Researching the "Starvation Mode"

Options
It is a subject that comes up often on the boards and swings both ways as to whether you believe or don't believe in it. So anyway I have been reading up on some old studies that I found very interesting and being that I am older, 56, believe to offer me some light on my eating patterns I have developed over my years of yo yo dieting. I found this article very interesting so thought I would share.

http://www.possibility.com/wiki/index.php?title=EffectsOfSemiStarvation

Interesting isn't it.

Replies

• mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    BUMP to read later. Thanks for sharing!
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Interesting... :-)
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    very very informative.. thanks for sharing!
  • krisdw
    krisdw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    wow that's really really interesting. thanks so much for sharing!
  • razorbecky
    Options
    bump
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Interesting, especially since their food intake at 1/2 normal would be around 1000 cals or maybe just under.

Side note, I bumped my cals up from deficit to maintenance (from 1500-1990) 3 or 4 weeks ago (since I'm pregnant) and have been eating all of them most days plus most exercise cals and I dropped almost 4 lbs! Which, considering being pregnant (I thought I would gain a little), and only having had about 10 to lose (and losing pretty slowly) is a pretty big change!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Interesting, especially since their food intake at 1/2 normal would be around 1000 cals or maybe just under.

Side note, I bumped my cals up from deficit to maintenance (from 1500-1990) 3 or 4 weeks ago (since I'm pregnant) and have been eating all of them most days plus most exercise cals and I dropped almost 4 lbs! Which, considering being pregnant (I thought I would gain a little), and only having had about 10 to lose (and losing pretty slowly) is a pretty big change!

With both my pregnancies I consistently lost about 1 pound a week until about 15-20 weeks. With my first it made sense because I had horrendous morning sickness and could barely eat, but with my second I didn't have morning sickness. I didn't watch what I ate either.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting article. I'm not quite sure what to make of it in terms of my own weight loss goals, but maybe it explains why I seem to lose the most weight over the weekend when I don't restrict my calories or go to the gym.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    bump
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I always knew that severely restricting your calories you would lose weight, I have taken care of my share of anorexic's. And in the past I have also severely restricted my own calorie intake. I found it interesting that when they reintroduced food and normal eating most these people, remember they were not obese to start with, started binge eating and becoming obsessed with food. So true to my own past failed diets, LOL. It also may explain why so many of the gastric bypass patients I know do well for awhile and then start gaining again. Heck, even when I first started here I became obsessed with food, what to eat for breakfast, lunch, supper. Fortunately I am more comfortable with my eating and not having problems now. Anyone else notice this?