Christmas Challenge: Part 2--Flee to Egypt (420 km)

RaeN81
RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
We've traveled from Nazareth to Bethlehem to honour the journey that Mary and Joseph took. Now, for those of us that have completed it, an even bigger challenge!

I'm calling this one "Flee to Egypt" because after the birth of Christ, Mary and Joseph were forced to flee to Egypt so that their newborn child would not be killed by the authorities. We will literally need to flee (read: kill it) to get there!

The challenge: traverse the 420 km (261 miles) which is the distance (as the crow flies) from Bethlehem, Israel to Cairo, Egypt by Ukrainian Orthodox Christmas (January 7, 2011).

Biblically there is no specific location in Egypt, so I picked a central location in this country. Also, I gave us some extra time by choosing Ukrainian Christmas as the deadline because the challenge will then encourage us to work off all those extra holidays goodies (plus, it's a much greater challenge!)

I'll be starting challenge personally on Monday November 22, 2010. If you are ready now, feel free to begin without me!
With one rest day a week, I'll have 38 workout days to complete this challenge, which works out to 11.05 km (6.86 miles) everyday, which is doable for me but will force me to be consistent!

Replies

• I think that is amazing and I applaud your journey. My family will be thinking about you as you make your trip

Rob
    Canada
  • RaeN81
    Thanks! I should clarify that I will be doing most of this on a stationary bike in my basement.:happy: The idea is to travel the distance in whatever way possible (any measurable distance) counts including swimming, pedometers, running, elliptical, whatever way people can get it in. It's in honour of the original journey.
  • What a neat idea!
  • I thought you were making the actual journey. I feel silly. But I still think it's a great idea and applaud your effort. I bet Joseph wished he had a bike to travel on back in the day ... course it wasnt invented yet ... smiles ... Rob
  • Purpleraen
    Purpleraen Posts: 1 Member
    Sounds like alot of fun, but I need to finish the first challenge!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    I'm in!
  • RaeN81
    First 14 km down-406 km to go!

Still need to make a ticker, I'll be putting one up soon!
  • RaeN81
    Getting them done, one day at a time!!! Already have more than 10% done, hoping for 20% by the end of the week!
  • Val_from_OH
    I updated my ticker, but boy do I have a long way to go! 6 hours of shopping yesterday was a big help :happy:
  • RaeN81
    20% complete after week 1. This is achievable with consistency!
  • RaeN81
    100 km done, woohooo!
  • Val_from_OH
    Great work! I updated my ticker today to get back to my usual Tuesday schedule. I'm going to have to up the exercise if I'm going to make it in time!
  • RaeN81
    Wow, it's been a tough week. Got the flu and I've fallen way behind on the exercise. This week I am hoping to ease myself back into to it and then hit it hard the following week! So far, 133 km down and lots to go!!
  • Val_from_OH
    Rae, is it just me & you in this challenge? Updated today - another 25 miles down.
  • RaeN81
    I think it might be---but that's okay, I'm enjoying it! I have been at a bit of a standstill lately since in the last week I've had the flu and then a cold---grrrr!
  • Val_from_OH
    Haven't hit the 1/2 way mark yet, but I'm plugging along! All the Christmas shopping really helps!
  • RaeN81
    Halfway there!!!
  • RaeN81
    I have the same number of kilometers left as the original challenge! Wooohooo!
  • RaeN81
    Getting it done. So close to 300 km!
  • RaeN81
    62 km to go and I'd like to try to finish by the end of the year, but we'll see!
This discussion has been closed.