Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Options
It's been three weeks now since I had my surgery and I lost 16 initial lbs. in the first two weeks but have since slowed down, losing only 2 lbs this week. Has anyone else had this surgery and has come to a halt in their weight loss? Also has anyone else experienced pain in their upper left side (just under the rib cage) since surgery?

The docs also switched me from a liquid diet straight to a 60 g protein and 64 oz. fluid intake diet per day (actual meat that is not pureed). I'm really having a hard time getting both in. Any ideas?

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a lap band. I've had it for five years. It was the worst decision I have ever made. (Just being honest) I lost over 130lbs and then promptly gained the majority of it back. I yo-yo like crazy. They also never told me that I should probably get my gall bladder taken out which I had to have done thanks to it or that having a baby will push it up and ugh. Sorry, frustration vent. Lol!

I have the pain on my left side sometimes too.
  • dux1fan
    dux1fan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Follow up with your surgeon. I had Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass surgery in July 2010. It was the best decision I have ever made in my life. The key of not re-gaining weight is FOLLOW DOCTORS ORDERS!!!!!!! If they say no soda, that means NO SODA. If they say no fast food, that means NO FAST FOOD. If the say to work out 30 mins a day, that means WORK OUT... You get what Im saying. I am down 83 lbs and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to you!
  • bridgett28
    bridgett28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass in Dec of 2009. It was one of the best decisions I have done for myself. Now I am working on the last 55lbs of my weight (I have lost 110lbs already).

The pain might be gas pain since it has only been 3 weeks or it might be something more serious. I would say to follow up with your doctor to see if they have any other suggestions for you with it.

As far as the amount of weight you have lost so far, keep working at it -- trying to eat as much protein and getting in as much fluid as possible -- it helps with healing. and if you keep working at it the weight will come off, just give it time.

Hope this helps!
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm a little late joining the convo here but I had Verticle Gastric Sleeve 10/21/10 and have lost just over 20 lbs. over the past 5 weeks. While it took me some time to fall in love with my sleeve, it's the best thing I could have done. I can finally see myself at a normal weight sometime within the not too distant future. I've joined a fitness center and hired a trainer. I also see a nutritionist one-on-one whenever I run into problems with food. I'm trying to set myself up for success the best I know how.

Was glad to come across this post and others who have had WLS and the Sleeve in particular.

Best wishes to you all!

Priska
  • Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I've seen the doc since my last update and they said it was normal to plateau a bit after going to solids. I'm losing weight again and hoping to reach my next goal of 200 lbs. by tomorrow. That will put me at a total weight loss of 68 lbs. (42 pre-surgery and 26 post-surgery). The pain has gone away but they said if it continues, it could be a hernia. I hope the pain stays away. ;) You are all so amazing! Having this surgery is the best thing I've ever done!
  • JustAGirlNASolution
    Options
    I am schedule for Laparascopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy on 12/21/20. Currently on day 2 of my protien diet. It sucks royally. The whole head hunger thing is kicking my butt! I just have to take it one day at a time. I know that in the grand scheme of things, this will be the best decision I have ever made.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wanted to have that surgery but I can't seem to quit smoking and can't afford the co-pays at this time. I would like to know what the gastric-bypass actually does? I mean, does it make it so you are not hungry and eat a lot less food? I thought that if you go below a certain caloric intake your body will hold onto the weight, so what is the deal with the surgeries? I can go on a normal diet and eat as much as if I had the gastric bypass right? What does it really help with and how? I'm doing it on my own for now but am still strongly trying to get the surgery but I want to know the difference of the two, having it done and doing it on your own. Thanks so much! I would appreciate any feedback so I can educate myself on having this done or not.
  • priskar
    Options
    Yay! It's so nice to see other Sleevers here! I was beginning to think this thread was long dead but so happy to see it's been revived. I had my surgery 10/21/10 and eating solids but have proven to be a slow loser due to "Thrifty Metabolism" or DIO but it will come off just a little slower. My husband had his surgery two weeks before me and is down 70 lbs. It's just amazing!

Katz - Many have complained of pain post surgery when they start solids. Remember to chew, chew, chew and to eat very slow. Sometimes it helps to dip your food in something liquid...a little mustard, mayo or sauce of some kind.

MLS - Hang in there with your pre-surg diet. Soon head hunger will be a thing of the past. I wanted juice and broth for about a day after my barium swallow in the hospital. After that, my hunger has disappeared and I have to remind myself to eat every 2 hours.

Being sleeved is the best thing I've ever done.
  • priskar
    Options
    Downtome...

The best place to research and ask people who have had the gastric bypass is at OH (Obesity Help). You can find them here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/

They cover the 9 types of bariatric procedures and all that is entailed with each. Some are malabsorptive (where you don't absorb all your calories - or nutrients). Others are restrictive such as the VSG where a large portion of stomach is removed allowing you only very small meals. Also with VSG, the Grehlin duct is removed and this is what is responsible for hunger. No dealing with hunger ever again for the majority of VSG patients.

Each surgery has it's own pros & cons. It's up to you and your surgeon to decide which is best for you. Keep us posted on what you decide. Will be happy to answer questions regarding VSG as that is what surgery I had. Sorry I have limited info on the others.

Good luck to you!
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I am going to check out the link you sent me. Good luck!
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Good luck on your surgery! The protein is important...didn't know you could lose your hair (among other things) if you don't eat enough protein. I think every surgeon is different. I had basically a regular diet all the way up to the night before my surgery, although it was low fat, low sugar. I'd been doing that anyway so it wasn't hard. Just do everything exactly as they tell you and you'll be fine! I have been very lucky not to have had any of the side effects of the surgery but I can't say that isn't because I followed all the rules! ;)
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I've seen the doc since my last update and they said it was normal to plateau a bit after going to solids. I'm losing weight again and hoping to reach my next goal of 200 lbs. by tomorrow. That will put me at a total weight loss of 68 lbs. (42 pre-surgery and 26 post-surgery). The pain has gone away but they said if it continues, it could be a hernia. I hope the pain stays away. ;) You are all so amazing! Having this surgery is the best thing I've ever done!

I am just curious as to why you had the surgery done if you had already lost 42lbs on your own?
  • Katz85340
    Options
    There is a big difference between the two: gastric bypass and laparoscopic gastric sleeve. The gastric bypass usually requires an incision, whereas the sleeve is done laparoscopically. The gastric requires re-sectioning of your intestines (and retention of your stomach), and has malabsorption problems related to it. The gastric is also considered higher risk. The sleeve does not require re-sectioning of the intestines but does require that they take approximately 3/4 of your stomach out. Even so, the sleeve is considered less risky and has less complications. You can read about both online by searching on each. I educated myself before choosing which surgery I preferred.

Having said that, I used myfitnesspal for 4 months before having the surgery and lost 42 lbs. (since January) on my own. Myfitnesspal is my life savor. I truly believe I would not have done as well as I've done without it. Logging your food is one of the most important keys to successful weight loss. Be faithful to logging your foods and you'll see continued success. I did it slowly, only requiring that I lose 1 lb. per week. Make small goals, like 5 or 10 lbs. at a time. Don't think about the big numbers because you'll only get frustrated. I would also suggest weighing once per week to avoid frustration. Your weight will fluctuate due to hormones and water weight, etc. Don't give up! You can do it!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I wanted to have that surgery but I can't seem to quit smoking and can't afford the co-pays at this time. I would like to know what the gastric-bypass actually does? I mean, does it make it so you are not hungry and eat a lot less food? I thought that if you go below a certain caloric intake your body will hold onto the weight, so what is the deal with the surgeries? I can go on a normal diet and eat as much as if I had the gastric bypass right? What does it really help with and how? I'm doing it on my own for now but am still strongly trying to get the surgery but I want to know the difference of the two, having it done and doing it on your own. Thanks so much! I would appreciate any feedback so I can educate myself on having this done or not.

Wow, before going into this you really should consider a lot of research. Sure, what people say is great and informative but some serious research is in order here.
  • JustAGirlNASolution
    Options
    Some good sites (besides education your doctor will give) are:
    1) www.verticalsleevetalk.com
    2) www.thinnertimes.com
    3) www.obesityhelp.com

I did tons of research before deciding to go through with surgery. Sure, you can lose weight on your own. But keeping it off is a different story. Most diets are fads and are not realistic in continuing long term.
  • priskar
    Options

Wow, before going into this you really should consider a lot of research. Sure, what people say is great and informative but some serious research is in order here.

Very true. Before undergoing ANY kind of WLS I you should not only consult with your primary care physician but consult several surgeons. Do research on each type of surgery and weigh the benefits and risks and success/failure rates with each. Know the success/complication rate of your surgeon and hospital. I'd go to support groups and talk to patients who have had the various surgeries to talk with them about life after WLS. Do some research about how these patients are maintaining 5 years out or more.

Weight loss surgery is just a tool. You will have to cognizant of food and exercise. Your surgery just makes it a little easier.

Research, research, research is a must. Thanks for the reminder Edorice. Though many of these surgeries are now done via laperoscaply (some with even a single tiny incision) they are still major surgery that often cannot be reversed. Be sure you know what you're getting into. :)
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Thanks for the post! The doc did tell me they remove the hunger hormone but I gotta tell you, I still get hungry...not head hungry...stomach hungry. Now I feel like I eat too much! I'm frustrated.
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I did a lot of research too and was very prepared before surgery and after. I agree about the yo yo dieting which is why this surgery was ideal for me. I don't ever want to gain it back (even though I know you can)!
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Good points! I'd like to hear from people who have had the vertical sleeve surgery that are about 2 or more years out. What problems are you facing?
  • Katz85340
    Options
    I have a very fatty liver. They said I'd die if I didn't do something immediately. I was also pre-diabetic (not any more!) and had high blood pressure (not any more!). I thought the same thing about myself, "If you've lost this much on your own, why not lose the rest on your own?" Well, a couple reasons: 1) Because of the liver; and 2) Because I've been on so many diets, losing and gaining, losing and gaining. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to lose it once and for all and keep it off, be healthier, have more energy, and live to see my children be married and see my grandchildren. I'm determined to keep this weight off!