Seedy Counting

This may be TMI, but it puzzles me none the less

Do you still count food into your calorie allowance if a lot of it passes through you undigested?

I eat a lot of raw flaxseed/linseeds everyday for my fat goals (im vegan), and i love eating them, but ive noticed that you *ahem* sort of get the same effect as unchewed corn with them, as in they pass out in their undigested form. A large portion actually.
Thus, should i assume the actual calorie content im getting from them is lower than what i measure out and eat?

Also, i do not wish the grind them and eat them that way. I enjoy eating them whole, i just want to know what to log calories/amount wise

Replies

• Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Well first off I would just count them, unless you're going to take apart your poop and measure/weigh the leftover seeds :sick:

Second, if you're eating them to make your fat goals you'll have to grind/break them. Whole flaxseeds don't get digested properly (as you found out) and that way they do nothing for your fat goals.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    I second weighing your poop. If its over a kilo, take a picture and post it in the Success Story section.

randy-pooping-o.gif
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    This is why I believe corn is a 0 calorie food. It comes out looking exactly the same as it went in!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    these foods are not actually passing out undigested usually... it's the husk/kernal that is passed along with all the other fibre in your diet but in most cases the inside has been digested but kind of gets refilled with other waste (sorry to be gross!!)

so yes you should count them.

Some seeds are more easily absorbed if they're processed before eating, e.g. crushed. So you may get slightly fewer calories eating them whole, but you'll also get fewer micronutrients.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    I second weighing your poop. If its over a kilo, take a picture and post it in the Success Story section.

randy-pooping-o.gif

Definitely this /\
  • fittynits
    fittynits Posts: 2
    Are you sure they are being digested? Some information ive read says that your stomach acid is unable to break through the shell and whole flax seeds may pass through your gut completely intact
  • ekallio2
    ekallio2 Posts: 1 Member
    Your body is not perfect at digesting foods, so you do not get all the actual calories in your foods when you eat something.

What dietitians put on labels is a best guess on what your body will actually digest, so there's no need to worry about undigested foods.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    I sometimes cook flaxseeds whole, and they are a nice crunchy addition, but I believe that the oil also separates to some extent(I've seen oily residue when I was only cooking with water) and I also chew them, so I log the full amount as I would rather err on the low side than on the high side...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    You're over thinking it
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    You're over thinking it

Oh my heavens - THIS^^^
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    i prefer them ground up ..you get more of the nutty flavour .. i grind mine in pestle n mortar and usually mix them all up at once..linseed/pumpkin/poppy/sesame seeds .. GREAT topping for chicken breasts :)
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    As someone already mentioned.. You're not receiving the nutritional benefits such as the omega 3's from the seeds if they aren't ground up. I'm a vegan as well and put them in my smoothies.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    You're over thinking it

Pretty much.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    This is why I believe corn is a 0 calorie food. It comes out looking exactly the same as it went in!!

God, I wish that were true. I'd just eat corn all the time :)

Unfortunately(?), your body digests everything on the inside of the kernel via the opening in the seed coating (corn does not have an unbroken skin) and just passes out the outer layer.

Whole seeds may be different, since the seed coat is often intact. After all, that's how plants distribute seeds via birds.... maybe I should just swallow seeds whole when I'm hungry :D