Breathing While Working Out!

Options
I know you prob heard this a million times. "Breath In Thru Your Nose & Out Your Mouth" to get thru those hardcore fat burning workout's. If your not breathing correctly your not going to get thru your hard core work out! Trust me. I felt like I was going to pass out many times. I use this technique ever day at the gym. Have not have a problem since.

Replies

• BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info :-)
  • bhonniered
    Options
    Always a good reminder - Thanks!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I definitely can tell the difference when I am breathing correctly and am not. I feel like I can go sooo much longer when I breathe correctly. You feel more energy. It's great. But sometimes I do forget!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I know you prob heard this a million times. "Breath In Thru Your Nose & Out Your Mouth" to get thru those hardcore fat burning workout's. If your not breathing correctly your not going to get thru your hard core work out! Trust me. I felt like I was going to pass out many times. I use this technique ever day at the gym. Have not have a problem since.

Blimey, there is no way I could breath in through my nose whilst I am running, I would pass out through lack of oxygen! I would just not be able to take big enough chunks of air when I am out of breath..

I do, however, breath that way in my normal day-to-day life.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Lotus, I think Blue was referencing strength training. I am too a runner and it would be difficult to not open your mouth when running, especially when you enter the aerobic phase of the run.
  • Deputy95
    Options
    Breathing depends on what you are doing. Squatting and dead lifting you should be taking a deep breath at the beginning and holding it though out the rep. It fills the chest and stomach cavity and protects the spine
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Always a great reminder, thanks!

I'm a runner and through most of my run I breath in thru my nose and out thru my mouth. I guess it's a personal preferance.

Karen
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Holding your breath during any strength training exercise can actually be quite dangerous. Your lungs should not be considered a support network for Squats and Deadlifts, as that's the Core's job.

Holding your breath during any kind of heavy lifting creates a spike in blood pressure that could lead to dizziness or even fainting. Not something you want to do when you're on the Squat rack for sure.

As well, Breathing is part of the Cardio vascular cycle, so with every breath, you're re-delivering oxygen into the blood stream, feeding the cells and returning waste byproducts out of the system.

This is the basis for breathing during exercise of any kind regardless of the movement. - Inhalation is the intake of cellular fuel (Oxygen) and Exhalation being the exhaust of waste by product (Carbon Dioxide). (I won't go into the detailed cellular breakdown)

For Strength training, it's recommended to exhale during the push / contraction phase of the exercise since that it when the muscle is under the most stress and demands more blood flow for energy.

Tip: Have trouble breathing during your reps? Count out loud and vocalize them. Even if it's in a whisper tone, you can't talk while holding your breath. :-)

Cheers!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Lotus, I think Blue was referencing strength training. I am too a runner and it would be difficult to not open your mouth when running, especially when you enter the aerobic phase of the run.

Ack yes, you are right :embarassed:

I am going now, I think I am going nuts :laugh: