Is crossfit worth it?

Options
123457»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If you want to be very FIT then crossfit may be you, if this is about weight loss, then you still need table push aways and fork put downs.

You don't need crossfit to be very fit.

Reading comprehension fail. She said "want" and "may"..

Eh, the statements aren't incompatible. First post covers want and may, second covers need.

Together they combine into Captain Planet, and give a more complete response than each individually. They totally synergized straight into Answer3.0 territory.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you want to be very FIT then crossfit may be you, if this is about weight loss, then you still need table push aways and fork put downs.

Guess that would fully be dependent on how one describes "very fit".
  • Fredfishman
    Options

Of course not, its just one way to get there and I think will work pretty well for my wife. Shes been doing an full body weightlifting program for a while now (with real lifts) and does "pole fitness" as well. She was in pretty good shape for starting crossfit, but a few of the intro lessons and she could feel where her weakspots were and the need for more cardio. Its just another way to push and motivate yourself to improve.

Crossfit gets a lot of hate out there, especially in bodybuilding, and a lot of injury talk but my wife was a long distance runner for a few years, and had two tendon injuries, and all of her running buddies were injured at some point as well. Bodybuilders themselves are prone to injury, as is just about ANYONE playing a sport or doing an exercise program where you push yourself.

I hurt myself doing heavy squats two years back, that sort of thing happens.

I'll tell you the one place I wouldn't have gotten injured and that was working out with my PT. The reason being his workouts were nothing but cardio and fatigue. I won't get hurt doing 20 reps of low weight followed by another 20, etc, but I won't be gaining much beyond endurance either. I can understand why of course, lawsuits, and client retention. I wanted to improve though so I cut the ties, I was actually losing strength.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I would just do kettlebell workouts at home or at the gym and just go to the gym because 15 minutes isn't that bad at all. But nutrition is way important too.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I would just do kettlebell workouts at home or at the gym and just go to the gym because 15 minutes isn't that bad at all. But nutrition is way important too.

What does this have to do with crossfit?
  • lildee0216
    lildee0216 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    $140.00 a month is a lot of money for CrossFit. I go to a box and I spend a $100 a month. To be honest it is worth the money HOWEVER I love my box and my coaches. The coaches at my box actually care about the people and guide them and insist on working on form. Most boxes, it is a competition and people come in thinking they are bad *kitten* and lift heavy and end up injured. The first box I initially started going to...the coaches would be on their phones texting during a WOD and people were getting injured. I left that gym ASAP....

If you are not experienced or avid gym goer....I don't suggest CrossFit. You also need to find a good box. My box has early morning classes starting at 6am and in the evenings as late as 7pm with open gym from 8-9pm.

One day a week have Olympic Lifting day where you do not WOD you strictly work on form. We have a professional OLY Lifter from Puerto Rico that coaches. He does not speak much english but he guides you through the movements and corrects your form. It has helped me tremendously.

They are going to start yoga 2x a week at night...and I'm extremely excited for this as well.

Good luck to you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I really think what needs to be addressed by the OP is will it be worth it for her. It's like buying clothes. It's worth it to ME to buy good gym clothes and not dress suits. Why? Because I don't dress up. So I would find it a waste of money to spend $500 on a good suit.
    So in retrospect CF won't be worth it to people who don't do it/care for it and will be worth it to those that do it and love it. It's going to be subjective.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • technibble
    technibble Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The place I go to has a beginners class, crossfit 101. No loud music, until the workout at the end, and they step you through learning each move and tailor it to your ability. There have been at least 3 instructors in each class to check your form and give tips. So far so good. Try and find a place like that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've always liked crossfit's self description.

A box. Everyone loves their box. Indeed.

urbandictionary for the win.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    IF you go to a good crossfit box, it should be well worth your money.

Good coaches know that novices should not be jumping right into lifting heavy weights. While they push you to complete your WODs for time, they will encourage you to use lighter weights in order to master form. Especially with warmups and strength training and with complicated movements like the various cleans, they will want you to warm up with the PVC pipe; if you and your coach both think you have the form down, move up to the 45lb bar, etc.

Also, if you are hesitant about a box, get more bang for your buck and see if any nearby boxes have deals on groupon. If not, a lot of boxes will offer a free foundation class so you can figure out if it's right for you.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Also, funny story about Crossfit. My coach is kind of a prick but also hilarious. Today we were doing Nancy. I'd done Nancy once before with the PVC pipe and decided to be a badass and use the 45 lb bar today. So inevitable my squats were getting less and less deep. By the very last round, I'm dying and I decide to put down the bar for 10 seconds and my coach yells "ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME IT'S THE LAST ROUND KEEP GOING!" and I was just like "ok fine" and busted out my last 5 OH squats.So yeah sometimes a coach may be a bit vulgar but the philosophy is often "You're an adult. You can scream and curse when you are hating a workout and coaches can scream and curse at you when they want you to stop taking your sweet time and just finish."
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I bought a Groupon for Crossfit. I was so excited because I'd heard so many good things about it.

I hated it.

I've been working out regularly for at least 20 years, so it wasn't my first time with weights. But, there was so little instruction to new folks. It was so loud, I couldn't hear the instructor anyway. Everyone was throwing around their weights and they'd go crashing down. After class, I talked to the owner and expressed my concern about the lack of instruction. Someone could very easily get hurt.

I haven't gone back. I've considered giving another location a go, but I've found other workouts that are satisfying to me.

I'm sorry it wasn't a good fit for you.. My place is totally the opposite.. but its all about what gets you motivated to move your *kitten*! Just find that thing you love.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Have to disagree with you that CF is the best way to learn how to lift. One on one with an experienced coach is a much better way to learn. I would not want to put someone in a class setting to learn Olympic lifts. That should be a one on one training.
    Couple of things:

Weight loss is more dependent on your calories in/out than actual exercise regimen.

Crossfit idea is great. Training from "boxes" differ immensely. Shoulder injury rates are about 25% from Crossfit according to a report from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning. That's higher than Olympic and powerlifting competitors (who move much higher amounts of weight).

If you're inexperienced in weight training, it's probably NOT a good idea to join Crossfit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member

Seriously? No.
    I had never picked up a bar before joining crossfit and never once got injured. Saying that newbies to lifting shouldn't join crossfit is ridiculous.
    There is a huge difference in trying to learn good form in an unconditioned body with OLYMPIC style lifting vs building a foundation first (basic squat, shoulder presses, deadlifts) and then transitioning to Olympic lifting.
    You're the "special" person that may have excelled at it. Injury statistics for new Crossfitters (as well as seasoned lifters who joined) is at about 27% according to a study from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning.
    I'm NOT against free weight training or Olympic style lifting. The OP is inexperienced in lifting at all. There are better approaches for her to learn correct lifting technique and form rather than to jump into HIIT Crossfit training.

IDEA Fitness member

Are you familiar with how CrossFit does their training?

Do you know how the techniques are taught?
    Yes. In fact, I have two good friends who are actual instructors at the Crossfit near my gym. They were both competitive Olympic lifters (I believe one still is and she's pretty good) before opening their box.
    Going in and doing a workout, I obviously did fine, until it came to pullups. I refused to do a "kip" pullup. And won't ever do one.
    Anyway, I don't believe that there is a "standard" protocol on how they instruct or for any other box for that matter. Like any other gym, there WILL be bad trainers and bad instruction. But bad instruction in a CF gym could be pretty disastrous.
    Again I like the HIIT method of CF. Some of their workouts are pretty awesome. But from my professional standpoint and from what I've seen happen to a few former gym members, 3 who were very seasoned weightlifters(now injured with some needing surgery), I'd stand by my point of a newbie learning the basics and building a base before advancing onto Olympic lifting.

IDEA Fitness member

"A work out" and "I don't believe there is a standard protocol on how they instruct",

Means, no you aren't familiar with Crossfit coaching techniques.
    I'm sorry I didn't use CF verbage. I did a WOD. And what I meant for a "standard protocol" is like that of any other gym. We have a standard protocol we do for each an every member. CF is a training regimen and boxes differ from one another. While it's still all CF (basically a brand), I don't believe that every box has the same standards of protocol. I could be wrong, but then it would be hard to explain the CF fails of some boxes on youtube if they are all following the same standards.

IDEA Fitness member

Watch out....your bias is showing. As a PT, you have every reason to hate on CF.

CrossFit is a great way to learn how to lift, especially if you are too shy/embarrassed to use a weight room or can't afford a personal trainer. We have a 6 week, 3X/week, beginner training course called elements, which then transitions into beginner WODS and then into the real deal. Every box is different. If the trainers aren't taking the time to teach you, find a new one.
  • hehesheppy
    Options
    I do crossfit and I'd say to give it a try before you commit to it. See if they have a free classs that you can attend (most places do). I pay $105 but for me its worth it because I find the gym extremely boring and I've never gotten results like I do in crossfit. It's extremely hard thought because it's mostly HIIT, but we do strength training as well a couple times a week.

Another thing is that some crossfit locations simply arent good at all. For example, the first place I ever went to had an intro class and they show you all the moves and you attend a few of those before you can join the actual class. I loved it and the coaches never pushed you to do something you didnt feel comfortable doing. Along with this, they worried about form more than anything and that is the most important thing! I had to leave that location because I wanted somewhere closer to my job.. so when I tried the other location, it sucked! The coaches were horrible and they wouldnt even pay attention to you. That being said, i left after 10 minutes of being there and never went back.

Basically my advice is try it, it's very intense but if you can stick through it and you like it then do it! The results will come and for the most part everyone is very friendly and will help you.The workouts are different every day (which keeps it interesting) and you'll have a coach pushing you to keep going (which is what i need because i lack motivation lol). Also almost none of the people that do crossfit are bulky at all! The girls have awesome bodies very toned (especially legs and butt) and the guys are mostly just ripped. SO yea :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I bought a Groupon for Crossfit. I was so excited because I'd heard so many good things about it.

I hated it.

I've been working out regularly for at least 20 years, so it wasn't my first time with weights. But, there was so little instruction to new folks. It was so loud, I couldn't hear the instructor anyway. Everyone was throwing around their weights and they'd go crashing down. After class, I talked to the owner and expressed my concern about the lack of instruction. Someone could very easily get hurt.

I haven't gone back. I've considered giving another location a go, but I've found other workouts that are satisfying to me.

that sounds like a terrible gym/box.

the only reason i'd really want to go is for the instruction, and exposure to new forms of exercise (which hopefully would involve instruction).

with out that, you might as well just go to any gym, or buy your own kick *kitten* home gym equipment for that.