Hopefully this is the right place to ask.....

Options
I have just started using this site and have an important observation, question.

I am currently doing Jenny Craig and I have 1500 calories a day based on my level of exercise level. The diary log shows my calories less my exercise showing net calories. If I walk for 1 1/2 hours my deficit is pretty high. I am terrified to have my body plateau on me. So far I have enjoyed a quick weight loss of between 1.5 and 4 pounds a week.

I have stayed religious to my program without eating anything I was not supposed to. No need to as I am satisfied with what has been going in. When I have all my food in for the day less the exercise the tracker says if I don't eat more I would go starvation mode.

Since before now I haven't tracked to the letter what I am doing this is starting to get me thinking.

I am embarking on my first week of 2 days on my own. Jenny Craig for those who don't know is an all inclusive meal program. You eat their foods with a few outside things like milk and veggies, fruits but it is an all in balanced food diet.

I have a calorie goal of 1500, the diary shows 1250 and I still have "change" at the end of the day.

Before I screw up my head am I doing something wrong?

Help me please.

Deborah

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by diary shows 1250? Do you mean that after you've logged all of your food for the day, you're at 1250, or with your exercise extra calories you're bumped down from 1500 to 1250? Perhaps you could make your food diary public?
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    It is a simple answer.. You cannot go below 1200 calories or your body will go into 'starvation' mode. Where instead of losing weight you'll body will store fat because it thinks you might go long periods without eating.

Take it from someone who has been there eating only 500 calories a day. There is such a thing as 'starvation' mode. Your best bet is to try to lose around 1 pound a week, maybe 2. The slower you lose it, the easier it normally is to keep it off.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Although I agree you shouldn’t go below 1200 calories net to prevent starvation mode, Jenny Craig isn't a billion dollar company for nothing right? Don't they also have a guarantee, 20 lbs in 20 weeks or something?

If you are still on JC with the food and meal plan, stick to that for now b/c otherwise counting calories here as well and listening to all of our opinions will just rattle you.

Speak tO JC regarding their guarantee so if you notice a plateau in your weight loss over the next couple weeks you can bring this information to their attention.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The issue here is that you're following the Jenny Craig plan, and they work differently from MFP. I think you are at the point where you need to decide if you're going to continue with Jenny Craig, or switch to MFP completely. In my mind, I would think to keep on with Jenny Craig until I plateau, and then change it up to help you maintain your weight loss.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Going on the assumption that the 1,250 is net after exercise, you're still above 1,200 for the day. Not sure why that's the magic number that is quoted everywhere but I'm sure it's been researched. Personally, my daily calorie goal is set at 1,200. I exercise 6 days a week, burning anywhere from a measly 75 calories (20 minutes of Pilates) to over 300. Not a strong workout compared to a lot of people, but it works for me. I have been doing this for 11 weeks now. I don't eat all my exercise calories, but I try to eat enough that I net to about 1,200 per day. Some days I'm under, some days I'm over. No starvation mode yet and I'm losing 1-1/2 to 2 pounds per week on average. i do think everyone is different in how their bodies react. If you have a bad week & think you didn't eat enough calories, just adjust the following week and your body will follow suit. Hope that helps!
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    It is honestly up to you whether or not you want to eat back your exercise calories. Some people do, some don't.

If you are at 1250 calories for the day, you are fine. You are not in jeopardy of going into Starvation Mode. It takes weeks for Starvation Mode to set in anyway.

MFP just shows you how many calories you earn back from exercise for the day to give you the opportunity to re-fuel your body. If you are fully satisfied and not feeling hungry....then you may choose not to eat back those extra calories.
  • crissi66
    Options
    You can eat your exercise calories or just leave them. I dont eat them and consistently lose 2lbs a week. If you are eating and feel satisfied then most people will agree your fine and not to worry about it. especially if your already losing the weight
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1500 from JC includes exercise calories. MFP will give you 1250 and allow you to eat your exercise calories. If you burn 400 cals 3 days a week MFP will give you 1650 for 3 days and 1250 for the other 4. For the week MFP would allow for 9950 cals and JC would 10500, which is only a difference of 550 calories per week or less than 80/day.
  • duckdogs
    duckdogs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at my settings and I figured out that the 1250 is 1500 less exercise of 1/2 hours of dog walking (my min allowable - that's what the "girls" say and that is my goal/target. I have been walking 1 1/2 hours to pump it up and seem to get my deficit there. I am going to be doing 2 days a week on my own foods per the program and I think this site is wonderful for the all on my own time to keep me real.

I have lost weight lots of times in my lifetime and am good at it. Therein lies the problem - still haven't figured out how to keep it lost. Damn things keep finding me and it's getting a little tiring. I am getting older and now blood pressure, sore legs and aching back are telling me lose it or else!

Not vain anymore just want to be the best I can be and here for a long time. Hubby is diabetic and we are both getting older. Want to be around to enjoy life.

I will keep toddling on with this wonderful support group and site and use it more meaningfully on my free days and when I am at goal to help me to be aware of what I am doing with food and exercise.

I am very very impressed with this site. There is finally hope and something truly useful for me to succeed.

I will do this! I will succeed!

Nice to have a wonderful community here to help.

Deb
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    I'm not a huge believer in the whole starvation mode thing honestly.
    People who are anorexic never complain about starvation mode really.
    You cut calories you lose weight, its as simple as that.
    A gradual calorie deficit is better in my opinion so you wont feel too horrible.

And if you hit a point where your not losing you might have to step up the cardio a notch.
    You didnt gain the weight overnight and you wont lose the weight overnight.
    Have patience and perseverance dedication and hope.

Goodluck on your journey.