So new the ink hasn't even dried yet!!

Options
Hi there!

I just found my way to this site this morning! I'm still trying to learn my way around and would be glad to receive any and all tips or words of advice to help me make this journey a SUCCESS~and to use this site the best way possible!!

I've been on another weight loss program lately where I've followed the point system and lost 10 pounds so far. I did this plan several years ago and lost 66 pounds--but, alas! they found their way back and brought some of their friends!! This time it's been very sloooooooooooooow!! I know about drinking water and incorporating fruits and veggies in my meal plans. I need to exercise more--which will be a major goal for me now. I'm from Minnesota, so those outdoor walking days will be few and far between now! Altho I bet I could burn off a few calories just getting dressed for a walk! All the warm clothes, boots, jackets, caps, scarves and mittens can sometimes take time and energy to put on and take off!! =)

It's just me to cook for, so sometimes finding recipes/meals that are quick and easy for just one are tough. I tend to go to the sandwichs or frozen meals, adding my own fruits and veggies. I'll have to do some investigating to see how these type of meals will fit with this plan!

As I mentioned, I am brand spanking new---are there places on the site where there are menu plans to follow? Information to read to fill me in on what I should know?

Thanks for any and all info you are willing to share!

Have a great day!
Brenda

Replies

• jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    Brenda,

Welcome to MFP! You'll find great motivation here and a fabulous support group! There is specific no menu, meals, or diets on the site! This site is great to be accountable for what you put in your mouth, track your exercise and get the support you need to improve your health and lose weight!

If it wasn't for this site my first four weeks I probably would have said "pi$$ on it" because I didn't lose any weight! But knowing that people are relying on me to log in and track my food and exercise for their own motivation is what keeps me going.

Under the message boards you will find recipes for varios types of meals. When tracking food I can honestly say there has yet to be anything that I couldn't find in the MFP database!

I will log all my food for the day in the morning, due to the fact I pack my lunch I bring a variety of foods with me each day, I log them in the morning and then even sometimes reevaluate what I'm choosing to have that day depending on where I'm at for my totals!

Feel free to request my friendship if you'd like! We can do this together!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Brenda,

There is a great section just for recipes. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/14-recipes

I've also found that some recipes made for two or more people, especially most crockpot recipes, are good for storage later. A food saver machine comes in handy for my wife and I. We cook enough for dinner and maybe one set of leftovers, and freeze the rest. Whenever we encounter a day where we just won't have time to cook, but don't want to eat out, we can thaw what we need and have it for dinner that night.

Eating for one is difficult, but with some planning, you can make meals that will come in handy later.
  • FrankyOsage
    Options
    Hi Brenda!!!

I don't know if I can help you with meal plans but if you are looking for some great recipes from beginner to advanced that are "lightened up". I most definitely suggest http://www.cookinglight.com/. Its pretty amazing and I haven't been disappointed in the dozen+ meals I've made from there since discovering it!

This site is amazing!! Its a place for people to get together and learn how to live a healthy lifestyle, to lose weight right!! Slow and steady wins the race! Its not really right for those that just want the fastest way to lose (and then almost always gain back). So no quick fixes here!!

Glad to see you on here, especially right before the holidays :D!!!
  • jwilliams88
    Options
    I keep my fridge stocked with lots of veggies! They are so versitile (breakfast,lunch,dinner,snacks). I also keep lean cuts of low calorie meat individually packaged in the freezer. Thin cut pork chops and thin chicken breast cutlets are good suggestions. One thing I also keep are multi-grain tortilla wraps. They range from 70-100 calories each (depending on the size). With these ingredients you can easily make fajitas, burritos, breakfast burritos (with egg whites), quesadillas and tacos. I pair these with salsa which is about 10-15 calories a serving, and some low fat/fat free cheddar cheese. YUMMY! They keep you full, which is always a plus! Also, a little side note, use canola oil pan spray instead of olive oil, no calories!
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota too! :)

Tons of great support, recipes, etc on here!

Welcome welcome welcome!
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your quick response!! I appreciate the friendly welcomes and all the info and tips shared!!

I know I will be on these boards alot!! Nothing better than advice from those that have "been there...done that!" I'm excited about starting new here and am looking forward to moving towards one-derland!!!! I think my mantra will have to be ~patience is a virtue~ as my weight loss this year has been at a snail's pace!! Oh well....it's weight GONE instead of weight ON!!!

Thanks again!!!!!
  • katerinab
    Options
    Another Minnesotan here too :)

It'll get too cold to walk outside, but try walking inside with a Leslie Sansone DVD! Or if you happen to have Comcast cable like me, there are a couple Leslie videos in the On Demand section. Love me some Leslie!
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate--Yep, I love Leslie, too! I have a couple of her DVD's....one, I'm ashamed to say, I haven't even broken the seal on yet!! That's my goal for this week--to get that one going!!

I wish it wasn't so dark when I get off work. Not liking the time change for that reason! By 5:00 it's pitch dark!! Grrr!!

Oh well...Leslie and I will work through this until spring!!! =)
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP from yet another Minnesotan!

If you enjoy walking in the winter, I highly recommend trying snowshoeing. Most of my success thus far has been due to snowshoeing last year in Minnesota state parks. It's easy and burns a TON of calories!

Best of luck!
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Brenda! I am from Minnesota as well!!! This site is the best online tool I have found for tracking your food and exercise, and the support and motivation is out of this world!! There is soooo much information just waiting for you to read! I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey!! I think one thing for us Minnesotans to keep in mind is that, we CANNOT use the weather in this state as an excuse...no more excuses...if there is a will there is a way! Find your motivation, desire, and will power and get to it!!! =)