GIANT problem with food database

Options
My wife and I have been using the app as part of our new fitness plan and after 2 1/2 weeks we've been totally discouraged. The culprit? The app itself.

There are huge inaccuracies in the food data in the app. Just like Wiki, anyone can put in any information and it's instantly in everyone else's database.
If I put in that a Big Mac was 10 calories, anyone could unknowingly select it and snoot their diet plan in the foot.

We thought MFP vetted their information, but they don't.

We also thought we could work around this by scanning the product barcode and save that into 'My Foods', but we can't do that either.

I did a scan of Monster Ultra Red energy drink and there's one entry showing zero carbs and another showing, accurately, 1 carb which is equal to 4 calories by the way. So anyone believing they're keeping a close eye on their calories can forget it. You could be looking at a variance of several hundred calories over the course of a days entries and not even know it.

On the website MFP puts an * to show user supplied food data but no such marking is on the mobile app.
Knowing the CORRECT nutrition information is at the center of what we're all working from. It's our compass to guide us. Well, our compass is constructed of a lot of wrong information and unless you take the extra time to double check everything you're entering against the manufacturers web site you will be way off course.

Having the largest food database doesn't mean much when you can't trust the data to be correct. It's like using a street map that has made up streets. You don't know you're going the wrong way until it's too late. MFP need to clean up the data otherwise it's just a pretty app with no value.

Replies

• jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if other apps have this down any better. I'm going to guess they don't - there are simply too many food products out there for a perfect solution, or for MFP to vet every entry. I would hat to think of the app or service fee they'd have to charge in order to validate all the data. Crowd sourcing IS a good solution, but it requires that everyone be a part of the solution.

I've often found there are multiple options for the food I'm trying to enter. I either cross reference with the packaging if I have it (and I've corrected some obvious mistakes in the entries this way), or I use a best guess and err on the side of caution. It IS a little harder using the mobile app, but you can always check the value entered in your log and then remove the offending entry and try again. Once you've added a food, I believe even the MFP app keeps a reference to it in the "recent food".

It's a little bit of work, I agree. But worth it. Don't despair, and certainly don't give up!!!!

:)
  • SUGIANT
    SUGIANT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I've used other apps and they don;t have the variety or flexibility. All you need to do is confirm what it's saying and you're good, if not add your own. Also if you look for items that have been confirmed by others you can weed ut ones that are inaccurate.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Glance at your nutrition labels... It's not that serious.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Then either do a little research beforehand to ensure that the entry you are using is correct or enter one yourself. Problem solved.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've found it to be pretty accurate. But, of course, I cross-reference everything just in case ;).
  • Arminta_Ward
    Options
    I take the extra time and double check the info myself.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've found it to be pretty accurate. But, of course, I cross-reference everything just in case ;).

This. I also try to correct those entries that are incorrect if I have the time...
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Then either do a little research beforehand to ensure that the entry you are using is correct or enter one yourself. Problem solved.

This. I understand the frustration, but it's up to you to research the info from other sources if you're not sure.

I always double check- if something seems too low or inaccurate, i either try to stay low the rest of my day, or I research elsewhere.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That's what I do. Eventually I have built up my recent and frequent foods with entries I know are correct.
    Is it ideal? No. But it's the best option I've seen around and it's free.
    Also, keep in mind that some food nutritional information can vary from country to country for the same product.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Make your own entries.

/thread
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Its meant to help. If you don't want its help then stop using it and look up every calorie every time - its FREE! I'm amazed by the number of people who make excuses for not losing weight - primarily people complaining about this app and blaming the app. No one is forcing you to use it. People have lost weight for decades without using it. I like it - i know my regular foods which appear in my short list and they are accurate as i checked those items. Seriously if you don't like it then go somewhere like weight watchers and pay $15 a week for a database that is even worse.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Make your own entries.

/thread

That's right.

its-science-anchorman.gif
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options

That's what I do. Eventually I have built up my recent and frequent foods with entries I know are correct.
    Also, keep in mind that some food nutritional information can vary from country to country for the same product.

This.

Also, sometimes if I'm eating a food that I have to guess the calorie content (like at a mom & pop diner), sometimes I will look at several entries for the same food and choose the one I feel most resembles what I ate.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Its meant to help. If you don't want its help then stop using it and look up every calorie every time - its FREE! I'm amazed by the number of people who make excuses for not losing weight - primarily people complaining about this app and blaming the app. No one is forcing you to use it. People have lost weight for decades without using it. I like it - i know my regular foods which appear in my short list and they are accurate as i checked those items. Seriously if you don't like it then go somewhere like weight watchers and pay $15 a week for a database that is even worse.

lawl. I have to say, I do agree. It just takes a little extra time. If you're dedicated enough, you'll do it.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    OR you could take a little bit of your own time and either check to be sure the information is accurate/input it yourself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This.

Also, sometimes if I'm eating a food that I have to guess the calorie content (like at a mom & pop diner), sometimes I will look at several entries for the same food and choose the one I feel most resembles what I ate.

I do the same thing. I compare the high and low end of the entries and what the calorie content of the majority of them are and make a best guess from there. Sometimes I pick the highest. Sometimes the average depending on the dish.
  • wpayers
    wpayers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Whoa...lighten up Cowboy. The only definite here is that no database available today is completely accurate. Moreover, net calorie monitoring and subsequent weight control is not an exact undertaking. Everyone will react differently to modifications in food intake and exercise. IF you are serious about your health, I suggest doing as others have suggested and expand your research. MFP is good but not perfect.

Overall, I suggest your underlying issue is more about effort than just calories. No App is going to change your life. Most people fail here because what is staring back at them from the mirror rather than #'s in a database.

Finally, please take my comments in a positive light. You've only been at this 2.5 weeks. Most folks with even a moderate level of success take much longer to settle into a routine/diet they trust. Do your research, have some discipline and give it time.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this free service doesn't work EXACTLY the way you want it to. The nerve!

I find it interesting that you can take the time to type out 7 paragraphs about the food database, but you don't have time to enter your own foods or at least go in and add the 1 carb to your Monster Energy drink.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this free service doesn't work EXACTLY the way you want it to. The nerve!

I find it interesting that you can take the time to type out 7 paragraphs about the food database, but you don't have time to enter your own foods or at least go in and add the 1 carb to your Monster Energy drink.

This! :drinker:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

This! :drinker:

[img]http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/ksy1969/Pics for Forums/ChuckThumbsUp_zpsa2bcfac5.jpg[/img]