HRM question

Options
So over the weekend, I was at the local outlet mall in the watch store, buying hubby a watch, when I saw that they had last year's Timex Ironman HRM on sale for 70% off. I figured what the heck! So at zumba class on Monday, I gave it a try - it told me that in 45 minutes, I burned 761 calories! Last night, when teaching our hour long zumba class, it told me I burned 1200!! Now, I do work very hard in class, and really push myself to get as much workout as I possibly can, but I'm worried that perhaps it's off? I did set my weight and stuff so I know that's not the issue...any thoughts from other HRM users?

Replies

• ginnyroxx
    Options
    it depends on my instructor. but in a super high paced class this past weekend, I burned close to 800 calories in a 65 set.
    so yeah...i think it's possible.

eta: have you set it for your height/weight/ etc?
  • markymark39
    Options
    sounds reasonable for 45 or 60 minutes of cardio. have you double checked it with the numbers here in the exercise section to see if its close using your height/weight? mine is usually close...maybe 100 calories off. i go with the HRM since it has the exact intensity of my workout rather than the average here on the website.
  • thenebean9
    Options
    Well, Zumba isn't an option under the pre-defined workouts on MFP, so I've been using Dance, Aerobic, Modern and Twist. It would tell me that for 45 minutes I was burning 318, which is a HUGE difference. Maybe that's been wrong all this time? I'm not sure...others would use High Impact Aerobics for Zumba, which puts me a bit closer to what my HRM is telling me...I just want to feel comfortable that the number is close, or right, and that when I eat some of my exercise calories, I'm not going too far over instead!
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    how much is the average HRM. Im wanting to get one but dont know enough about them and I want to get a quality one, but not pay too much
  • thenebean9
    Options
    how much is the average HRM. Im wanting to get one but dont know enough about them and I want to get a quality one, but not pay too much

I got mine at the outlets - but I would guess that good ones go in the range of $100 or so...this is the one I got - you can find it on amazon for not too bad of a price...

http://amzn.to/bq94GL
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    There's actually a good model for a good deal right now (today only, about half off). Many people on this site recommend Polar HRMs, which is what this one is. Give it a look.

http://www.1saleaday.com/
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    I have a polar F6 and i love it :) I got a great deal on ebay!
  • JensLogin
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the specific model you purchased; however, that seems a little high on the calorie burn. Is this a continuous heart rate monitor? I know the height and weight do make a difference, so maybe that is why it seems higher than what I would normally see on my HRM.

I too work out very hard during my cardio sessions and would not see 1200 calories burned in a 60 minute session. But hey, I guess it is possible based on what others are saying here as well.

Good luck to you - hope it continues to work out for you!
  • thenebean9
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the specific model you purchased; however, that seems a little high on the calorie burn. Is this a continuous heart rate monitor? I know the height and weight do make a difference, so maybe that is why it seems higher than what I would normally see on my HRM.

I too work out very hard during my cardio sessions and would not see 1200 calories burned in a 60 minute session. But hey, I guess it is possible based on what others are saying here as well.

Good luck to you - hope it continues to work out for you!

The HRM I have does keep track of my heart rate throughout the workout - if that's what you mean by continuous heart rate monitor? It has the strap, and once I turn it on, it's telling me what my heart rate about every second. I guess we'll just go with it for now and see what happens! Any other advice is always appreciated :D

Thanks everyone!!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If it has a chest strap, that is a very reliable number. What I do though, is I take my base metabolism rate and break it down to what I burn per minute. Then I multiply that by the number of minutes worked out and subtract that from the calories my HRM said i burned. Then I am not double counting calories.
  • thenebean9
    Options
    If it has a chest strap, that is a very reliable number. What I do though, is I take my base metabolism rate and break it down to what I burn per minute. Then I multiply that by the number of minutes worked out and subtract that from the calories my HRM said i burned. Then I am not double counting calories.

Oooh math! Can you give me an example of how you do all that? I've been counting it a little less on MFP than what it tells me, just in case...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!! This is very helpful to me, and I'm sure others who have HRMs :D
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options

smart and more accurate! thanks! :smile:
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ok so I took a shot at it...

My BMR is 1852.

So 1852/24 (hours in a day) = 77.16/60 (mins in a day) = 1.286 cals per minute

Then multiply that by what we work out and minus it from HRM. :bigsmile: