I NEED HELP!!!!!!

Options
I have exactly one year minus 5 days for my daughter's 15th birthday party and I can't seem to get back on track with my weight loss. I feel so gross and every day I tell myself that this is it. I was doing really good. We had the biggest loser contest at work and I lost 35lbs in 8 weeks but after the contest was over I stopped losing weight. i have been able to maintain and have not gained the 35lbs back but I admit ....i have not been eating the way I was eating during the contest and I have not been exercising the way I should be. I also attribute this to shift change. I was working graveyard and I was packing my lunch. I was able to stick to my healthy eating but now that i work dayshift I come home in the evening and my family has all kinds of snacks out like corn chips (which are my weakness). How in the world am I going to get back on track?????

Replies

• mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    Well, you've got 2 things going for you. You know what to do as you have recently done it, and you've been able to keep it off.

You just need to do it again. Get your family to support you. Maybe it's time to change the eating habits of others in your household too. Ditch the bad foods. It's not helping anyone having garbage around.

Start cooking. Your 15 yr old can help. Pick 1 or 2 nights a week where you'll cook a healthy meal together as a family.
  • sarahgaye
    sarahgaye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a challenge is what you need. Set yourself a goal, and tell EVERYONE about it (that way you're more likely to stick to it). If you have a freind looking to lose weight, maybe make it a competition. Tell your family you're serious, this is something you need to do and you would appreciate if they supported you, aka not have junk sitting around at arm's length!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Take small steps. Start with just logging your food. Not changing it, just log it. Then start making little changes one at a time- change your snacks, adjust a couple lunches, start deciding ahead of time how many times in a week you will "eat out". It can be really overwhelming to just jump in. Try taking it slowly and worry more about changing rather than about losing weight immediately.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Make a List. Set Goals. DONT PUT THE TRASH IN YOUR MOUTH.

Sorry, thats my tough Love.

It is hard to bounce back sometimes. Mentally prepare yourself and make realistic goals. You have done it before, so you KNOW that you can dop it again!!
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I am having a rough patch I try to eat carotts (the crunch reminds me of chips). I try to think that I am eating the thing I really want. Just try to stay positive and excersie. When I am feeling down about my weight loss I force myself to get on the treadmill. It makes me feel so much better in the end.
  • RodgerBuckley
    RodgerBuckley Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i have not been eating the way I was eating during the contest and I have not been exercising the way I should be
    How in the world am I going to get back on track?????

You already answered your own question :wink: You KNOW what you have to do, you KNOW you've already done it before, you KNOW you can do it again!

Chocolate is my weakness, so I just don't buy it. I also love homemade Apple Pie or Apple crumble, but when I do have the occasional one, it's as a one-off treat, and it's a SMALL portion.

It's all about willpower, and it's a bit like giving up smoking. Break the habit, put your mind to something else, reap the rewards!

I know it's not that easy, but the longer you allow yourself to ignore what your head is saying you SHOULD be doing, the harder it will be to get back on track. So . . . . . . .

S T O P now, and give yourself a good talking to!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to know is that you can control the way you feel about yourself. You are NOT gross, and you needn't think of yourself in that way.

Do you have a mirror in your bathroom? Write the following on a piece of paper and tape it to your mirror.

I AM A STRONG AND BEAUTIFUL WOMAN AND I CAN DO ANYTHING I CHOOSE TO DO.

When you start your day, read it out loud as many times as it takes to believe it.

Starting today, choose ONE meal and make it healthier. If it is breakfast, include fruit, protein, and fiber. If it is lunch, make it yourself rather than eating out. Find an interesting person to chat with while you eat your lunch. Learn ONE thing about them that you didn't know before.

Ask your kids for their help. Tell them that you wants to feel better and ask them to help you find things you can munch on. They just might want to munch on the same things. Apple slices, baby carrots, celery sticks, cauliflower bits, grapes, low-sodium pretzel sticks, cherry tomatoes - kids can be very creative. Make it a game and it will be fun.

Speaking of the kids, all kids seem to like charts - get them to join in charting your progress, recording what you eat, etc. Give them your target (1200-1400 calories), and when evening comes, if you have leftover calories to use, let them choose a reward for you.

I wish I had kids still at home to share all of this with me, but it is helping that my husband is also on the journey. We chart each other, encourage each other and brain-storm about interesting things we can eat each day. Actually, it's brought us closer than we've been in a long time.

You can do this. Remember, you are a strong and beautiful woman and can do anything you choose to do.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to know is that you can control the way you feel about yourself. You are NOT gross, and you needn't think of yourself in that way.

Do you have a mirror in your bathroom? Write the following on a piece of paper and tape it to your mirror.

I AM A STRONG AND BEAUTIFUL WOMAN AND I CAN DO ANYTHING I CHOOSE TO DO.

When you start your day, read it out loud as many times as it takes to believe it.

Starting today, choose ONE meal and make it healthier. If it is breakfast, include fruit, protein, and fiber. If it is lunch, make it yourself rather than eating out. Find an interesting person to chat with while you eat your lunch. Learn ONE thing about them that you didn't know before.

Ask your kids for their help. Tell them that mommy wants to feel better and ask them to help you find things you can munch on. They just might want to munch on the same things. Apple slices, baby carrots, celery sticks, cauliflower bits, grapes, low-sodium pretzel sticks, cherry tomatoes - kids can be very creative. Make it a game and it will be fun for you all.

Speaking of the kids, all kids seem to like charts - get them to join in charting your progress, recording what you eat, etc. Give them your target (1200-1400 calories), and when evening comes, if you have leftover calories to use, let them choose a reward for you.

I wish I had kids still at home to share all of this for me, but it is helping that my husband is also on the journey. We chart each other, encourage each other and brain-storm about interesting things be can eat each day. Actually, it's brought us closer than we've been in a long time.

You can do this. Remember, you are a strong and beautiful woman and can do anything you choose to do.

A wonderfully, thoughtful reply and solid, good advice.

After that, I have only one tip to offer and it may or may not be feasible in your household. Get re-energized and get the support of your family behind you and then, you with as many of your family members as you can get to help you, purge your refrigerator and your pantry/cupboards. Get rid of anything that's unhealthful or tempting to you. Then don't restock your cupboards with that same kind of thing, but instead replace what you tossed with healthy, quick foods. Buy some beautiful honey crisp apples and wash them and shine them up and put them in the fridge in a pretty bowl at an easy-to-get at elevation. Buy grapes and wash them off and cut them into little segments and put them in a bowl too. Have plenty of nonfat yogurts and nonfat dairy available and tons of whole grain foods, sweet potatoes and thing that you like and are also nutritious and filling.

Having a "clean" kitchen will do wonders in terms of keeping you on track, and the purging process can be inspiring and motivational.

Good luck to you. You've done well. just get after it again!!!
  • truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support and good advice. I know I can do this ....I already started by burning off 200 cals on the treadmill on my last break.