Walking - is it worth logging?

Options
I walk roughly 20 to 40 minutes everyday and always make sure that I go as fast as possible when I do to get the best benefit from it. I cycle a few times during the week which I count as my main source of exercise so don't bother with the odd 100cals that walking provides as I figure that should be part of daily life anyway. Does anyone else do the same?

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want. There's no right or wrong to activity. If you're achieving your goals it doesn't matter what the rest of us do. If you want to see how many calories you are buring then log it, if you don't care then don't. A 20min walk like you said isn't going to make or break anything if you are doing other more strenuous activities. I'm not the type that has to know down to every last calorie what was burned or what was eaten, but some are so depending on which you are would determine if you log or not.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I only log walking if it's above and beyond- usually an hour or more- or if I specifically went for a walk to burn calories. Or if I'm out at an amusement park or in the field inspecting and I'm doing significantly more walking.

If you walk regularly- and it's part of your TDEE then no don't add it in- but if you feel it's a big enough chunk and you dedicate time to it specifically- then yeah add it in.

There is no 'right' answer.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm set to sedentary, and I think I'm conservative as to the number of cals I allow myself in a day.

If I'm hungry and am out of cals... I log my walks. LOL
  • dalesimpson1
    dalesimpson1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mine get logged through fitbit.

I like that my walking gets logged because I do it to raise my heart rate, and I like seeing an accomplishment at the end of the day.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I only log walking if it's above and beyond- usually an hour or more- or if I specifically went for a walk to burn calories. Or if I'm out at an amusement park or in the field inspecting and I'm doing significantly more walking.

If you walk regularly- and it's part of your TDEE then no don't add it in- but if you feel it's a big enough chunk and you dedicate time to it specifically- then yeah add it in.

There is no 'right' answer.

I agree!
  • cassiemay501
    cassiemay501 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I track my walking workouts on a wall calender instead as I find it easier to see my progress in that format. Plus I only mark down the walks that were specifically for a workout. I can keep a visual of my kms and times that way.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs just walking. So yeah.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I walk roughly 20 to 40 minutes everyday and always make sure that I go as fast as possible when I do to get the best benefit from it. I cycle a few times during the week which I count as my main source of exercise so don't bother with the odd 100cals that walking provides as I figure that should be part of daily life anyway. Does anyone else do the same?

:laugh:

Log it and eat it back up!

I log everything, golfing, swimming, walking - log it up boss. :drinker:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My theory is... if I had to change into workout clothes in order to complete the activity, then I'll log it. If I didn't, I don't log it... no matter what. Take this with a grain of salt though, I use the TDEE-15% method, not MFP's NEAT method, so when I do log exercise on MFP, I log it as 1 calorie burned, no matter the duration or intensity, because my exercise is already factored into my TDEE.
  • Rogue_Girl
    Rogue_Girl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mine get logged through fitbit.

I like that my walking gets logged because I do it to raise my heart rate, and I like seeing an accomplishment at the end of the day.

Same here.

I use the Runtastic app to log my speed and all that jazz, but FitBit keeps tabs of all the times I go to the loo or pick up the mail or whatever.

Burning calories, regardless of how fast or slow, is still burning calories in my books. :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It would depend largely on how you have your activity level set. If you have it set to sedentary I would log it. That said, walking is a pretty low intensity form of exercise and doesn't really break down the body unless you're power walking or really going great distances or have a load so I never worried about eating back my exercise calories from walking unless it was well beyond the ordinary walk...it is important to properly fuel higher intensity activity though.
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My first post :D

I log my walking, I try to do a minimum of 30 minutes walking a day and usually an hour.

I agree if its part of your normal routine in your job or daily life then don't log it, however if you are walking for exercise then log it. I did however log earlier in the week when I visited a train station and ended up walking 5 flights of stairs 3 times up and down looking for the person I was collecting.

That small walk gets me a nice drink or a treat.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    My first post :D

I log my walking, I try to do a minimum of 30 minutes walking a day and usually an hour.

I agree if its part of your normal routine in your job or daily life then don't log it, however if you are walking for exercise then log it. I did however log earlier in the week when I visited a train station and ended up walking 5 flights of stairs 3 times up and down looking for the person I was collecting.

That small walk gets me a nice drink or a treat.

Welcome here! :-D

:flowerforyou:
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Welcome Madz!!!

Interesting opinions here. I may start logging them as I am set to sedentary so I guess it wouldn't be factored in to my normal life. I guess it's time to start monitoring it!

Thanks!
  • mesrich
    mesrich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The first month and half that I started this website I primarily walked. I started with a mile and now have worked my way up to 2 miles a day, 3 miles on the weekends. If it's REALLY hot or raining/snowing outside then I go to the gym and ride. I've been here daily since February and lost 47 lbs. I think it's worth it, but it's really your decision. I use MapMyWalk.