Low fat diet for gallbladder surgery

Options
I've been diagnosed with gallbladder disease. I'm due to have it removed next week. I was told low fat diet. I've tried some low fat things and some do irritate me, some don't. I would like to know from others who have gone through this what foods you've tried. I'm ok with fish and chicken so far. As long as it is fixed right. I've been told to stay away from some dairy... I already drink fat free milk. Just wondering if there some people out there with some ideas. I'm so hungry but I'm having issues finding foods that agree with me.

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    (((hugs)))) My mum had this done last year, she was told anything that was less than 4% fat was ok to eat, that seemed to work for her.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    That kinda helps me knowing a number. Thanks.
  • EmmmyK
    EmmmyK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    there is a pill that you can take to help with your bowel movements, ask your surgeon. I had my gallbladder removed about 12 years ago, and that was helpful..Eventually your body will get used to those foods again but for now eat low-fat foods in moderation.

There is also almond milk, that is helpful you can buy it at the organic stores and brown rice along with chicken and fresh veggies, add lots of garlic and spices to your food which will help in the taste..

Good Luck
    Emily
  • specialk1177
    specialk1177 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My cousin had hers taken out & she lived on rice & mashed potatoes for a week & then was able to go back to eating normally. She's a nurse & said that she was just supposed to eat bland food for about a week. Luckily bland food is low fat which is probably why the Dr. said bland & not low fat as at the time she was very overweight so "low fat" would be 1 double burger instead of 2. When her sister had hers out she ate a lot of fish & mashed potatoes again only for about a week, maybe 2 & then was able to go back to eating normally.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed over a year ago. Everyone told me that I would be running to the bathroom anytime I ate anything. But it's not been any different for me. I've never been one that likes a lot of greasy food, so that was never a problem. Even when I do go out and eat a bad meal, I don't have that problem. I think the bathroom problem may only happen when you consistently eat fatty foods.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I have a few more ideas now on some foods.

Thanks
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    Stay away from spicy stuff too.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options

I dont think it matters too much lol I had mines removed years ago .
    I eat and drink anything I want really I guess for the first few months just take it easy.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options

I dont think it matters too much lol I had mines removed years ago .
    I eat and drink anything I want really I guess for the first few months just take it easy.

She hasn't had the surgery yet. Spicy Mexican food is what set mine off before I had it removed. After surgery I could eat (and still do) anything without a problem.