Fat

Options
Look, I understand that a gram of fat has 9 calories where a gram of protein or carbohydrate has around 4 grams each. So, I can see where switching to low-fat or fat-free dairy can help someone cut calories.

But I'm having a hard time with that. My friend is trying to convince me to switch from full-fat to low-fat cheese, and it's horrible. I don't drink milk often, but when I do, I prefer whole milk. I've tried switching to low fat, and I actually notice a slightly bitter taste. My friend claims that 0% Greek yogurt is no different than 2% in taste, but I definitely noticed that the 2% is creamier.. and the Fage Total (4%) is even better (but it's harder to find and usually pricier).

My friend is in the club of belief that it is all down to calories in vs calories out for weight loss, and I've seen various pieces of evidence that actually disprove that. I'm more in the belief that it is the artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners in our diet. It's the hormones and pesticides in our foods (though, unfortunately, I'm not in a position to switch to all organic foods). It's the added sugar, refined white flour, and artificial fats (hydrogenated oils- not saturated fats from animals).

I feel better when I cook with coconut and olive oils. I can go hours between meals without giving food a second though. When I eat a low fat meal with little to no oil, I'm starving an hour later.

But is my friend right? Should I cut down to only low-fat dairy, and cut out things like nuts and nut butters? Should I stop cooking with oils or adding olive oil to my salads?

Replies

• JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Fats are fine as long as you are in a calorie deficit. I'm more interested in this evidence that disproves calories in - calories out. I hope it's scientific and peer reviewed. In my efforts to learn more, I'd love a link.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. Eat eat less move more. Scientific? Maybe not but it sure as heck works for me. I used to be of the mindset of your friend...low fat, sugar free and what not. I am slowly changing my ways to full fat and no sweetners. Sure I have to have a tiny bit less in volume of food and drink but oh what a difference.
    Good luck in your journey...do what works for you not your friend.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    CICO

I also love cooking with coconut oil.
    I love me some big 'ol greasy cheeseburger.
    Pork Belly = Mmmmmm goodness.

Ignore your friend. Enjoy your fats.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Look, I understand that a gram of fat has 9 calories where a gram of protein or carbohydrate has around 4 grams each. So, I can see where switching to low-fat or fat-free dairy can help someone cut calories.

that only works if you eat a constant amount of grams. If you eat less of the good stuff you may take in less calories than the unsatisfying low fat (usually higher sugar) stuff.
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It is about calories in vs. calories out, but it also has to do with what kinds of fats and calories you put into your body. Healthy fats are okay, like avocados and such. Empty calories are just a complete waste of your precious calories that you could be eating each day (although I'm completely guilty of consuming empty calories myself on occasion). It's really all about the type of calories in my opinion.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

But I'm having a hard time with that. My friend is trying to convince me to switch from full-fat to low-fat cheese, and it's horrible. I don't drink milk often, but when I do, I prefer whole milk. I've tried switching to low fat, and I actually notice a slightly bitter taste. My friend claims that 0% Greek yogurt is no different than 2% in taste, but I definitely noticed that the 2% is creamier.. and the Fage Total (4%) is even better (but it's harder to find and usually pricier).
    Reduced is the same as depleted. Go with your gut!
    My friend is in the club of belief that it is all down to calories in vs calories out for weight loss, and I've seen various pieces of evidence that actually disprove that.
    CICO is not yet disproved, and never will be. But there are other factors that are in play too. Appetite, body composition, age, preference, lifestyle, taste and so on.
    I'm more in the belief that it is the artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners in our diet. It's the hormones and pesticides in our foods (though, unfortunately, I'm not in a position to switch to all organic foods). It's the added sugar, refined white flour, and artificial fats (hydrogenated oils- not saturated fats from animals).
    Too much of anything is not good, and a lot of what we eat is not very healthy. But none of these things cause obesity, only too many calories in and too few calories out can do that.
    I feel better when I cook with coconut and olive oils. I can go hours between meals without giving food a second though. When I eat a low fat meal with little to no oil, I'm starving an hour later.
    There you have it! If you eat less, be it smaller portions, or less energy dense food, or longer between meals, you lose or maintain weight. It's all about calories. But full fat foods are more satiating for the same amount of calories. Some vitamins will be absorbed only in the presence of fat, so the notion of starvation can be for real.
    But is my friend right? Should I cut down to only low-fat dairy, and cut out things like nuts and nut butters? Should I stop cooking with oils or adding olive oil to my salads?
    No. That sounds just stupid. Eat what you like.