Too much protein?

Options
I'm usually over my protein numbers - seriously even the green beans had protein! Is that bad?

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Nope. Some people on here set their protein higher, some (like me) just its going to be over every day. Your body needs the protein to build and repair the muscles which are going to help you burn fat.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was a good bit over mine yesterday too. but i dont have an answer for u. is too much protein a bad thing or is that just the target for us all?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up with 15% of total calories from protein. A balanced diet consist of protein between 10% and 30%, so you can double the MFP amount and be okay. If you do any type of working out then you should be higher than the 15% MFP defaults too. you can change your amounts by going to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes then click save changes. You can try by increasing protein by 5% and lower carbs by 5%, if you are still going over you can then go to 25% protein and lower fat by 5%. Good luck.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    the protein settings on here are a little low, and if you're working out extra protein is good for you :)
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I agree that the default protein settings are a little low. Do what works for you. For me, I know that I feel better when I eat a little less carbs and a little more protein.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about exceeding 15%, that seems a bit low to begin with. I try to hit 40%, or 270g, but I'm male and do heavy weight lifting 3 days a week.

There are some side effects to too much protein but that's at relatively high levels of protein. If you are noticing you don't have the enery to finish your workouts you might need to cut back and up the carbs a bit. The article below has some info on the topic

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet

Tim
  • Tlcbreuer
    Tlcbreuer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Laura, basically by New USDA Dietary Guidelines it depends on the amount of calories you have set for your daily goal.

for instance if you are on a 1300 to 1400 calorie diet then you should only have 4 ounces of meat or beans per day. This does not include the proteins in other foods like green beans and such. Only the the meats, beans, nuts and eggs.

1500 - 1600 = 5 oz

1700 - 1800 = 5 - 5.5

1900 - 2000 = 5.5 - 6.5

And so on... I hope this helps.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Thanks. It's good to know that the protein number is just one point in a range. I'm trying to eat a balanced diet (i.e. not low carbs) so I won't stress if I'm a little over on any particular day.