A Son's Motivation

Options
I am a soda fiend, easily drinking 72 oz a day, sometimes more.

Three months ago my son, who happens to be physically fit, offered me a friendly wager. His wager, was for me to cut the processed sugars out of my diet. Whoa, slow down son, that's just too much of a change. He smiled sheepishly and countered with, "Okay, loose the soda for a month." What happens if I win? His reply, "I'll build the stone retaining wall you were contemplating, or I'll help you with another landscaping project." Great, what happens if I lose? His reply, "Your health continues to suffer and I lose you before your time."

That choked me up, I took the bet. It's been three months since I drank a soda.

Replies

• jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post! Congratulations on you BOTH being winners!!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's all I have to say. Good on both of you. Hope you are enjoying that retaining wall!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    That's great but are you going to start drinking them again or stick with it and not drink it anymore?

ETA: I was just wondering not trying to be an *kitten*......
    I quit soda for about 3/4 months but I did start drinking it again
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I really like this wager, love the push of caring family member, but you can always switch to diet soda. I stopped drinking regular sodas around 6 years ago, mostly drink water, coffee, and beer, but I still have a diet Coke about every other day or so. Just trying to make adherence to your diet plan a little bit easier.
  • YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    the more you avoid soda the less you want it. you may find that one day you try to drink coke again and its just a sickly syrupy horrible taste. I can't stand coke or Pepsi and haven't drank either for years. every time I try it again I just don't like it as much as I remember.
  • KJ14
    KJ14 Posts: 287
    Options
    That's awesome.
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    jfauci - Glad you enjoyed the post and thank you for the encouragement.

drojen - Thanks, and yes I am enjoying the new retaining wall.

#tambam69 - No worries on the perception of your post, I enjoy all feedback. I sure hope I've had my last soda. If it becomes a habit again, my son may tear down the retaining wall. (Just kidding)

#SunofaBeach14 - Good recommendations on the diet soda. One never knows what may be available to drink in social settings. I tend to stay with water, coffee, and the occasional beer or class of wine myself.

#Yamamaya1 - I hope I experience the same thing in regards to regular soda being too sweet to drink in the future. That would be a good motivator not to drink it.

KJ14 - Thanks!
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Well, it's just a few days shy of being a full year since I my last soda. Looks like it might stick this time. :)

Please note that I am not implying that soda is evil, I just choose to consume the calories in a more productive manner.