Strength Training vs. Bodybuilding

Options
I have to post this because I get irritated when people use the phrases bodybuilding, weightlifting, and strength training like they are synonymous and try and provide advice on one by using principles and philosophies of the other. For example I am a strength trainer and one day plan on competing in a Power Lifting competition. I like the idea of training for functional real-world strength. As a result, while I understand the principles of body building, I am not experienced in it and would not attempt to provide advice on the topic, I will leave that to the bodybuilding community.

As a disclaimer I will admit in advance that I am grossly generalizing and simplifying much of what is written here, so don’t come complaining if I didn’t depict your sport/method/recreation with enough detail or how you would have. I also apologize in advance for any bias I may show, being that I am a strength trainer and don’t understand bodybuilding in the sense of, why would you want to do that? Anyways, here is the basic breakdown.

Bodybuilding – Simply put, bodybuilding is the process of lifting weights for aesthetics and results in larger yet less dense muscles, whether you plan to compete or not is irrelevant. In bodybuilding the lifter typically focuses on isolation exercises and uses higher rep ranges, (usually 8 – 12 reps) to flush large amounts of blood through the muscles for maximum “pump”. This results in a pumped/inflated look in the muscles and causes the muscles to be larger in size. Additionally bodybuilders tend to only exercise a muscle once or, at max, twice per week. However, little known to most modern day bodybuilders is that pioneers of bodybuilding actually built there base strength through strength training prior to becoming bodybuilders.

Strength Training – Again, in simple terms, strength training is the process of lifting weights to build functional strength and results in smaller, yet more dense muscles. In strength training the lifter tends to focus on muscle groups rather than individual muscles through compound muscle exercises. The lifter will also use heavier weights for fewer reps (usually 5 – 8 reps) to increase the total amount of “work “ performed (using the physics definition of work). The strength gained from strength training translates directly to real-world activities because in the real world you use multiple muscles to perform most tasks. Strength trainers also tend to exercise the same muscle groups two to three times per week.

A note on the differences: While strength training and bodybuilding are mostly opposites, there is overlap. A body builder will get stronger and a strength trainer will get larger muscles, however a body builder will not get as strong as a strength trainer and a strength trainer will not get as bulky as a bodybuilder (in general terms).

Power Lifting – Power lifting is a competition where a competitor will attempt to lift as much weight as has he/she can on three main exercises; squats, deadlifts, and bench press. Power lifters engage in strength training techniques.

Weight Lifting – Weight lifting is your free pass, because both bodybuilding and strength training require the physical lifting of weights, so use this term wherever you like, you have my permission:-) However, the term weight lifter is often attributed to profession Olympic weight lifting competitors. Olympic lifting is not the same as power lifting because different rules and different lifts are used. Olympic weight lifters also use strength training techniques.

Replies

• SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I totally agree.. while I am more interested in the bodybuilding aspect of it I know very little about powerlifting and wouldn't use my knowledge of bodybuilding to give advice on powerlifting.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    great thread!