Lets team together and report the spam

Options
I love going on these forums but lately a few people have joined mfp specificly to spam the forums with their posts. I keep reporting them but they keep popping up. I am hoping if everyone reports them then the mediators will listen. :flowerforyou: Please report spam

Replies

• janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
    Amazing weight-loss, by the way! Congratulations!!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I do report it but the response time is appalling. I think this is because the spammers are in India and the deleters are in the USA so there's several hours delay.

There are technical solutions to this - any post flagged as spam could be rendered invisible until adjudicated or newly signed members could have thier first 5 posts passed through a moderator.

Alternatively MFP could get some European or Asian moderators on board for this task.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    They're automatic bots which join and spam. They aren't real people. The forum is old programming and lacks the requisite security functions on sign up to stop them. They need to upgrade the boards before it will stop.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    They're automatic bots which join and spam. They aren't real people. The forum is old programming and lacks the requisite security functions on sign up to stop them. They need to upgrade the boards before it will stop.

Yes, and the moderators do a pretty good job of cleaning it up when it happens. Yes it takes them time, but when the boards are spammed to the extent which occurs, it is going to be a time consuming process. It also depends in part on who's on and available to clean it up.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Yes, and the moderators do a pretty good job of cleaning it up when it happens. Yes it takes them time, but when the boards are spammed to the extent which occurs, it is going to be a time consuming process. It also depends in part on who's on and available to clean it up.

Exactly, they do a really good job of staying on top of it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Exactly, they do a really good job of staying on top of it.

I guess you're in the same time zone as them. They are really slow at removing it, as in hours.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    We're all in this together. You can do it!
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think the moderators are doing the best they can. I'm sure it only takes one of us to report it before it gets their attention, and like some have said there may be a time zone difference.

Have you ever read the crap they posted? Complete gibberish. Does anyone really fall for it and click on their links, enough to make it worthwhile for them to continue posting it? If so, it's astounding to me that anyone can be that foolish. Some of the phrasing in those posts makes me laugh. :-)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am in. I will report as soon as I see it. I am in Maryland.
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Incorporating some type of "captcha" programming would probably add time to posting messages.. but necessary? I just don't understand the need to sign up for an account, then spam the *kitten* out of us about some "divorce psychic guru"... please... smart people know that stuff doesn't work!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Personally, in support of ingenuity and entrepreneurial spirit, I support the spammers. For every spam post your team reports, I will not report two.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2XsDjnthKLD8dkG-TJ68Vsx90y9g1k8sSFnacfRKvtTk0TqPlXg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    file_170143_0_planeteers.jpg
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Spambots are people too you know!

I hope one of these spambots starts a "Why is everyone so mean" thread.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    In

For tag teaming.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    What's so wrong with Spam?

Spam_zps10f73bc1.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Spambots are people too you know!
    moto-as-gossamer.jpg
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    At least the spambots aren't BB Coaches.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    We have buying everything you need. Get beuaty. Feel love. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1354129-baba-feels-magic-nice-potion-89dsfg98765dfgg5565

we have friend...
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    On behalf of all robots, I am shocked and disgusted by the spam robot SHAMING that is taking place in this thread...you people should be.......ashamed of yourselves!

18s0g3grlnxr5jpg.jpg