Is it rude?

Options
hj1119
hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
Is it rude to RSVP "no" to a party invitation, and then call to change to yes/ ask for a re-invite?

Replies

• WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    It wouldnt bother me. Things happen, plans change.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Depends on the circumstances. Are the hosts going to be put out by a late guest (not enough food, seating, etc.)? If it were, say, a wedding, then yes that would incredibly rude. If it is instead a group meeting for a movie, then no, I don't see a problem.
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    Depends on the circumstances. Are the hosts going to be put out by a late guest (not enough food, seating, etc.)? If it were, say, a wedding, then yes that would incredibly rude. If it is instead a group meeting for a movie, then no, I don't see a problem.

Just thought I'd give a vote to this.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I was peeved when invited guests didn't utilize my pre-stamped envelopes/RSVP cards that were sent with the invitations -- whether they came or not. It was especially bad when they were a "no" and didn't tell me until the last minute....some LITERALLY the last minute.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It depends on the event.

If it's a wedding, yes- it's rude. There's a lot of planning that goes into a wedding. If it's to dinner, then no.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    This is very circumstantial.
    What type of event is this?
    How far away is the event from the date you changed your mind?
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude, even for a wedding. As a considerate gesture, you want to submit an RSVP ASAP, because you know how stressful the whole planning is. Yet, when it gets closer, things MIGHT change...maybe your work finally approved time off, or maybe you found a babysitter (who the hell knows), the very least you can do is ASK the bride/groom "Hey, plans changed, if you have a spot for me still, I'd love nothing more than to attend your wedding."

How is that rude? I'd be thrilled (even if I didn't have a spot) that their initial "no" wasn't just cause they didn't care and that they obviously care enough to try and attend when they could go do something else with their approved time-off work.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's not a wedding, it's actually "just" a bridal shower but the hostess can be a pretentious c*nt sometimes so i would almost rather not go than have her whispering nasty gossip behind my back about my "rude" RSVP no-then-yes (even though the reason was I cancelled a very important event that the bride to be had unknowingly planned on attending)