what did u do with your before clothes?

Options
salvationsdying
salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
40 pounds down I've got some clothes that are to big now. And I still have a long way to go. I'm gonna have to replace everything I own. So I was wondering. What did everyone else do with, or what are you planning on doing with you before clothes? Did you keep your old favorite outfit to remind yourself how far you have come? Or did you toss it all and not look back? I'm thinking about keeping my old favorite pants and doing a before/after in them to show myself the difference. Not sure.

Replies

• 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I replaced most of mine - either gave them away or took them to charity shops. I then lost more weight and discovered a local tailor which would have saved me a fortune if I'd found him before the first round. Still I've got a whole new wardrobe now.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have happily passed mine on to charity.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    They have been passed on to charity.
  • airbearlover
    airbearlover Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I gave most away. But I kept a pair of jeans and a top hoping that if I keep something I won't regain. Superstitious and I know it. :P
    Cue my funny parody of am awesome song. lol
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I need to lose half my body weight, once I've lost the first half of that I will let myself get two new outfits (smart and casual). By then the few of my clothes that haven't already become full of holes will no doubtable be falling apart as well. At that point I'll put them in recycling. After I lose the rest I should imagine at least the casual outfit will also have broken because I will be cheap when I buy it. I will keep my tshirts because tshirts are kinda one size fits all, just different levels of bagginess. Most of my tshirts are from when I was younger and thinner anyway. I'm never going to be the kind of person to want to wear tight clothes anyway. I'd wear an Abaya if I could do it without being accused of cultural appropriation.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of eight storage units in my lifetime because I couldn't pay on them. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on storage units, beginning in 1974, only to lose everything in the end. I have lost tons and tons of belongings when various people who offered to store them for me stole them. I have been evicted without notice quite a few times and had to leave almost everything behind. But I still have "fat clothes"-- none of which I have ever worn-- because for some strange reason, people must think I look like a much larger size! I am dirt-poor and have often been homeless so, people offer to give me their secondhand clothes that don't fit them. I tell everyone, I wear a size 4 in pants; that all 6s are too large and will fall off my *kitten*. So... they give me 8s, 10s ("but they're a SMALL 10"), 12s, and one time a size 15 ("they were my daughter's, and she's LITTLE")-- none of which I could ever wear. Someone suggested maybe if I tell people I wear a 0 or a 2, THEN they'll give me 4s! But if they think I look like an 8 when I am actually a 4, surely they would never believe me if I lied and said I am a 2! They give me large shirts also, but I can still wear them even though I prefer close-fitting shirts. The reason I keep everything is, when you have LOST so much due to unfortunate circumstances, you cling tightly to everything you have left.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping most my tees, I've always been a band tee and jeans kinda girl, and well frankly I got way to much money wrapped up in them. for every band i have a tee for, I have at very least one more of them.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    i would keep tee shirts probably, especially band or event tee shirts. and i would probably still wear em. everything else i am gonna toss and not look back

edited to add, not TOSS.... donate is what i mean by that
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Kept a few things (hoodie, blazer) and gave the rest to the Salvation Army. Wanted shot of the horrid XXXL t-shirts.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 pounds down and I'm just noticing a few of my clothes are looking baggy, But, I've still got a long way to go and I can't afford to be buying clothes every 35-40 pounds… So, I'm going to try alterations for as long as my tailor will do it and as long as they stay in good repair. I think I will keep one pair of jeans for a comparison photo at the very end. But once they get to the point where I can't alter them any further… if they are still in good shape, I will donate.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've kept some things, like my huge, sloppy sweat pants (drawstring waists, yay!), which I sometimes sleep in when it's really cold. Or things like t-shirts which I can use for working out. Most everything else was donated to charity. Some stuff had to be thrown away thanks to a moth infestation. Ugh. :(
  • torichantel2005
    torichantel2005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I still have all of mine piled up in our spare bedroom. I am hesitant to get rid of them because I don't want to have to purchase an entire new wardrobe AGAIN if I gain some weight back. I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the thought of just getting rid of that stuff, though.

As I've lost weight, I've had to buy pants a few times. The first time I went, I went to Kohl's and bought a couple size 10's and size 8's. Luckily those were form fitting enough that they still fit OK, if i wear a belt. After that, as I kept losing weight, I got smart, and started shopping at Clothes Mentor, a resale store. I've had to go an additional three times after that initial Kohl's trip, because my pants kept falling off of me. I started somewhere around a 12 or 14. First shopping trip was for work clothes and I made my casual clothes work. Then I went to buy 6's. Then I bought 4's. Then I needed some shorts, then I bought 2's. It's amazing how easily it is for the pants to become so big that they don't fit. Just 5-10 pounds makes a huge difference. I also finally had to buy new underwear. I was making due, but I got so sick of the saggy butt!

My shirts all still pretty much fit. Some are a little big, but not enough that I'm going to drop more cash on clothes right now!
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Still wearing my before-clothes. I was at the point where my clothes were EXTREMELY snug. Now they're just... extremely loose. I'll deal with 'em for another ten or fifteen pounds, then I'll either throw in some darts or just take them to goodwill. I got most of them at goodwill anyway, because I refused to pay retail on fat-girl pants :P
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    i keep the ones that arent way too big, the rest i've given to a goodwill type store. No point looking back.
    I have new clothes that are too big now, thats the issue of buying them while you are losing weight, new jeans, new tops that were fine 3-6months ago are now way too big even with a belt.

Words of the wise - hold off on buying new clothes until you are close to your goal or buy second hand in the meantime
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I gave most of what didn't fit me away. Only thing I kept was my old belt with notches cut into it to track my progress from where I started
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have kept one pair of jeans just as a marker I will probably get rid of those at some point. Everything else has either been sold or gone to charity. I have a box so if I wash something and deem it now too big I chuck it in and at points I sort through it and either sell, throw or charity. I've picked up quite a few clothes either from charity shops, ebay or wherever as I've gone along as I wasn't going to buy new stuff when I new I'd probably only wear them for a few months. Anything i actually bought from a charity shop gets given back if it's in good condition
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Kept one pair of trousers - my biggest ones - as a reminder of where I was. Everything else has gone to charity.
    Some of the interim clothes are on the verge of going to charity soon too.
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If they are in good shape and current style take them to a resale store (platos closet is what I use most of the time) this is great because then I use the money to buy smaller clothes at a discount at the same store-- then I just keep recycling. They have rewards programs as well to save even more! I do this with new seasons too, it gives my wardrobe some variety without breaking the bank.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I threw big clothes out or donated them to the Salvation Army. I don't need the reminder. ;-)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i packed all mine in trashbags then threw them in a lonely corner