Hmm, question.

Options
Is it true that the less weight you have to lose, the less you eat?

Replies

• Uptopargolf
    Options
    Not really sure what you mean?

Do you mean if you weigh 150, and want to lose 5 pounds THAT you would eat less than someone who weighs 170 and wants to lose the same 5 pounds?

If so, there are a lot of different factors, like body fat %, etc etc.

But the general answer would be YES.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yeah, something like that. Lol

I am just wondering because I'm 5'1, 121 pounds currently and have 11 to go and was wondering if I should lower my daily calorie intake.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    yes. The more you weigh, the more calories you can eat in a day and still lose weight. As you lose weight, you should start cutting calories from your diet and/or exercising more in order to allow your body to continue losing weight.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

I am just wondering because I'm 5'1, 121 pounds currently and have 11 to go and was wondering if I should lower my daily calorie intake.

You might want to lower your calorie intake slightly, but if possible try increasing the amount you workout. I assume the goal is to lose body fat, not muscle. And if you just eat less, you'll end up burning off muscle also.
  • ErinMarie25
    Options

You might want to lower your calorie intake slightly, but if possible try increasing the amount you workout. I assume the goal is to lose body fat, not muscle. And if you just eat less, you'll end up burning off muscle also.

Yeah, that's the part I worry about, burning off muscle. I have a bit of body fat to lose which is what I'm working on. The rest of my stomach pooch.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Although in theory the other posters may be correct, the less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be. 0.5 to 1.0 lbs per week max if you have less than 10 lbs to lose.

So while you do need less calories if you weigh less, your caloric deficit should be smaller the closer you get to your goal. If you were 175 your maintenance may be 2000 and to lose 1.5 lbs/week you would get 1250 clas/day. Once you get down to say 125 your maintenance may only be 1700, but if you change your goal to 0.5/week your intake would be 1450, which is higher than the 1250 you consumed when you were heavier.

In other words if you are set up to lose 2 lbs/week, don't eat less change your goal to 1 lb/week and you will actually get to eat more. The closer you are to your goal you want a smaller caloric deficit or you risk burning off muscle not just fat, and with less fat to burn a large deficit will cause your body to shed lean muscle.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

Yeah, that's the part I worry about, burning off muscle. I have a bit of body fat to lose which is what I'm working on. The rest of my stomach pooch.

Make sure you eat enough protein, thats the most important for trying to lose fat but keep muscle!
  • ErinMarie25
    Options
    I eat plenty protein, I always go over. Lol

I currently changed it to 1 pound a week instead of 1.5 and it went from 1450 to 1350 calories. I'm going to go with that. I feel kinda stuck at this weight in a way, but then again the past 2 weekends weren't that great at all, especially with sodium levels. But I am back to being very strict with how and what I am eating.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    But I think it's also the case that if you have less fat to lose it may not be such a good idea to go for the big deficits. I found this thread really helpful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner?hl=getting+leaner
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    I think its 10 calories per pound to maintain your body weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think its 10 calories per pound to maintain your body weight.

That doesn't take into account daily activity level BMR is pretty close to that, but that would be if you slept all day. 1 weigh 140ish and my maintenance is over 1900 cals as a sedentary activity level.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

To work off belly fat you need to focus on more ab exercises. I know you can't spot reduce but overall fat loss may not get rid of the belly fat. It's notoriously difficult to lose, especially if you've had children. Ab exercises and Pilates worked well for me before since really tightening up all the ab muscles, especially the really deep ones, go a long way toward reducing the "pooch".
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Any calorie deficit will mean you burn muscle. It is just the way it is. What you want to do is minimize that muscle loss.