Mental Health

Options
I think that sometimes we get a little obsessed with counting calories and exercise and we forget to work on our mental health...for many of us, that means examining why we overeat or don't take care or ourselves, or even trying to eat more in order to establish a more healthy relationship with food.

What are your tips for getting mentally healthy?

I try and cut back on put-downs (to myself and others) and (because I have had binge eating issues in the past) focus on rewarding myself with non food items and finding other outlets for stress.

Replies

• Mrbackslap
    Options
    Well balanced meal, getting in enough vitamins, exercise and rest and possible some counseling.
  • flynabster
    Options
    I know I can get obsessed too....just my addictive personality I guess....
    Haven't really thought about trying to change my thought patterns.....something I definitely have to work on.....
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    exercise helps me! keeps my mind balanced!!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Follow my own advice! I am great at giving advice. I should have made a living out of it. But do I take it? Not usually. That's what I need to work on. Thanks for this. ;)
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. For me I try and reward myself with things that do not relate to food or alcohol. Not a night out with my friends that include fast food and drinking lots of beer. Things to pamper myself with for all my hard work. I also try to find other things to distract me when I'm stressed or bored. So far I'm doing good with the alternative ways to deal with stress. Not so much on the rewards. Thanks for this!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Exercise is my number one priority every day and I reward myself with computer games. I could play games all day, but I have set rules for myself and usually follow them. In the past I have encouraged and supported everyone but me, but I am trying to be kinder to me these days. I still call myself names on a daily basis, but I think its not as much as it used to be. I know I have to like me before anyone else can.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat when I`m stressed out.I try other ways to deal with the stress,relaxing candles,call to a friend,or,whatever I can do to interupt the pattern of going to food for comfort.
    I also make sure I get the proper rest and sleep.I know when I don`t get the proper amount of sleep,I`m more prone to more moods and also prone to lower my immune system and tendencies to eat more to.
    Exercise is the key to keeping my stress level down.I feel so much better after some kind of work out.
    I also try not to get focused on the numbers and the scale.When I have met a goal or lost some wt,I reward myself with a small token of my success.(not a food item).
    When I started my wt loss program>my dr had me make a chart and put stickers on it for certain goals and then I was to reward my self.3 years later I stll look at the charts and how far I have come.My grand daughter loves all the different colors on the stickers.
    Taking care of yourself is not only the physical part, it`s also is mental part.
    LOL,jane
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I definitely find myself working on my attitude, and reminding myself periodically of certain things. It takes practice, certainly, but over time it does become easier to be kind to myself. I'm working on improving my health, and even if I get side-tracked, it's not the end of the world. Another thing I remind myself of is that it took me 15 years to put all the weight on. There's no way it's coming off in a couple of weeks or months.

Basically, every time my thoughts trend in a certain direction, I redirect them elsewhere, somewhere more constructive. Like I said, it takes time and practice. But so does calorie counting, and building up healthy habits.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I seriously struggle with this!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I meditate. Sounds cheesy but it really helps me stay (more) centered.