My FIRST EVER 5k race is tomorrow! Suggestions???

Options
2»

Replies

• 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is like many of the others, Have Fun!! 5Ks are fun and usually there are a lot of friendly people. Congrats on your training
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Smile, hold your head high and have a blast!! You are going to love it!!:)
    Oh, and please post here after and tell us all how awesomely you did:-)
    Options
    Remember, you can always run slower.
    Options
    If you want to.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself, start off slow Run hard and enjoy it.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have no reply. I am no where near running. Posters around me sound like fabulous ones. Stay cool, finish, and GOOD LUCK!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Carb load and go off like a shot when the gun fires.

Or eat sensibly, start in a pace-appropriate area, and enjoy the accomplishment and keep up the good work.

Dont listen to sarcastic-man:wink:

Dont start in front, you will be trampled! Get there in plenty of time esp if you didnt pick up your bib. Dont worry about carb loading, but do try to use the restroom before the race. Start at a comfortable pace. You can always speed up. Since you have only been running for 3 months dont try and worry about time, you can next time though.

If you stop for water, get off to the side. Warn people if you are about to drop to a walk so you are not crashed into.

Ignore typos, and punctuation errors, typimg from ipad and i hate it!

Meant to add a smiley - I'm always happy for race virgins on their big day :)
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Advice: do not wear anything new, or do anythinng you have not done before the race.
    Once you finish the run, enjoy the atmosphere around you! And don't forget to tell us how it all went :smile:
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! And have fun :)
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K in cotton. 100% cotton. Head to toe.

Don't do that.

Stay hydrated, though you really don't *need* to stop for water for a 5K, it's a short enough distance that it's not necessary (you can if you want to, of course!). I skipped the water station for my first 5K.

Don't burn through all of your energy in the first mile. Adrenaline and crowds and super-fast-elite-runners-flying-past may make it seem like a good idea to speed up, but resist the urge. You can speed up later if you're still feeling super awesome and energetic, and then have a really strong finish. But chances are that when mile 2 shows up, you'll be glad you didn't push yourself to the limit already in mile 1. And when mile 3 shows up, you'll definitely be glad you didn't!

Plan your playlist for your ipod ahead of time (if you plan on listening to music). Also, set out everything ahead of time that you'll need for race day. Your clothes, shoes, bib, etc. That way when morning comes, you're not scrambling and trying to locate things.

Don't wear any clothing you haven't already trained in before. Race day is never the day to try anything new. Don't eat any new foods for breakfast either. Stick to foods you are already used to and know won't upset your stomach.

Pee before the race.

Smile at the race photographers even if you're dying on the inside! (I never notice the photographers until I've ran past them, so my event photos are awwwwful. Like, wtf am I doing with my face? Do really look like that when I run?! Ewwwww).

Have fun! Crossing the finish line is an amazing feeling! Trust yourself; you know you can do this! You've already done the training, this is your victory lap!
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Run the speed you are comfortable with - don't worry about the other runners - this is YOUR 5K.

While I would love to say the whole thing is great and positive, you may have a bad experience - the first 5K I did (mostly running) there was no one giving directions at the end - I couldn't see the water/snack table or finisher t-shirts. People were leaving or standing around waiting for the half-marathoners. It s#%$&d. BUT - I still run and did another 5K two weeks ago - ran the whole thing and people cheered at the end! (Still was the last runner and had a couple of walkers "beat" me but hey, I ran it, didn't I?)

The point of my ranting is - you are doing something 3 months ago you probably couldn't - just think of where you can be in another 3? No one's experience is the same and while others might not appreciate your journey, you know you have a supporter here!
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! The race starts at 8:30 this morning, so ill be back to let you know how i did! Thanks again!
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Kick some *kitten*!
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    39:28 was my time. It was down.town Columbus Ohio and there was road construction at the start/finish. There were so many walkers packed in so tight at the beginning that the runners didnt really get to break away and begin to run for almost .2 of a mile! I didnt start with the SPRINTERS so i guess that was my own fault.

But after that, it was fine. I had fun and altho i didnt end up running the whole thing (which was my goal) , im pretty happy with my time, and will work harder to push myself between now and my next 5k (in 2 weeks!)

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and advice! Have a great weekend!
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You got your PR :flowerforyou: Next thing you know you are training for a 10k, half marathon, full marathon... Running is addicting! :wink: