Motivation: A closet full of clothes that don't fit.

Options
Sometimes saying I want to be healthy isn't always the motivation I need. So I think about all the cute clothes I have that are too small and try to remember how good it felt to walk into a store and be able to try things on without feeling ashamed.

Sometimes extrinsic motivators work better than intrinsic.

What other motivators do you use?

Extrinsic vs Intrinsic: which is more effective? Which is more effective for long term weight loss/maintenance motivation?

Replies

• jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Extrinsic: I want to look hot, want to fit into my lovely dresses that are now snug, i can buy any dress or top without having to review how my back or butt looks in it, to stop comments on how i can stand to lose a li'l weight and not to have to untag my pics just because an unflattering angle makes me look huge.

Intrinsic: I want to be strong and healthy. I want to do yoga with poise like the instructors. I want my body to be strong enough to endure the onslaught of aging.

Both factors are equally important. Mostly extrinsic factors work, because the pleasure of seeing people's jaw drop when they see your hot bod in a stunning dress is priceless.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sometimes saying I want to be healthy isn't always the motivation I need. So I think about all the cute clothes I have that are too small and try to remember how good it felt to walk into a store and be able to try things on without feeling ashamed.

Sometimes extrinsic motivators work better than intrinsic.

What other motivators do you use?

Extrinsic vs Intrinsic: which is more effective? Which is more effective for long term weight loss/maintenance motivation?

I prefer a comprehensive approach. It's not mind over matter, its mind and matter. In the same way having extrinsic and intrinsic goals can work synergistically to help you improve.

I have a pair of size 32 speedo's I hope to be able to wear to the beach one day to get a nice tan. It's kind of like putting money where my mouth is. If I don't achieve my goals I just blew 20-30 bucks, if I do achieve them then not only did I not waste my money, but I got to do something I once thought I would never be able to do.
  • losingit4infinity
    losingit4infinity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is definitely good advice, Generally when I try one or the other it doesn't work out for me. with a tendency to self sabotage I am pretty good at convincing myself that any kind of motivation isn't working and just quit, do it tomorrow or take a break for a few days that turn into weeks and the vicious cycle continues. Perhaps putting some money where my mouth would make for a good investment. Financially I am very frugal and conscientious. All of the clothes in my closet I wore at point so it doesn't feel like I have spent money and lost out.

A new investment may be the ticket.
  • catherinet89
    catherinet89 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would buy a pair of jeans a size or two too small and make sure i see it everyday. That was always great motivation. Yes i have a trunk full of too small clothing. Motivation continues lol.