look at what you need to do and youtube is where I went to research the proper form. There is a woman on Youtube named Barbella something or other and i watch her do her 5x5
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    +1 for SL 5x5. I've managed to make some serious strength gains and some fat loss (near goal, so it's slow moving for me at this point) over the last two months on this. Pretty much everything LyndseyLovesT said is on point.