back from vacation report

Options
Hi everyone,

A while back I wrote about traveling for three weeks for work and to see family and worrying about how to maintain weight, especially since I wouldn't be able to track food electronically for about ten days (no internet) and I was hesitant to weigh and measure everything while at my partner's parents' house.

I'm happy to report that, despite eating out sometimes 4-5 days per week (and a couple of times more than once per day), I've come back from the vacation having only gained about a pound and a half. Could be that pound and a half is water weight too...we'll see in a couple of days (lots more salt than I normally eat).

The strategy I used, which seemed to work pretty well, was to eat as healthy a breakfast and lunch as I could (I hit the grocery as soon as I got there to make sure I had some healthy food to go to). I generally limited myself to a couple healthy breakfasts and lunches that I regularly eat and therefore knew the calories and macros on. Also, I let myself have dessert or wine, but not both on the same day.

Super excited, especially since I think I'm just about at my goal weight (plus or minus five pounds or so). Makes me feel more confident going into maintenance.

Replies

• einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I was only gone for five days but I was at an all-inclusive and didn't believe in healthy at the time. :-) That meant I "gained" six pounds in a trip that wasn't even five full days. :\

But it all came off in about a week/week-and-a-half. Just had to get back to business.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We spent 4 days in Amish country and I gained 10lbs. Even though mostly everything was fresh unprocessed foods I do believe it was loaded with salt and fat.
    It seemed to have been mostly water weight as I am now back on track for 4 days and lost 5 of the 10. So 5 pounds to go to get back where I started.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You did great! And thanks for the report on how to get the job done.
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The strategy I used, which seemed to work pretty well, was to eat as healthy a breakfast and lunch as I could (I hit the grocery as soon as I got there to make sure I had some healthy food to go to). I generally limited myself to a couple healthy breakfasts and lunches that I regularly eat and therefore knew the calories and macros on. Also, I let myself have dessert or wine, but not both on the same day.

Super excited, especially since I think I'm just about at my goal weight (plus or minus five pounds or so). Makes me feel more confident going into maintenance.

Well done, I use this sort of strategy all the time and find that it works, we all went out to a carvery for my sons birthday, last week and I told myself that I couldn't have the meat, roast potatoes etc, etc and an ice cream sundae and the wine - so I thought what I really wanted and I had a turkey salad, ice cream sundae and 2 glasses wine and last night I felt like fish and chips, as I hadn't had any for over six months, I got them home and split everything in half and thoroughly enjoyed it.

As long as you don't start eating more, you will maintain. Good luck for the future x
    [/quote]
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Great job! Adapt, Improvise, Overcome! That is what I try to live by, seems to be working for me!
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We spent 4 days in Amish country and I gained 10lbs. Even though mostly everything was fresh unprocessed foods I do believe it was loaded with salt and fat.
    It seemed to have been mostly water weight as I am now back on track for 4 days and lost 5 of the 10. So 5 pounds to go to get back where I started.

As someone who lives in Amish country can attest, yes, traditional dishes here are loaded with sodium, sugar and lard.

One radio commercial for a restaurant brags that you'll always have a takeout container when you leave because they give you so much food! Why not just put a feed bag on people? And don't get me started on the disgusting buffet everyone loves to go to around here... http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord/

wmmbh5.jpg
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic. I bet it's water.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

As someone who lives in Amish country can attest, yes, traditional dishes here are loaded with sodium, sugar and lard.

One radio commercial for a restaurant brags that you'll always have a takeout container when you leave because they give you so much food! Why not just put a feed bag on people? And don't get me started on the disgusting buffet everyone loves to go to around here... http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord/

wmmbh5.jpg

I lived in central PA for 12 years and am now in Amish OH.

They did some studies and found the average Amish man walks 25 miles per day. You can eat a LOT if you do that and farm labor on top of those steps.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

wmmbh5.jpg

And if there weren't enough calories in everything, I notice you can dispense extra Fresh Chilled Cream over the top... LOL